Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to buy an 9mm AR. It has a Bushmaster lower and an Olympic upper with a bull barrel and flat top receiver. I know Olympic aren't very well thought of but this will be purely a paper puncher/plinker.

I already have 9mm weapons (XD's) and am about to start reloading as the buckets are filling up with brass fast. This combined with my desire for a black rifle and the rising cost of all ammo makes it seem quite attractive.

The asking price is around $600, and the condition of the weapon is good. Does this seem reasonable? I'm aware that for a few hundred more I could probably get a better rifle but 600 is pretty much my limit right now.

All opinions appreciated.

·
Premium Member
3,762 Posts
I guess as nothing more than a plinker it would be fine.

However, I would personally not own a 9mm rifle, period. I purchase rifles to have a RIFLE. 9mm is pistol ammo. Rifle ammo is powerful and extremely high velocity designed to do something totally different than pistols/pistol ammo.

I really think you would be let down if you bought one then decided you would have rather had a real rifle caliber. Still, upper assemblies can be purchased and you can change it later on if your needs and wants change.

·
Registered
68 Posts
If you can, try to shoot it first to verify function with whatever mags are included. I'm not a huge Olympic fan, or a BM fan either for that matter, but $600 would be tough to beat (although it makes me think something must be wrong with it too).

I think that 9mm has lots of application in a rifle, but even more so in a subgun or SBR.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
$600 is a GREAT price for it regardless. You can always grab a .223/5.56 complete upper, remove the Mag Block from the lower, and you have a fully functional AR-15. Hell, depending on which mag block the lower has, you are looking at at least a $150+ part right their, not to mention the cost of the lower, LPK, stock, mags, and then a complete upper to boot.

To get a new Rock River 9mm Carbine or to build one with a standard lower, Hahn mag block (arguably the best in the business), mags, etc., you are looking at around $1,200 or double the money of what you can get this one for.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the input.

Tally XD - I hear what you're saying and I greatly enjoy shooting long guns. I am aware of the differences between pistol and rifle ammo. This is simply a way for me to get my foot into the AR door and have some cheap fun in the process.

rob_s - Shooting it prior to purchase is not an option but the seller will stand behind the purchase. I believe it has remained unsold for the past few months because of the dozens of shiny new AR's that have been flanking it (and flying off the shelves).

ORD - Yep, that was pretty much my thinking. It also comes with 3 mags which seem to go for about $60 each as far as I can tell.

Any more thoughts?

·
Registered
359 Posts
It costs me about $850 to build a Rock River 9mm. I've built two so far.

If you can get it for $600, and it functions, it's a great deal. If you don't like it, part it out! You'll come out on top.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Definitely go for it. $600 for a complete 9mm is a good deal.

My Olympic 9mm upper has been flawless since day 1. It is a joy to shoot. I put it together as a companion for my XD-9. The indoor range I was frequenting at the time has an Oly 9mm AR in their rental fleet. The guys there spoke very highly about its reliability despite lack of regular cleaning. After shooting it a few times, I was sold. It's fun. Plus, Olympic has constructed their 9mm upper so it can be used on any mil-spec lower - no special hammer or buffer needed. I've used mine with several different lowers.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I guess as nothing more than a plinker it would be fine.

However, I would personally not own a 9mm rifle, period. I purchase rifles to have a RIFLE. 9mm is pistol ammo. Rifle ammo is powerful and extremely high velocity designed to do something totally different than pistols/pistol ammo.

I really think you would be let down if you bought one then decided you would have rather had a real rifle caliber. Still, upper assemblies can be purchased and you can change it later on if your needs and wants change.

I guess you didn't know then that a .357 being pushed out of a 16-20" barrel borders on the same ballistics as a 30/30. Hmm. Ballistic performance goes up with 9mm and 45 when pushed out of longer barrels. Is it the SAME performance that a rifle caliber is capable of? No. However, having the same ammo for your rifle and pistol is a pretty good idea (9mm) and with the price of rifle ammo costing twice as much and more than the 9mm a sound investment strategy.

·
Registered
825 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the opinions.

I'm going to go with it.

I'll update with a range report and pics after the holidays.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
My replies in red.

However, I would personally not own a 9mm rifle, period. I purchase rifles to have a RIFLE.

Different strokes for different folks. 9mm has advantages in some ways and disadvantages in others. As long as you stay within its' capabilities, you'll be fine.

Advantages:
1. bigger entry hole--about twice as big as 223 at least

2. suppresses a heckuva lot better than rifle rounds. Just try to keep a rifle round subsonic and see what happens, or use standard velocity through a suppressor and listen to what happens

3. the buttstock will help keep it more accurate at longer ranges than possible with a handgun. Extended barrel length will also usually stabilize the bullet for better performance than the same round out of a handgun

4. cost of ammo is a lot cheaper

Disadvantages:
1. You can't use it to snipe at 400 yards

2. over penetration should be a concern. Most pistol ammunition is designed to retain most of their weight and mushroom and get even bigger as they go through something. Hollowpoints expand more on this fact (no pun intended).

Rifle ammo is powerful and extremely high velocity designed to do something totally different than pistols/pistol ammo.

Exactly my point. Sometimes a high power rifle round isn't the best choice either. I guess it all depends on what you're wanting it for.

I'm not saying you're wrong for wanting a rifle caliber out of your gun, but it's not wrong to use a pistol caliber out of one either. .357 Winchester 94's make good deer guns too, and it's a pistol round.

·
Registered
2,669 Posts
Here's my AR 9mm

Remember you can change out the lower with a 223 lower and have a 9mm up. It works.... I use a Sten magz... very cheap and they are lots of them. I have the same type of set up as HiKeeba.... cann't beat it... loads of fun and I can use it as HD gun to. Wife loves shooting it. Almost no recoil.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I have one just like the set-up you are talking about (Stag lower) and it will put 30 rounds at 100 yards in the size of a fist. I don't know many that can do that with a 9mm pistol.... so yea it has its place. Even without a suppressor it is VERY quiet.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts