Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Choices and money.

Glock mags and different calibers. Different barrel lengths (pistol or carbine). Availability of all the different pistol grips (on the lower), different forends or free float tubes, sights, red dots, flash suppressors, etc.

Some bolts are designed to use a standard AR15 extractor. I like that so that's what I bought when I built mine (second one).

My first build has a red dot optic with back up iron sights and is a pistol.

My second build has a Colt style (copy) scope and is a carbine.

Both of mine use the Colt style magazines.

If you're going with the Glock mag. lowers then you can use the mags in regular Glock of the same caliber. Some advantage to that if you carry a pistol as a back up to the AR.

·
Registered
59 Posts
I've got one. I love the gun. It's a PSA upper and lower, it shoots like a dream, I put a Sig red dot on it and it does the job. Where I've been having issues is with the mags. I bought:

• Glock 33 round mags
  • PMAG 25 round mags

The PMAG's are crap, at least in my gun. They never even came close to working. The springs were so weak on the ones I bought, that I could take them out, shake them upside down, and the rounds would fall out of the magazine. I gave up on these pretty quickly.

I tried really hard to make the Glock mags work, I was ready to buy a bunch of these but I had similar problems to the PMAG, just not as much. I would get frequent jams with the Glock extended mags, and it was obvious that the springs weren't as strong on these as well. I have managed to get my hands on three Glock extended mags, and I need to take them back to the range to make sure that they're still working. If they are, then these are the three extended mags I'm going to roll with.

I've also used the standard 17 round Glock mags. These function just fine in my gun and if the three 30 round mags start acting fluky, then I'm just going to roll with the 17 rounders. They work fine and I can switch mags in a heartbeat anyway.

Air gun Machine gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel

Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Most of the 9's (any pistol caliber) are just blowback operated. Like a .22. So there's more flash/smoke at the ejection port - sometimes. Mine get really dirty around the ejection port with Winchester ammo. My fingers/hands get the powder residue all over them if I handle it near the ejection port or mag well end of the receiver.

There is one a company, or two, that are making bolts/guns that have a system that delays the bolt opening and does away with some of the blast/crud of the straight blowback guns.

You can buy a gun set up for 9MM - receivers are made for it. You can by a regular AR15 receiver set and use a mag. well insert to use the smaller pistol magazines.

At one time 9MM ammo could be had (FMJ 115 grain) for $18 for 100 rounds at Walmart. Less than $200 for a thousand rounds. Not so today.

·
Registered
890 Posts
I've got one. I love the gun. It's a PSA upper and lower, it shoots like a dream, I put a Sig red dot on it and it does the job. Where I've been having issues is with the mags. I bought:

• Glock 33 round mags
  • PMAG 25 round mags

The PMAG's are crap, at least in my gun. They never even came close to working. The springs were so weak on the ones I bought, that I could take them out, shake them upside down, and the rounds would fall out of the magazine. I gave up on these pretty quickly.

I tried really hard to make the Glock mags work, I was ready to buy a bunch of these but I had similar problems to the PMAG, just not as much. I would get frequent jams with the Glock extended mags, and it was obvious that the springs weren't as strong on these as well. I have managed to get my hands on three Glock extended mags, and I need to take them back to the range to make sure that they're still working. If they are, then these are the three extended mags I'm going to roll with.

I've also used the standard 17 round Glock mags. These function just fine in my gun and if the three 30 round mags start acting fluky, then I'm just going to roll with the 17 rounders. They work fine and I can switch mags in a heartbeat anyway.

View attachment 868876

View attachment 868877
Why not order Wolff 10% extra strong springs. Just replace the springs in all your mags with those. No more problems.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Tennessee Valley Polymer lower, 7.5" barrel, RDS and light/laser. It shares 17 or 32 round mags with a converted G22. Ambi mag catch comes with them.
The dark grey lower is an EXTREMELY tight fit with the cheap Anderson upper, but good finish. I used a "pistol grip" with a slightly different angle, and IIRC a KAK brace that adjusts.
Had a 4" barrel, didn't really like it, just nowhere to grab the gun. The 7.5" BCA barrel was about $45, and has worked just fine.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
This one has a dedicated 9MM sized (mag well) lower and a PSA upper. It had two issues. First was the upper and lower wouldn't close until I modified the steel insert at the front of the lower receiver. The bolt was contacting that steel pin. I had to "clearance" the center of the pin/insert until there was not interference with the bolt and then polish it. Feed is 100%. The second issue was the ejection of empties. The ejector was bent "wrong." The tip was too far left and not making contact with the case as the bolt extracted the empty from the chamber. Used a pair of pliers to bend (took two or three small adjustments) the tip of the ejector to the right till it would reliably contact the case and kick it out of the ejection port. After that, it has run just fine.

This is the carbine (sort of XM177 clone). It has a standard AR lower and upper with a 9MM bolt/barrel. Lower has a mag well insert to allow the use of the Colt style magazines. Bolt locks back on empty. Bought a 16" barrel, had it shortened/rethreaded and the XM177 flash suppressor pinned and welded to make it a legal 16" barrel set up. I eventually put one of those Colt style 3X carry handle scopes on it. Function with 115 grain FMJ and hollow points is 100%.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Why not order Wolff 10% extra strong springs. Just replace the springs in all your mags with those. No more problems.
I'm happy to report back that the Wolff extra strength springs worked great in the Glock mags. No malfunctions at all, in 3 mags that I switched out the old Glock spring in. Today was a lot of fun, just what I expected when I bought the AR9 in the first place.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm happy to report back that the Wolff extra strength springs worked great in the Glock mags. No malfunctions at all, in 3 mags that I switched out the old Glock spring in. Today was a lot of fun, just what I expected when I bought the AR9 in the first place.
That's great. Sometimes, with some guns and some ammo it just ends up being the thing that works. I'd expect the more you shoot it break it in it'll get smoother and you'll be able to use new mags. with the factory springs.

So far, my worst issue with old/worn springs has been a failure to lock back after the last round on a 9MM M&P. Like yours, new Wolff 10%+ springs fixed that one, too.

·
Registered
17,843 Posts
FM-9 is a pretty good one too...and uses glock mags
Or now the FX-9
Air gun Trigger Machine gun Gun barrel Gun accessory

1 - 16 of 16 Posts