Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've always shot .45 ACP. About to get my first 9mm. What is the prefered bullet weight, pros vs. cons 115gr, 147gr. This would be for IDPA, practice, high volume shooting.

Which is the prefered load for carry? Which load do you find most accurate? This will be a new XDm.

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
Hi Buzzsaw, are you getting a little tired of paying $30 for a box of 100 WWBs? My daughter has an XD-45, which she got after she got a 9mm Glock 26 - loves the power, hates the cost of ammo. I have both the XDM 9mm and 40 S&W, and when I go target shooting, I use exclusively WWB from Wal-Mart. A box of 100 9mm goes for $19.97. This is a 115 grain bullet, brass with copper nose, and it works like a charm. Recently Dick's Sporting Goods had an ammo special on Remington UMC, also brass with copper nose and 115 grains, and if you bought a case of 10 boxes, you paid $7.98 for a box of 50 -- this is the absolute best price I've seen anywhere. If you have a Dick's Sporting Goods nearby, be sure and check their weekend ads -- they will write rain checks if they run out, which they frequently do. Also, here's a great website:

gun-deals.com - Unbiased Gun Deals

They check the cost and location of ammo all over the country, and it is very much up-to-date. Last but not least, for personal protection, the Federal Hydra-Shok is what many folks on the forum use, including me. It has 147 grains, is a hollow-point, and goes for around $23.00 for a box of 20. Very expensive, but this website lists a place that sells a box of 250 for $122. I have this ammo, but thank God, I've never had to use this. You might post a question to see what the LEO's on the forum think about this load. Good luck, and congrats on getting an XDm!!:)

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I'm not a seasoned shooter, but after much research it's all about your preference. If you want a slower velocity go with the higher gr count. If you want the high velocity low ft lbs go with the 115.

For target, I go with the 115 or 124. For self defense, a 124 +P is a good compromise.

I've shot Winchester White Box 115 and Blazer Brass 115 for target. Given the choice, the Blazer is a cleaner shooting ammo.

Right now my choice for personal defense is Speer Gold Dot 124 +P. It is very accurate.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I really like the 124gr bullet as opposed to the 115gr. After shooting 115 for a while I find the 124s to be a more accurate bullet because of the slight addition to weight. At least in my gun, and everyone is different, my accuracy is much improved with the 124. Right now I am shooting 124 Rainier Flat points, they seem to be very accurate compared to 115gr WWB or Blazer Brass.

·
Registered
708 Posts
For Target: Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart. 115 grain. Made by Federal for $8.97 per 50 rnd. box. Very Clean & reliable.
Carry: Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Speer LE Gold Dot 124gr. HP Ammo [53618] - $24.95
This is Law Enforcment Grade Ammo. 50 rounds for less than most places sell 20 for. Ammunitiontogo.com has been very reliable and the shipping isn't bad if you buy a few boxes. I personally get a Friend or 2 and split the order and the shipping fees are divided between us. It's very reasonable!

·
Registered
151 Posts
For Target: Blazer Brass from Wal-Mart. 115 grain. Made by Federal for $8.97 per 50 rnd. box. Very Clean & reliable.
Carry: Ammunition To Go : 50rds - 9mm Speer LE Gold Dot 124gr. HP Ammo [53618] - $24.95
This is Law Enforcment Grade Ammo. 50 rounds for less than most places sell 20 for. Ammunitiontogo.com has been very reliable and the shipping isn't bad if you buy a few boxes. I personally get a Friend or 2 and split the order and the shipping fees are divided between us. It's very reasonable!

Email this person for a even better price on this ammo [email protected]

I bought 250 rds from this person and the shipped price was about $19.00 per 50rds.

·
Registered
708 Posts
That's why this Forum exists. Everyone helps everyone. One Big Happy Family! If you doubt it's "Family" here, visit the Political View Forum. :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
ok my .02
this is what i use personally
115 FMJ for practice (blaze ammo) 8.95 for a box of 50
124 for carrying (Winchester ranger hollow points )29.99 for a box of 50
147 for home defense (Winchester ranger sxt hollow points)29.99 for a box of 50

·
Registered
87 Posts
For target, I go with the 115 or 124. For self defense, a 124 +P is a good compromise.

I've shot Winchester White Box 115 and Blazer Brass 115 for target. Given the choice, the Blazer is a cleaner shooting ammo.

Right now my choice for personal defense is Speer Gold Dot 124 +P. It is very accurate.
+1; its like you are in my head

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
I read (can't remember where), that the XDm showed a bit of an affinity for a certain brand of ammo (can't remember which one). It performed superbly with all +p ammo from the major manufacturers, but the data they provided showed a slight affinity for one type.

Again, I don't remember which one, but I remember thinking... "boy, they're really going after the LEO market there."

1 - 13 of 13 Posts