Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not a reloader so far. What kind of savings is there by reloading for practice ammo?

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Loading saves money but doesn't at the same time. You save money but you end up shooting more. Double edged sword. But you get a lot more out of it than just the perceived savings. You get a hobby out of it. You get the satisfaction of physically making your own rounds. You learn quite a bit about the mechanics of how everything works together. You get to tune loads to suit your specific needs. I got my entire setup for under 300 bucks and have already payed it off in the perceived "savings"

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Loading saves money but doesn't at the same time. You save money but you end up shooting more. Double edged sword."
I hear this all the time, but facts are facts, you save on a per round basis. Shoot more, buy the wife or kids something, whatever, but you do save per round. Buy in some sort of bulk, you are looking at 50% min for any caliber. Sometimes, as high as 75%.

·
Registered
3,491 Posts
It's addicting. Savings, yes. When 9mm shot to .40 and .50 a round, most of us here were still loading for .12 to .17 a round and still continue to do so.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Not a reloader so far. What kind of savings is there by reloading for practice ammo?
Ok, reloading today:
Powder, 1/2c
primer, 3c
berry's plated 115gr, 8.5c
So 12c per round or $6 per 50 factory equiv loads. Buy commercial cast lead, 6.5c each bullet or $5/50 box.
The xtreme end of reloading today. Casting your own bullets, free scrounged lead, less than $2/50. So yeah, I am shooting even 45acp for less than most people shoot 22lr today.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I went to the LGS today to look at all sorts of stuff. In the reloading section I found the following.

Sierra 115gr JHP $20/100
Hornady 115gr FMJ $17/100

Primers $38/1000

Powder $30/LB

They didn't have brass but the above is about $238/1000 FMJ and $268/1000 JHP.

They sell a Rock Chucker Supreme kit for $330 and 3 piece dies for $55.

The range I go to has mesh grates in the floor to trap all the brass. I don't know of anywhere to shoot where I could retrieve my empties. I suspect I could find sources for the above components for a fair amount less but if I have to buy brass every time I'm not sure how much I'd save.

I'm not sure about the hardware above either. I've heard that Dillon is one of the best available. Lots to research and consider.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
My costs are 78$/1k polycoated lead bullets. 30$/1k primers. 25$/1.25k worth of powder. Reuse brass as long as they aren't split or anything crazy.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
If you buy bullets by the 100, powder by the pound, and primers by the box you won't save a lot of money. You need to buy in bulk.

Primers 5,000 at a time you'll run about $25 even with the hazmat fee.

Powder....buy at least 5 lbs at a time.

Bullets...again 4000 to 5000 at a time.

Brass...if you're having problems getting brass, buy once-fired brass. About $50 per 1,000.

May seem like a lot of up front cost, but you'll save money over the long haul by buying in bulk.

Powder is still the hardest thing to find. Shouldn't have a problem finding the other components.

Good sources: Powder Valley, Grafs, 3rd Generation, Mid-South Shooters Supply, Precision Delta, Montana Gold Bullets, Midway. I'm sure others can chime with additional places, but these are the ones I've been using as of late.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't have a way to keep my old brass. The range is set up so it traps the empties under the floor.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
Lay down a blanket or sheet

·
Registered
717 Posts
Ok, reloading today:
Powder, 1/2c
primer, 3c
berry's plated 115gr, 8.5c
So 12c per round or $6 per 50 factory equiv loads. Buy commercial cast lead, 6.5c each bullet or $5/50 box.
The xtreme end of reloading today. Casting your own bullets, free scrounged lead, less than $2/50. So yeah, I am shooting even 45acp for less than most people shoot 22lr today.
DANG!!!!!

·
Registered
597 Posts
Around here I get 9mm brass for 3-4 cents a piece.
Even if you couldn't keep your brass that only adds a couple bucks per 50.
Baldwin's idea is good.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I was at a range where a handicapped shooter was shooting from his wheelchair. He made a rig from a pipe clamp that created a sort of limp sail that he clamped to the bench. Every shot he took ejected and arc'd thru the air right into his rig. I've also seen net rigs that strap to your shooting hand that catch the brass as it's ejected.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I don't have a way to keep my old brass. The range is set up so it traps the empties under the floor.
Goto a diff range. I won't shoot where they keep my brass. It is your after all.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Around here I get 9mm brass for 3-4 cents a piece.
Even if you couldn't keep your brass that only adds a couple bucks per 50.
Baldwin's idea is good.
Not true, cheapest brass you are going to find is once fired, in 9mm, about $40-50/1000 or throwing nickels away. No, what makes reloading cost effective is you can use he brass 10+ times.

·
Registered
597 Posts
I should've specified, used 9mm brass. And $30 per k is fairly common by me.
I was meaning even if you can't keep your brass, at even 5 cents a case. You're still cheaper than the 20+ cents for factory ammo.
Yes, the biggest saving is in the reusing brass.
That range is probably bagging up the used brass and selling them for 7 ¢ each.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I should've specified, used 9mm brass. And $30 per k is fairly common by me.
I was meaning even if you can't keep your brass, at even 5 cents a case. You're still cheaper than the 20+ cents for factory ammo.
Yes, the biggest saving is in the reusing brass.
That range is probably bagging up the used brass and selling them for 7 ¢ each.
They all do. One range I shoot always has a bay covered in 223' Leo stuff. We can pick up our pistol brass but if they catch you going after the 223, you get banned from the range. It's always about money.
Seriously though, if I had to buy once fired brass, not a lot cheaper than buying cheap ammo, keep the brass. Fortunately, I can get ll the service caliber brass I want to pickup. Still a lot of people shooting factory where I go. I don't even bother with 9 & 40 anymore.

·
Registered
717 Posts
They all do. One range I shoot always has a bay covered in 223' Leo stuff. We can pick up our pistol brass but if they catch you going after the 223, you get banned from the range. It's always about money.
Seriously though, if I had to buy once fired brass, not a lot cheaper than buying cheap ammo, keep the brass. Fortunately, I can get ll the service caliber brass I want to pickup. Still a lot of people shooting factory where I go. I don't even bother with 9 & 40 anymore.

Since im gonna start reloading, i guess i need to stop shooting at On-Target.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts