Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for a plinker. And I think I'd rather go with a revolver over a semi auto. Is Taurus as good as any? Other recommendation?

·
Registered
5,886 Posts
not quite the 9 round you asked for, but an old 8 round Iver Johnson can be picked up for 100 to 200 depending on condition, more if pristine with owl grips and in original box.

not great but not bad, bit of a hassle to load/unload
would not recommend it for teaching new shooters because no transfer bar/block, so careful when hammer on live chamber

I had shot mine quite a bit but it has become a bottom of safe queen since got my 22/45 and then my Blackhawk. The 22 Iver does not compete with 22/45 for plinking, and does not compete with Blackhawk for cowboy style.

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Find you a old High Standard Double-Nine 2 to 300 and worth every penny.

·
Registered
786 Posts
old early 50s K22 only 6 rounds but will hit anything in front of the sight have a matching K38 also don't seen to get much shooting anymore

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I've known four people with Taurus .22 revolvers and every one of them complained of misfires, glitchy or locked up double action pulls, etc. If you want a nice 9-shot .22 DA, find an H&R Sportsman. If you just want a plinker, any of the old H&R, NEF, Hi-Standards, etc. will do just fine. I've got an old NEF R-92 that is a much better .22 revolver than it has any right to be for the price.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
I've decided that the next .22 revolver, and maybe the last one I'll ever buy (I'm not typically a .22 guy) will be a blue Ruger Bearcat.

·
Premium Member
3,383 Posts
Everyone starts to drool when I dig out my new 4" 617. Every time we go out it is 250+ rounds. Even shot in a hurry, the gun doesn't overheat. The trigger is amazing and is real easy to stage the shots.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Ruger single six is a great pistol so it the bearcat. I have a buddy that has a heritage .22 revolver I think it was called a roughrider or somthing he loves it and they are only $150-160 in a few shops around here. They might be able to swich to a mag cylinder also cant remember.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I'm looking for the same thing. What's the price tag on a S&W 617?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Well, I gave $300 for my 94 just a month ago... Used. I could only fine the 317 new, and that was $550 and $630 respectively for the snub and 3" models. I figured, since the trigger pull is the same for both guns (really heavy), and there's only an 8oz weight difference between them, i'd take that extra green and buy bullets... Which I did... Check out the price for cci on midsouthshooterssupply.com when u get the chance... You will thank me.

I love the gun. I have probably put 3k rounds through it already (wal mart bulk, not. CCI). I have seen the occasion where the cylinder stutters when the shells become un-seated from the cylinder, but that's it. Be ready for a sore finger, but that's to be expected for either the smith or the Taurus.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 20 Posts