Springfield XD Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

9mm ammo rant!

5K views 38 replies 20 participants last post by  mtcraigco 
#1 ·
So I went onto a local Dunhams sports store and proceeded to buy a few things , new iwb, some 7.62x54r ( gotta feed the nagant) and 2 boxes of american eagle 9mm. I get home and open the boxes to inspect them, 1 box looks fine and shiny brass no defects ect, the 2nd looks like someone bought a box then returned it with reloads some were new and shiny but others were dirty with fingerprints, all cases are stamped fc so they all match but I just cant understand the dirty fingerprinted cases.. will post pics. if these are reloads wtf is the person thinking?? someone whom wouldnt think noting of the oddities and just put em in and shooth their gun! what if there loaded hot or worse, what if someone intentionally over loaded these or used the wrong powder? the scenarios are endless. needles to say ive contacted the manager (he is a fellow gun enthusiast ) he fully understood my concern and will exchange the ammo for me , and I believe I heard him say he will inspect all the other ammo as well and expressed his concerns about it and the safety to his customers. sounds like he is a stand up guy and is willing to work with me, lots of box stores wouldnt! so I commend Dunhams sports for making things right! .. will post pics in a bit!
... side note the dirty casings also have marks in them from being fired and there are a few with fingerprints in them as well.

#2 ·

Pics of said ammo top box is the new stuff bottom is the supposedly new stuff.

#3 ·
Sounds really odd to me. All the places I have bought ammo from state...

"ALL AMMO SALES ARE FINAL"

So don't know how someone could of retured that box with reloads. :confused: Crazy hu??

#4 ·
Sounds really odd to me. All the places I have bought ammo from state...

"ALL AMMO SALES ARE FINAL"

So don't know how someone could of retured that box with reloads. :confused: Crazy hu??
Thats usually the case but hes told me that theve accepted returned ammo in the past... kinda scary!

#10 ·
Sorry, but...

So what.

I'd've just shot 'em and called it a day.
If I had wanted to shoot reloads id shoot my own and KNOW what im shooting. I bought factory new and expect factory new. I dont like putting my life or my wifes life in someone else's hands. that being said I tend to NOT shoot anyone elses reloads.

#12 ·
I have bought tons of new ammo a lot that the brass looks dirty or marked up. It's cheap ammo nothing wrong with it. It seems to happen more with 9mm and 40S&W big selling ammo you can't expect them to polish every case before it goes out.

#13 ·
And what do you do if someone did actually reload them incorrectly and your gun blows hurting you?

Its too easy to look at a case and know if its been reloaded. Extractors and ejectors leave permanent marks on cases and such.

What if you bought some factory ammo and it blewup your gun? Now what!? Better put them in the safe and just keep them unfired, yeah thats it, cannt ever be too safe now!!

#14 ·
If I had wanted to shoot reloads id shoot my own and KNOW what im shooting. I bought factory new and expect factory new. I dont like putting my life or my wifes life in someone else's hands. that being said I tend to NOT shoot anyone elses reloads.
AIRBORNE!
Yoopermike you did the right thing in my book, I NEVER
shoot anyones reloads/handloads but my own and if I noticed something weird in a box of factory ammunition it will receive my undivided attention, so a few experiences I shall relate, from IPSC competitions and from the Vietnam war of 1969
2 good friends in IPSC and handloaders, the old guy had loaded a squib(no powder) in his .45's
he went to shoot a fast stage, it popped and didn't fully cycle, he cleared the empty by hand, thinking he had a dud, the bullet was stuck in the barrel, he fired fresh round chambered and pistol went 'BOOM' and locked up halfway back, the barrel had bulged midway and froze on the bushing and was an SOB to take apart, he should have noticed it didn't feel right and stopped.
Another younger friend USMC vet had accidently loaded a double charge of 6.0 grains 231 powder, he was practicing and when he touched her off, the case exploded as slide came back and blew the magazine out of the frame and the wood grips exploded into wood shrapnel in his gun hand and he dropped the pistol to ground, had to go to ER and had nerve damage to his hand and I think to his brain.
In Vietnam our little SOG team had one of the best pointmen ever to sky up for charlie point insertions, when prepping for my first mission with these guys in the bunker, loading fresh milspec WWC 5.56mm in our car sticks, I noticed they would shake each round before inserting into 20 round mags, most of the team did this and I asked, Earl said 'you can feel the powder shake' , a fella from another unit had a bad round without powder and jam on an ambush had cost him his life, well that made sense to me and so that's how it went, first two mags taped up on car-stick all tracers and checked, all other mags too loaded to 19 only and first round tracer then 15 fmj's and last 3 tracers, now when down by the river for premission weapons test and mad minute blasting and practice we just blasted away, but for combat missions we always used checked ammo, at least we knew it had freaking powder in the case, in all the times we did this we never ran across another powderless round, but we continued to hear of bummer ammo in country,
I still do this, but not with my 5.56 reloads, I KNOW they will work, I have NEVER had a problem with my handloads and have loaded hundreds of thousands of all calibers, just use quality components and like carpentry "measure twice-cut once"
I prefer my handloaded match grade ammunition to all others, but I still buy mil-surp and premium factory and damn sure check it!
You were right to be suspicious, :cool:

Attachments

#15 ·
Its too easy to look at a case and know if its been reloaded. Extractors and ejectors leave permanent marks on cases and such.

What if you bought some factory ammo and it blewup your gun? Now what!? Better put them in the safe and just keep them unfired, yeah thats it, cannt ever be too safe now!!
Exactly. Since when did tarnished factory ammo suddenly = reloads?

Study one of your fired cases and you should be able to tell real quick if they are reloads or not. If factory ammo (usually the cheapest stuff) is tarnished, dirty, or fingerprinted then the manufacturer didn't do a final tumble for fluff and buff. They skip this step to save time/money. It makes no difference in performance.

#16 ·
Exactly. Since when did tarnished factory ammo suddenly = reloads?

Study one of your fired cases and you should be able to tell real quick if they are reloads or not. If factory ammo (usually the cheapest stuff) is tarnished, dirty, or fingerprinted then the manufacturer didn't do a final tumble for fluff and buff. They skip this step to save time/money. It makes no difference in performance.
when I can see small case bulge and die marks on the case, I might be over paranoid about it but, to each his own! Ive bought thousands of rounds of this brand ammo and have never came across a batch that looked like this!

#17 ·
It's the extractor marks on the case rim that will be the telltale signs. Seating bulges and machine marks are normal.

Anyways, Ive seen this too recently - with Winchester (WWB) 100rd value packs at WM. Ive got some older boxes stashed and all the rounds are pristine. Picked up 3 boxes last week and the rounds were filthy and tarnished. My fingers were black just from loading them into mags. All shot fine. It is disappointing to see the difference though.

#19 ·
Yeah Walmart and other stores will not take any ammo back once it's been paid for, at least here in Florida. I have noticed the quality of the federal 100round 9mm has been very low. I had so many issues with it on my sig sp2022 and xdm, I went through 4 boxes almost every other shot was a stovepipe. Wwb 100 round boxes had no issues at all, last boxes though stained my hands orange?!?

#20 ·
I have never seen ammo returned, I have reloaded for several years but when I go in to paw the new pistols and rifles I see signs all the time that state "All Ammo Sales are Final"

#21 ·
Sorry, but...

So what.

I'd've just shot 'em and called it a day.
Until that one double loaded round someone snuck in there decided to make your pistol go kaboom in your hand.

Self loading your OWN ammo is ok...getting factory ammo that has been tampered with is a BIG no no!

The risk is yours to take...but I wouldn't

Better safe than sorry...if they guy will exchange them and then return them to the manufacturer where the manufacturer will dispose of them (or unload them to see if they were tampered with) Either way...you avoided a situation you don't ever want to be in

#22 ·
Until that one double loaded round someone snuck in there decided to make your pistol go kaboom in your hand.

Self loading your OWN ammo is ok...getting factory ammo that has been tampered with is a BIG no no!

Better safe than sorry...if they guy will exchange them and then return them to the manufacturer where the manufacturer will dispose of them (or unload them to see if they were tampered with) Either way...you avoided a situation you don't ever want to be in
Like I said earlier, its too easy to recognize a reloaded round. Firing leaves permanent marks. A slightly darker case does not mean its been reloaded. Who says when he returns the ammo he himself didnt tamper with it? Would you trust a returned box of ammo?

I am shocked people get in a tiff when ammo isnt jewelry shiny and it leaves your fingers a little dirty. wah. I learned when I was 5 ammo made your fingers dirty. I guess thats why the box says wash your hands after handleing. Some people probably cannt figure it out themself and need special treatment, gotta read the box first though I guess....

I bet the next post will be on how dirty ammo wears his pitol out faster than it should....

#23 ·
Like I said earlier, its too easy to recognize a reloaded round. Firing leaves permanent marks. A slightly darker case does not mean its been reloaded. Who says when he returns the ammo he himself didnt tamper with it? Would you trust a returned box of ammo?

I am shocked people get in a tiff when ammo isnt jewelry shiny and it leaves your fingers a little dirty. wah. I learned when I was 5 ammo made your fingers dirty. I guess thats why the box says wash your hands after handleing. Some people probably cannt figure it out themself and need special treatment, gotta read the box first though I guess....

I bet the next post will be on how dirty ammo wears his pitol out faster than it should....
Firing does not ALWAYS leave marks on the case and unless you are psychic you CAN somehow see the box of ammo im questioning? You YOURSELF can inspect each and every case as I have? I dont think so! 2nd The manager already said to bring them back and he will make it right. more than likely the ammo will be destroyed. the story was more about a stores customer service and going above and beyond their policies and 3rd Wow handling ammo at 5 years old? Either you are a master and we should bow down to your " shooting experience" or your father was an idiot for letting a 5 year old play with live ammo! As said before .. Id rather be safe than sorry ESPECIALLY since I bought the ammo for my wife to shoot in her gun.. Its one thing for me to judge ammo im shooting, but not if someone else is!

#24 ·

Prove they were reloads.

Sorry, I've gotten sealed bulk pack boxes of ammo that was slightly tarnished...never an issue.

#25 ·
Prove they were reloads.

Sorry, I've gotten sealed bulk pack boxes of ammo that was slightly tarnished...never an issue.
I've gotten tarnished brass before too, thats not the issue. Regardless the ammo is going back and being exchanged!

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.