Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been bitten by the AR bug. I allready have the 1911 bug so its getting pretty bad around here:). I have put together a AR in 5.56 and yes I sometimes feel the urge to stick a bunch of useless crap on it but have resisted so far. So now I feel the need for another AR and had a few questions for you AR gurus. I'm piecing together a 9mm AR and so far I have the 9mm BCG, barrel, magblocks, PSA lower, and mags. I know I still need a 9mm hammer and a heavier buffer but what other parts wont work off a .223? Boltstop? I have heard bolthways yes and no. And I'm planning on using a Fwd assist plug so thats not an issue. Thanks in advance.

Nate

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I thought you guys knew everything..Nobody has any input?

·
Registered
957 Posts
Your boltstop should work if you are using a drop in mag block. Some recommend adding a stronger hammer spring if shooting mil-surp or russian ammo. If your bolt is ramped you can get by with a standard round profile hammer.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your boltstop should work if you are using a drop in mag block. Some recommend adding a stronger hammer spring if shooting mil-surp or russian ammo. If your bolt is ramped you can get by with a standard round profile hammer.
Thanks, I've been in contact with a rep from Olympic and what you say seems to be correct. Cuda I was just bumpin' the tread but thanks for your post with nothing usefull to add.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
Not sure about the build but I just read an interesting article in "Personal and Home Defense" Magazine where they tested a .223 AR vs. a 9mm AR.

The part that interested me was how a .223 round spent 100% of it's energy within 8" on impact where as the 9mm took 15" or more meaning it was far more likely to overpenetrate a torso and then pass through a wall and into something or someone else.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not going to be a HD gun, I have the 870 for that, more of a paper puncher and a fun gun sort of thing. Now that I have the parts I can testfit and get an upper picked out.

·
Registered
5,759 Posts
9mm is great for targets and practice.

Although they're not built for precision, I often run my 9mm SMG out to a hundred yards or more.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts