Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
93 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I mostly shoot my XD 9 at my family's ranch and sometimes the range. I live in apartments right now and am wondering which bullet would be the best in for defense. If I did have to use it, I would not want the bullet to go through the wall and hit a neighbor. Which bullets would be ideal in my situation?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts
Any defensive round will work for you. Bullets that are designed to not penetrate walls are basically overpriced junk.

Look at The Box O' Truth - Ammo Penetration Testing for ammunition reviews.

For what it's worth, I have an XD9 and I run 124 grain +P Speer Gold Dots. And until recently, I lived in an apartment. :D

·
Registered
294 Posts
I mostly shoot my XD 9 at my family's ranch and sometimes the range. I live in apartments right now and am wondering which bullet would be the best in for defense. If I did have to use it, I would not want the bullet to go through the wall and hit a neighbor. Which bullets would be ideal in my situation?
For Personal defense, I Personally use Federal Premium ... (personal preference only)

This site explains the difference in all their (Federals) P/D ammo. just click on each one to see. i.e. HST, EFMJ, Tactical Bonded ..etc....
http://le.atk.com/general/federalproducts/pistol/default.aspx

you can get some here.
Ammunition To Go : Your one stop for all of your ammunition needs!

·
Registered
294 Posts
Maybe...they'll also probably bounce of everything else, including a BG.

+ 100
Do NOT get these glaser safety slug .... Poor choice for home defense or Personal safety

·
Premium Member
5,354 Posts
I also use 124g+P Gold Dots for my XDs. There are other great options out there, including some of the Federal offerings.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Glaser Safety Slug

my instructor for my CCW class told us these will not panetrate 2 layers of drywall.
THe more stuff like this I hear form "instructor" makes me wonder what other bad info/instruction you received. A Glaser will limit penetration in drywall, but easily goes thru 2 layers, more like 6-8 layers. Choose a bullet that functions 100% in your pistol & practice so you limit your misses. Proper tactics & good shooting will prevail over this or that bullet choice.

·
Registered
14 Posts
THe more stuff like this I hear form "instructor" makes me wonder what other bad info/instruction you received. A Glaser will limit penetration in drywall, but easily goes thru 2 layers, more like 6-8 layers. Choose a bullet that functions 100% in your pistol & practice so you limit your misses. Proper tactics & good shooting will prevail over this or that bullet choice.
Hard to say, he is not a fly by night instructor as is the founder of https://www.whistlingpinesgunclub.com/index.asp

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
I have 115 grain Gold Dots loaded right now but will be getting 124 grain +p Gold soon...Glasers and the like are designed not to penetrate walls, they are low power and may not penetrate the BG...Also since they are low power may not cycle your slide properly...

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts

1. .223 40 gr. JHP
  2. BIRD SHOT.
A 9mm round will penetrate much more than either of the above. Then again the above two don't offer the best wounding potential. So its kind of a toss up. I too live in an apt and face this dilemma.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
115 grain +P QUALITY defense ammo or 124 +P of the same, you pick, I lile Gold Dots and Corbon. 115 grain will be at a higher FPS normaly, and transfer energy faster. 124 grain bulltes will most likely give you deeper penetration. Everything is subject to variables though. Nothing will be better than hitting what you aim at.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
I am partial to 124g Gold Dots and 147g Winchester SXT's. Either will stop a BG effectively. If you are worried about the slug not going through walls.........don't miss.;)

·
Banned
284 Posts
  1. .223 40 gr. JHP
  2. BIRD SHOT.
A 9mm round will penetrate much more than either of the above. Then again the above two don't offer the best wounding potential. So its kind of a toss up. I too live in an apt and face this dilemma.
That's some pretty BAD advice right there...Birdshot SUCKS for HD.
Are you trying to get someone killed by suggesting inadequate defensive ammunition?

Please view this link:
Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

RECOMMENDED 9MM DEFENSIVE CARTRIDGES:

Barnes XPB 115gr HP (35515) loaded by Cor-Bon (DPX09115)

Winchester Partition Gold 124gr JHP (RA91P)
Winchester Ranger-T 124 gr +P JHP (RA9124TP)
Winchester Ranger-T 127gr JHP +P+ (RA9TA)
Winchester Ranger-T 147gr JHP (RA9T)
Winchester Bonded 147gr JHP (RA9B/Q4364)

Speer Gold Dot 124gr JHP +P (53617)
Speer Gold Dot 147gr JHP (53619)

Remington Golden Saber 147gr JHP (GS9MMC)

Federal Tactical 124gr JHP (LE9T1)
Federal Tactical 135gr JHP +P (LE9T5)
Federal HST 147gr JHP (P9HST2)

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
Are you trying to get someone killed by suggesting inadequate defensive ammunition?
Often times people don't continue reading the entire post after they come across something they find to be objectionable. I'm guilty of this myself.

If you would have continued to read on, you would have seen this:

...Then again the above two don't offer the best wounding potential. So its kind of a toss up. I too live in an apt and face this dilemma.
Yes, Bird shot is not good for defense, neither is 40 gr. 223 JHP's. My point was that these two are the only options that would offer the piece of mind of not over penetrating. However, neither has the capability of sufficient wounding potential. Hence the "dilemma" I originally spoke about.

Learn to read the entire post.

·
Premium Member
9,099 Posts
And just to play devil's advocate.

People say the .22 isn't an "adequate round for self defense" either, ever read the stats on deaths from a .22 caliber?

·
Premium Member
6,603 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looks like someone put some money in that range!

Care to elaborate on why you're calling them out?
not really calling anyone out, it is a great facility, someone stated that my "instructor" may not have given good info in my class, I was just stating that he was not a fly by night instructor. There seam to be many instructors here in Colorado with the boom on CCW licenses. I am sure there are some that are not that great and are just after a quick $.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts