Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I carry a 3.3" 9mm XDs Gen1, and I think it may be time to replace the magazine springs. I use 7, 8, and 9-round magazines, and I'd like to replace all of the springs, but I can only find 9-round in stock (at Numrich).

So the 8 and 9-round magazines use the same spring?

Has anyone tried using a worn-out 8/9-round spring in a 7-round magazine? Or should I just buy new 7-shot magazines?

If it helps, I'm replacing the springs because I'm having intermittent failures to lock back on empty magazines. New mag springs seem like a good first step in fixing the problem. I've carried this pistol nearly every day for 4 years, but only shoot it a few times a year. I wouldn't have thought the magazine springs would wear out so quickly.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
If it helps, I'm replacing the springs because I'm having intermittent failures to lock back on empty magazines. New mag springs seem like a good first step in fixing the problem. I've carried this pistol nearly every day for 4 years, but only shoot it a few times a year. I wouldn't have thought the magazine springs would wear out so quickly.
I agree, it doesn't seem like you have put nearly enough rounds through them for the mag springs to have weakened that much. I've put thousands of rounds through mine and haven't had the problem with my XDs Gen 1 .45

If you shoot right-handed, are you sure you aren't inadvertently pressing the slide release with your thumb while shooting? Try shooting a few mags left-handed and see if the problem goes away.

Another possibility is improper grip aka "limp wristing". Yeah, I know, everybody says they don't do that, but I can't tell you how many people I've had in my classes that needed to solidify their grips to prevent issues like this. Grip that thing like you mean it - both strength of grip and downward pressure, like you are trying to shove a tomato stake into the ground.

And, of course, there's the tried-and-true method of having another experienced shooter put a few mags through it to see if they have the same problem.

Good luck!

·
Registered
681 Posts
Have you cleaned them? Just pull them apart and wipe them down. I know some of the competition guys use auto wax on them to keep things sliding freely. I’ll also second the finger hitting the slide lock button too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't think dirt or fouling was the problem. The magazines may have had some dust or lint when I first had the problem at the range, but I cleaned them when I got home, and cycled the action by hand, and still had the problem. Since it happened when I cycled the gun by hand, and when actually firing it, I think I can rule out the notion of my grip holding down the slide stop. I'm holding the gun differently when firing, vs hand-cycling.

I finally got the 2 new springs, and then went to the range just yesterday. I wish I had taken a comparison photo of the new springs, but after a few days being fully loaded in my 9-round magazines, and then a little range time, the new springs are quite a bit shorter than when they arrived. Still longer than the old springs, though, and they feel stiffer.

I tested the new springs several times, by loading a single round in each magazine, and then fired them both fully loaded. I also cycled the gun by hand a few times with both of the newly-sprung magazines. The problem has occurred in both modes. I also tested an old 8/9-round spring in a 7-round magazine, and it cycled just fine. The only problem was, a full magazine wouldn't seat, with the bolt forward. I cut off one coil of the old spring, which fixed that problem.

Unfortunately, because it was an intermittent problem, I really don't know if the springs were at fault. Can't hurt to replace them, though. I plan to order new springs for the 8-rounders, and I'll order some 7-round magazines, if the springs aren't available soon.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts