Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently bought two those 53 rifles for $89 each. Other than the stocks being beat to hell they're really in good shape. No real rust or pitting... they were cosmoline filled.

The stocks are really bad... one has about 8% finish left and one has shallow splintering. I'm going to sand both stocks down and probably just clearcoat finish them. Purists say leave them alone.. I say I dont want splinters or for my stocks to rot away. Plus they dont have any interesting marks... so no big loss.

Anyways here's the "before" pics

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
The t53 rifles are usually fairly rough. Especially on the butt stock area. The Vietnamese used to put them against trees so they didn't have to shoulder the recoil. Still a good find. The actions are usually just as good as the m44, so I'd say you scored some sweet carbines!

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Screw the purists, sand those damn things down and seal them. Congratulations, you've effectively taken nothing off the resale value.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Very nice. I can't find any mosins for a realistic price around here. It's all double or more of what they're worth.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
True before... one last attempt to pull dents out and check for cosmoline with the heat gun.... next pics of this stock and it will be sanded.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Screw the purists, sand those damn things down and seal them. Congratulations, you've effectively taken nothing off the resale value.
My sentiments exactly. Its mine its in my c&r log book and I have no intent to sell.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

I'm happy with it. Especially no more splinters

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Reassembled and next to the stock of the second rifle. Definite an improvement... that second rifle stock was the better looking of the two now this one puts that one to shame.

·
Premium Member
4,437 Posts
Is it sad that as soon as I saw $89 I immediately thought of a Mosin? xD

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I have a 1953 Type 53 and it looked about as bad as yours when I got it.

Cleaned it up and the thing is a respectable shooter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts