Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
324 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My XDm 4.5 in .45 has a separate op-rod and spring. Is the 9 and .40 like this too or are they a captured assembly a la Glock?

·
Registered
464 Posts
my XD9 service 4 in. was captive. but now two pieces.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
My XDm 4.5 in .45 has a separate op-rod and spring. Is the 9 and .40 like this too or are they a captured assembly a la Glock?
Usually 4" or below will have a captive guide rod. XD subcompacts, and service will have a captive guide rod while the tactical 5" will not.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
I believe that what he wants to know is if the spring and rod can be separated. For instance, in my previous gun, XDM9 4.5, you could take the rod out of the spring, but in my new XDM9c, the spring and rod cannot be separated.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts

The 4.5" models all have the same separate rod and spring.

Curious, are you thinking about expanding into 9/40 land?

·
Registered
52 Posts
My XDM 4.5 has a captive rod/spring combo. I could seperate them with pliers though. It is an older gun.

Craig

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Then it's not the captive type because the captive is welded together.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Like AGALINDO said. In the XD and XDm every pistol with 4.5" or longer barrel/slide comes factory stock with a separate guide rod and spring. Every XD and XDm pistol with a 4" or less stock barrel/slide comes factory stock with a captive guiderod/spring assembly. Nothing hard to follow.

All the 4.5 inch XDm and 5" XD pistols have aftermarket (separate) springs and guide rods available in various weights. As of a few days ago, ALL 4" XD pistols have an aftermarket conversions from the captive assembly to separate springs and guide rods. (Yes, even the 4" XD45 has joined the aftermarket spring arena, thanks to CanyonCreek's latest offering).

What you find in a used pistol can be stock or some variant of aftermarket springs and guide rods, or a mix of stock and aftermarket parts. Some mfgs even offer captive dual spring assemblies for those pistols that had separate springs and guide rods as stock.

edit: I just received a Canyon Creek guide rod and 3 spring weights (tuning) set of springs for my XD-45 Service. I plan on turning my own tungsten guide. (Canyon Creek also offers the tungsten rod). For extra springs, add the extra springs order to the instruction block of the order form @ $7.50 each. Their 20# spring should be closest to a stock weight and compression/timing curve.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Some of the guide rods have a small step of expanded diameter just at the cap end of the guide. This serves to help hold the end of the (separate) spring in place during disassembly. This is not considered a captive assembly. To remove, just turn spring against direction of the coil twist to expand the spring diameter while pulling.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts