Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother was talking about getting a 1911 in 9mm (cheap ammo and easy to find) when he gets back in the states.

I know a few companies (RIA & ParaUSA) make 1911s in 9mm, but does anyone know which others have either Government or Commander size 1911s in 9mm?

What are his options?

·
Premium Member
24,847 Posts
My brother was talking about getting a 1911 in 9mm (cheap ammo and easy to find) when he gets back in the states.

I know a few companies (RIA & Para Ordnance) make 1911s in 9mm, but does anyone know which others have either Government or Commander size 1911s in 9mm?

What are his options?
Kimber also makes a 1911. (and if he buys one, I have a 9mm magazine I'll give him since it doesn't work well in my Colt MK IV Series 80 in 9mm!)

I know a lot of folks here on the board have RIA 1911's in 45 acp and love them, so no reason to expect that their 9mm offerings are any less of a gun.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Kimber also makes a 1911. (and if he buys one, I have a 9mm magazine I'll give him since it doesn't work well in my Colt MK IV Series 80 in 9mm!)

I know a lot of folks here on the board have RIA 1911's in 45 acp and love them, so no reason to expect that their 9mm offerings are any less of a gun.
Yeah come to think of it he actually mentioned Kimber when i talked to him.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Springfield, Colt, and STI.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
To everyone that wants a 9mm 1911, I always suggest a Hi-Power instead.

First, its very 1911-ish. Moreso than any other hi-cap 9mm. Second, it was designed as a 9mm and has less troubles.

The 9mm 1911s are getting better than they used to be about reliability, but I still think that you are inviting trouble when you stray too far from Brownings original design.

So...why not a Hi-Power?

- brickboy240

·
Registered
465 Posts
To not answer your question...

Browning Hi Power or a CZ75 single action will do everthing a 1911 will do. The CZ is a 16 or 19 shooter. Reliable, accurate and every bit the design that a 1911 is. Big difference. They are about 500 bucks.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
A big +1 on the Hi Power! A 9mm 1911 is pure blasphemy anyway. You don't want to incur the wrath of the gun gods or their prophet, John Moses Browning.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts

First, its very 1911-ish. Moreso than any other hi-cap 9mm. Second, it was designed as a 9mm and has less troubles.

The 9mm 1911s are getting better than they used to be about reliability, but I still think that you are inviting trouble when you stray too far from Brownings original design.

So...why not a Hi-Power?

- brickboy240

+1 gospel truth in this post:)

cheers

not to mention if you do some shopping you can find a hi-power for a bit cheaper than a 9mm 1911.

cheers

·
Premium Member
5,314 Posts

So...why not a Hi-Power?

- brickboy240
I respectfully disagree. I have owned 3 different Highpowers and they are good guns but. There is always a but. The triggers suck. Even with a trigger job the reset is very long and its a pivoting trigger. I much prefer my STI Trojan in 9mm to my former Highpower's. The Highpower is a good gun if you can learn to like its trigger. I never could.
Pat

·
Registered
157 Posts
I respectfully disagree. I have owned 3 different Highpowers and they are good guns but. There is always a but. The triggers suck. Even with a trigger job the reset is very long and its a pivoting trigger. I much prefer my STI Trojan in 9mm to my former Highpower's. The Highpower is a good gun if you can learn to like its trigger. I never could.
Pat
Agree, agree. Hi-powers cannot be made to have a decent trigger reset. That is why God allowed the invention of the CZ 75 single-action.

·
Premium Member
28,481 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

So...why not a Hi-Power?

- brickboy240

To not answer your question...

Browning Hi Power or a CZ75 single action will do everthing a 1911 will do. The CZ is a 16 or 19 shooter. Reliable, accurate and every bit the design that a 1911 is. Big difference. They are about 500 bucks.
Thanks Brickboy and GlockConvert, I'll suggest it to my brother.

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
1911 - HiPower, just dont screw up and buy a Hi Point! OK.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts