Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New 911 owner, have XDm and XDs. The instructions to remove the slide say to align the disassembly notch with the slide stop tab and then remove the slide stop. I find this a bit difficult and have to use a thin blade screw driver under the slide stop to remove it. After cleaning, lube and reassembly, sometimes the recoil spring guide extends as I am trying to close the slide (after slightly depressing the ejector). I then remove the recoil spring and guide and "fiddle" with it and try again. Eventually it assembles properly but I really don't know how I am correcting the assembly.

Is there a better way to remove the slide stop tab? Is there a better way to align the barrel and recoil spring/recoil spring guide? I notice the guide has a curve on one side and, based on the exploded view in the manual, I orient the curve towards the barrel.

Any comments and ideas on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John

·
Registered
72 Posts
First off when you disassemble: Push the slide stop pin from the opposite side of the gun first this will allow you to get a handle on it to pull it out.
When you reassemble: Make sure to have the barrel inserted too where it is locked in, then put the spring over the guide rod and insert. Make sure the half moon shape is toward the barrel resting on the barrel and barrel link. The barrel link on this firearm is solidly attached to or part of the barrel (it is the little slot that is at the bottom of the barrel). Slide on the barrel and slide to the frame pushing down on the ejector as you slide back. Then as you get the slide past the ejector look for that slot in the barrel or barrel link and insert the slide stop pin into this slot, rotate the slide stop once you have aligned the little slide stop window and click or push it in. Make sure your ammunition is in another room and function test the weapon.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks a lot, Paul! It worked perfectly. That paragraph you wrote should be included verbatim in the 911 Manual.

·
Registered
3 Posts
The ejector on my 911 has been pushed down to far. Can anyone share with me how to fix the issue. Apparently I pushed it down to far when I was trying to reassemble. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
94 Posts
The ejector on my 911 has been pushed down to far. Can anyone share with me how to fix the issue. Apparently I pushed it down to far when I was trying to reassemble. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.
This a real problem with this little gun. There are is at least 1 thread talking about this issue. If you push the extractor down (Into the magwell), I know of no way to get it backup. I called Springfield about this in Sept last year (When it happened to me), they said I needed to send the weapon back to them. My question was really ? They were really serious about having to keep the warranty and send it back. I did send it back and it came back just fine. SInce then I've disassembled it a couple of times to clean it. But I have been very cautious about re-assembly and making sure that the damn extractor doesn't get pushed down to far. This is not good.

I personally think this issue is a bad design for this gun. A user should be able to release that item with a specified procedure and continue. I'm not a gunsmith, only a lowly software engineer, but this is a bad design if a end-user can't release that extractor.

Also I have not tried that procedure in the colt video, but maybe that's how you would fix this issue. I just have to decide if it doesn't, whether I want to send it back again. Maybe somebody will do it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have always been careful when reassembling this gun to avoid this issue, but it finally caught up with me. Not only did I have the issue with the ejector, the slide would not close completely when I tried to reassemble it. I enjoy shooting the gun, I just wish it were as easy to reassemble as my other Springfields. Thank you for responding to my post.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Did you watch the video and try that procedure on your 911 ?

Inquiring minds want to know. Sure would be better than having to return it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
First off when you disassemble: Push the slide stop pin from the opposite side of the gun first this will allow you to get a handle on it to pull it out.
When you reassemble: Make sure to have the barrel inserted too where it is locked in, then put the spring over the guide rod and insert. Make sure the half moon shape is toward the barrel resting on the barrel and barrel link. The barrel link on this firearm is solidly attached to or part of the barrel (it is the little slot that is at the bottom of the barrel). Slide on the barrel and slide to the frame pushing down on the ejector as you slide back. Then as you get the slide past the ejector look for that slot in the barrel or barrel link and insert the slide stop pin into this slot, rotate the slide stop once you have aligned the little slide stop window and click or push it in. Make sure your ammunition is in another room and function test the weapon.
Great tutorial on this issue, thanks!

·
Registered
6 Posts
The key is to only push the extractor down enough to clear the slide. I usually push back on the slide until it touches the extractor then push the extractor only enough to let the slide go back. It even rubs a little. There are videos on YT for the p238 on how to put the extractor back together. I was able to do it following a p238 vid a guy posted. Just search p238 extractor. It was a bit of a pain but I got it done.

·
Registered
4 Posts
New 911 owner, have XDm and XDs. The instructions to remove the slide say to align the disassembly notch with the slide stop tab and then remove the slide stop. I find this a bit difficult and have to use a thin blade screw driver under the slide stop to remove it. After cleaning, lube and reassembly, sometimes the recoil spring guide extends as I am trying to close the slide (after slightly depressing the ejector). I then remove the recoil spring and guide and "fiddle" with it and try again. Eventually it assembles properly but I really don't know how I am correcting the assembly.

Is there a better way to remove the slide stop tab? Is there a better way to align the barrel and recoil spring/recoil spring guide? I notice the guide has a curve on one side and, based on the exploded view in the manual, I orient the curve towards the barrel.

Any comments and ideas on the above would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

John
I am having exactly the same issue. I reassemble properly, including depressing the ejector, and then the lock pin slips in just right. BUT - when I rack the slide after that, the shaft sticks out, and my lock pin is completely impossible to remove. Same thing happened when I cleaned it the day I bought it. I went back to Cabela's and it took 3 guys 20 minutes to pry out the lock pin. I decided this time I'd send it back to Springfield. I just got their shipping label, so I'll let you know what happens in a few weeks. Very frustrating, especially since this 911 is the most fun shooting I've ever done.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I am having exactly the same issue. I reassemble properly, including depressing the ejector, and then the lock pin slips in just right. BUT - when I rack the slide after that, the shaft sticks out, and my lock pin is completely impossible to remove. Same thing happened when I cleaned it the day I bought it. I went back to Cabela's and it took 3 guys 20 minutes to pry out the lock pin. I decided this time I'd send it back to Springfield. I just got their shipping label, so I'll let you know what happens in a few weeks. Very frustrating, especially since this 911 is the most fun shooting I've ever done.
Sounds like you missed the link slot in the barrel and the guide rod is now putting all of its weight on the slide lock lever. I don't know how you've accomplished this, but I am impressed.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Sounds like you missed the link slot in the barrel and the guide rod is now putting all of its weight on the slide lock lever. I don't know how you've accomplished this, but I am impressed.
Its actually quite easy to do, because I have done it ! It was one of those WTF things ???? The problem if I remember, is that when re-assembling, Don't line up the slide notch, look for the barrel link slot and then insert the lock lever..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Its actually quite easy to do, because I have done it ! It was one of those WTF things ???? The problem if I remember, is that when re-assembling, Don't line up the slide notch, look for the barrel link slot and then insert the lock lever..
Thank you. This answer sounds like what I'm looking for. Now all I have to do is get the lock pin out; it's in so tight it feels welded.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'm glad you're so impressed. Sarcasm really doesn't help.
No sarcasm at all. I'm being serious. I've disassembled and assembled this gun more times than I can recollect, and I didn't even know this was possible. Any time I've seen someone struggling with this at work, the barrel usually only comes far enough back to obscure the slide lock pin hole and they can't get the pin in... but to pull it far enough back to completely pass the pin hole... I didn't think there was even enough room inside the gun to do that. I'm genuinely impressed you got far enough to seize up the gun so hard it couldn't disassemble. That's all. I guess that's one more thing I should tell customers when they buy this gun.

·
Registered
59 Posts
No sarcasm at all. I'm being serious. I've disassembled and assembled this gun more times than I can recollect, and I didn't even know this was possible. Any time I've seen someone struggling with this at work, the barrel usually only comes far enough back to obscure the slide lock pin hole and they can't get the pin in... but to pull it far enough back to completely pass the pin hole... I didn't think there was even enough room inside the gun to do that. I'm genuinely impressed you got far enough to seize up the gun so hard it couldn't disassemble. That's all. I guess that's one more thing I should tell customers when they buy this gun.
Missing the hole in the barrel lug can be done, and it usually happens to new owners. The same thing can be done by missing the hole in th link on a 1911, with similar results.

The slide stop can be removed on both without having to return the pistol to the manufacturer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts