Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Don't ever get smug and think your 9mm/40cal/45cal is the best semi auto pistol around for protection. Was at the 50ft indoors range near my house today. The guy to my left is shooting what sounded like a 9mm of or so. (Not as loud as my XD45c.) All of a sudden there is a loud BOOM from his stall. Several of us must have thought the same thing, something went wrong with his pistol as we backed out of our stalls to see what happened.

He had switched to semi auto pistol that shoots a 30cal Carbine, as in US M1 Carbine, round. A little big for a conceal carry but who cares it would scare the hell out of me to see anyone carrying one in the open. :shock::eek:

Anyone have any idea what pistol it is?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I have a story for you. I was at the range one day. I had a guy to the right of me shooting. Guns being fired do not make me flench. What he was shooting did. I was thnking what the hell is he shooting. When he was done firing I asked him. It's a CZ, but do not remember the model. It's a .30 cal. 7.62x25. It sounded like a damn cannon going off.

·
Premium Member
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
I have a story for you. I was at the range one day. I had a guy to the right of me shooting. Guns being fired do not make me flench. What he was shooting did. I was thnking what the hell is he shooting. When he was done firing I asked him. It's a CZ, but do not remember the model. It's a .30 cal. 7.62x25. It sounded like a damn cannon going off.
CZ52..the Czech-o-matic...
Theres also the TT-33

·
Registered
1,581 Posts
I was at an indoor range one weekend and the guy in the next lane was practicing with a S&W 500 magnum. First time he lit one off I nearly jumped out of my skin and continued to have a flinch issue with every shot he took. Fortunately after about 10 rounds he must have had enough because he switched to a 45 auto which was a lot more tolerable.

I also have a vague memory of Thompson Center once offering the TC Contender chambered for the Winchester 300 magnum. Why anyone would ever want to shoot a rifle caliber that powerful in a handgun I don't understand. Guess it proves that there really are some true gun nuts out there because I think you'd have to be nuts to try it.

·
Premium Member
7,466 Posts
Don't ever get smug and think your 9mm/40cal/45cal is the best semi auto pistol around for protection. Was at the 50ft indoors range near my house today. The guy to my left is shooting what sounded like a 9mm of or so. (Not as loud as my XD45c.) All of a sudden there is a loud BOOM from his stall. Several of us must have thought the same thing, something went wrong with his pistol as we backed out of our stalls to see what happened.

He had switched to semi auto pistol that shoots a 30cal Carbine, as in US M1 Carbine, round. A little big for a conceal carry but who cares it would scare the hell out of me to see anyone carrying one in the open. :shock::eek:

Anyone have any idea what pistol it is?
Yep. It had to be the AMT. I shot one years ago and have looked around for one I can get a deal on. Not reliable but they go BOOM! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I was at an indoor range one weekend and the guy in the next lane was practicing with a S&W 500 magnum. First time he lit one off I nearly jumped out of my skin and continued to have a flinch issue with every shot he took. Fortunately after about 10 rounds he must have had enough because he switched to a 45 auto which was a lot more tolerable.

I also have a vague memory of Thompson Center once offering the TC Contender chambered for the Winchester 300 magnum. Why anyone would ever want to shoot a rifle caliber that powerful in a handgun I don't understand. Guess it proves that there really are some true gun nuts out there because I think you'd have to be nuts to try it.
+1

I think the idea of shooting a .308 in a TC contender would be bad, I couldn't imagine any sort of rifle magnum! To each his own I guess.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts

All bow down to the epitome of a hand cannon.

Obrez pistol. Hacked down Mosin Nagant. Anyone that has fired x54R out of a M44 or M38 knows how much of a shove it makes. Just imagine it in pistol form.

This is a badly rusted example but there are nicer ones floating around out there that are actually safe to fire. If your wrist can stand it.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Patriot and Scooter,

A guy next to me at the range was shooting 3 different BFR's. S&W .500, I think it's a .450 Cassull, and one other one. Each one made me flinch. I as well do not flinch. So it was strange and annoying. Then while talking to somebody later they told me why I was flinching uncontrolably. The shockwave from the guns affects your sinuses. I would compare the feeling to somebody throwing a basketball at my face. Makes sense.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yeah all of the common pistol calibers are relatively weak. I always like to closeout my range sessions after popping off 200 rounds or so of 45 ACP with a few boxes of slugs from my shotgun to remind myself of what a gun with some power feels like, and why I should always try to go for the shotgun if I can in an HD scenario.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
I have always viewed the 25mm length cartridges to be the ideal. Well ideal pistol, ideal assault rifle is 7.92X33 Kurtz, still kinda wish they had produced the FAL in it, or I could afford an StG44.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
Patriot and Scooter,

A guy next to me at the range was shooting 3 different BFR's. S&W .500, I think it's a .450 Cassull, and one other one. Each one made me flinch. I as well do not flinch. So it was strange and annoying. Then while talking to somebody later they told me why I was flinching uncontrolably. The shockwave from the guns affects your sinuses. I would compare the feeling to somebody throwing a basketball at my face. Makes sense.
Show me a guy with more than one revolver in a "big game hunting caliber", and I'll show you a guy who's making up for having a "small caliber" on another one of his guns. :rolleyes:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts