Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First, what basically does a trigger job consist of, just polishing parts? This is using no aftermarket parts. Will it make a lot of differnce or should I just buy some aftermarket parts?

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
wow. use the search...

polishing makes things smoother...trigger jobs change internals. for xd's anyway...

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
Find the gigantic thread on the Powder River safety lever kit, it's probably the most economical, home done trigger upgrade around. And it's great.

·
Registered
182 Posts
First, what basically does a trigger job consist of, just polishing parts? This is using no aftermarket parts. Will it make a lot of differnce or should I just buy some aftermarket parts?
A majority of people complain that the stock XD trigger is "mushy." A trigger job will reduce things like the reset (the distance the trigger has to move forward so another round can be fired) and over-travel (Stops the trigger from moving rearward after the sear is released), and give you a "crisper" pull. You can find a lot of the parts and even kits from the board sponsors http://www.springerprecision.com/art/workorder.pdf and even send it in to some or ever Springfield Armory themselves Springfield Armory (Click on the custom worksheet).

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I recommend Powder River Precision. It's a night and day difference between stock. I wouldn't not shoot with it.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I would also add that if you are not familiar with how your gun works you should have a gunsmith install the parts.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
It's super easy to install a trigger kit, don't scare the guy. After all, you have to start some-where. There are so many tutorials online to make it easy. My XD9 was my first gun that I had installed something like that and it was easy as pie with following the tutorials.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
It's super easy to install a trigger kit, don't scare the guy. After all, you have to start some-where. There are so many tutorials online to make it easy. My XD9 was my first gun that I had installed something like that and it was easy as pie with following the tutorials.
+1

I did mine this summer after having bought my XD9 in early May. Lots of help here, great stickies with instructions, and if you're just careful and do function checks along the way (do the safeties still work? ) it's not that difficult.

I equated it with the ability to change one's oil. If you have the ability to do that, you probably have the ability to do a PRP trigger job.

As a place to start, here are my own experiences:

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/general-hs2k-sa-xd-talk/78408-first-complete-nearly-disassembly-observations-newbie.html

·
Registered
609 Posts
Polishing parts will smooth the trigger, and will improve it because less force is needed to overcome the friction. But you still deal with the long take-up (the amount of travel before the trigger actually starts to release the striker), and the long reset (after pulling the trigger all the way back, the amount you have to let it go forward until it is ready to release the striker again).

XD factory triggers have a relatively long take up (similar to the Glock's), but also a long reset (much longer than a Glock). If you are a competition shooter or just like a crisp trigger, these aspects of the factory XD are undesireable.

After-market trigger jobs usually involve both polishing and the replacement of parts like the trigger bar and sear. Gunsmiths like Canyon Creek, Springer Precision or Bob's Custom shop can take the XD trigger down to nearly a 2# pull weight with minute take-up and reset.

After-market drop in kits like those from Springer Precision, Bob's Custom Shop, or Powder River can provide about 75-80% of the performance of a gunsmithed trigger. If you just purchased the competition/improved sear/spring kit, it lightens the trigger pull about 40% and reduces some of the take-up. Doesn't do much to reduce reset. If you also purchase the trigger bar, it will reduce both the take-up and reset.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
Welcome to the forum Kev.

A huge +1 on the Powder River method.
The saftey lever and overtravel stop.
I had a PW lever with a drilled and tap trigger bar on my XD45 compact.
That was before the creation of the overtravel stop, so drilling and tapping isn't required anymore.

Powder River Precision

Powder River Precision

It isn't hard at all to install.
Daniel at Powder River is a joy to work with and will talk you thru the process on the phone if needed.

Use this link, click on frame disassembly, to help you understand how to disassemble the pistol.
Springfield Armory XD and HS2000.com

Here is a step by step PR installation thread.
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/latest-hs2000-sa-xd-faq-stickies/72879-how-install-powder-river-precision-safety-lever-overtravel-stop.html

The PR lever will take all the slack and sponginess out of the trigger pull.
But it will leave the current trigger pull weight the same.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
So, will using a Powder River safety and overtravel stop in your SD/HD pistol cause you any kind of legal trouble, should it come to that?

·
Registered
609 Posts
So, will using a Powder River safety and overtravel stop in your SD/HD pistol cause you any kind of legal trouble, should it come to that?
That, my friend, is a long discussion. Many people will say no, but others, including law enforcement officer and professional expertise witness Massad Ayoob says "possibly" (especially when the dirtbag's family sues you in civil court for the loss of their beloved, wonderful, "he would never hurt anybody" relative).

From a practical consideration, do you have the trigger finger discipline to stay away from your gun's "hair trigger" when scared/nervous in your pitch-black house at 2:30 in the morning?

Others say it isn't an issue. I won't have a gun for self-defense that has less than a 5lb. trigger, but that's a personal choice.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
That, my friend, is a long discussion. Many people will say no, but others, including law enforcement officer and professional expertise witness Massad Ayoob says "possibly" (especially when the dirtbag's family sues you in civil court for the loss of their beloved, wonderful, "he would never hurt anybody" relative).
Well, last year in September, the Texas legislature gave us gunnies a few nice laws. Castle law, vehicle carry (no wiggling from the ass't DA's around the state), AND they passed a law that says that you can't be prosecuted in a civil court for a 'good shoot'.
From a practical consideration, do you have the trigger finger discipline to stay away from your gun's "hair trigger" when scared/nervous in your pitch-black house at 2:30 in the morning?
. . that's not a problem.

·
Registered
609 Posts
. . that's not a problem.
It's a major concern for me. With three kids in the house, it's my nightmare to check out a strange sound in the middle of the night, and then have one of my kids startle me into jerking off a round. I shoot thousands of rounds a year in competition, and have never had an accidental discharge, but I don't think its worth the risk since I can put someone down as easily with a 5lb. trigger as I can with one that is 2lbs.

But I also have the luxury of having a couple of "competition" XDs and one that is pretty much just for home defense.

Well, last year in September, the Texas legislature gave us gunnies a few nice laws. Castle law, vehicle carry (no wiggling from the ass't DA's around the state), AND they passed a law that says that you can't be prosecuted in a civil court for a 'good shoot'.
I hope they were crystal clear on what the definition of a "good shoot" is. Lawyers are not my favorite life-form, mostly because they specialize in game-playing instead of justice.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts