Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what you would choose, and your reasoning why.

Consider usage as 80% plinking/casual target shooting, 20% personal defense.
It won't be a CCW pistol, but more of a night-stand/backpacking/back-country fishing sidearm.

The pistol in question has the same overall dimensions, the same 3.25" barrel, and similar weight.

At the moment I'm leaning towards the .45acp.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
If your primary purpose is plinking I'd lean towards the less expensive calibers (9mm). I bought my XD9 for identical purposes, and if you're not concerned with CCW go 4" service model or 5" tactical for accuracy.

I have put around 1500 rounds through it flawlessly. I have enjoyed it so much, that I recently purchased the XD45 in 4". To my surprise, it's almost the exact same size! I love XDs. Maybe one of these days I'll get a subcompact.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I agree w/ TGD on the size of the pistol. For a range gun/house gun, a shorter bbl offers you nothing but add'l. recoil & muzzle blast. Caliber, for me, cost is the last issue. What is your skill level? A 45acp or 40 will require more range time to be proficient than a 9mm. It's one reason the 9mm is so popular. The learning curve is much shallower if there is less recoil & blast.
For a new or novice shooter, I recommend a 4" bbl. med. frame 357mag. Learn w/ 38sp & then load 38sp+p or 357mags as your skill level increases. For a person w/ some handgun experience, I would recommend a 9mm for the reasons already stated. If you have add'l. handgun experience, then no reason to not move upto a 40 or 45acp. Which pistol is more important than which caliber in the long run.

·
Premium Member
746 Posts
I own a 9mm in 4" and 5" models. The 5" has Trijicon night sights, match grade barrel, competition trigger and heavy guide rod. It is my "ego gun" and my "night stand" security. Every time that I wake up at night, those three little bead glowing gives me a real sense of security. I smile and go back to sleep.
The 4" service model has the PRP trigger but otherwise is a standard XD. It is my CCW tool.
I have shot the compact in the .40 caliber and I wouldn't want that as an everyday "plinker". I have a friend that has a .45 compact and swears by it.
Many of the XD.45 SC owners on this and other boards are claiming better accuracies than three inch diameter at 25 yards.
I reload for all of my guns so ammo is not a great concern to me, but you might take a look at shooting costs. In most cases you're going to find that the 9mm is, by far, the cheapest to shoot on a regular bases. Whether you are using the gun for "home defense" or "concealed carry", you need to seek out training and plan to practice.
Good luck and good shooting,
EW

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've been through a LE academy, and passed dozens of quals for several agencies. I've also been through a CCW course. I'm a proficient shot (though I can always still improve!).

Cost is a non-issue, as I am a reloader.

Keep 'em coming!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I've been through a LE academy, and passed dozens of quals for several agencies. I've also been through a CCW course. I'm a proficient shot (though I can always still improve!).

Cost is a non-issue, as I am a reloader.

Keep 'em coming!
Then oyu can probably handle the recoil/snap of a larger caliber. Me, I prefer a 40 or 45 in a full size gun. In a short bbl., there is probably a good argument for a 9mm to control recoil for faster follow up shots. If it's a range.house gun, strongly consider a 4"-5" model in what ever caliber you get. You'll shoot it better & get a small balistic advantage as well.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts