Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 7mm08 and yesterday as I was sighting it in it was all over the place it was not the scope and we had a lead sled so it wasn't us in just wondering if the type of grain bullet was to much I was using 140 grain

·
Registered
4,447 Posts
I have a 7mm08 and yesterday as I was sighting it in it was all over the place it was not the scope and we had a lead sled so it wasn't us in just wondering if the type of grain bullet was to much I was using 140 grain
Try a different brand of ammo and different bullet weights, not all rifles like all brands and bullet weights. This post is in the wrong forum, you will get better responses if you post in the rifle forum or the ammo can.

don

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
You're going to have to experiment like dglock recommends. Do you know the specs on the barrel such as twist rate, barrel length, barrel contour, etc.? Also, what brand of rifle is it? Is it new or used and how long have you had it? Need a lot more info.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an 08 that doesn't like 140's either. Absolute most accurate in mine are 120g Sierra flat base. One hole at 100 yards. I reload though.

·
Banned
2,879 Posts
I would definitely try some different loads. BTW, you didn't mention which one you used. Generally, the rifle makers use a twist that was established for 140 gr. bullets. Remington introduced the legitimate cartridge after it had gained great popularity as a "Wildcat" in benchrest shooting. The rifles they made for it had a 1 in 9.25" twist rate where most others now use a 1 in 9.5" twist. Not enough difference to matter. That is not to say that your rifle won't like a lighter bullet better.It also might prefer a heavier bullet. Hornady makes a load called the Custom Lite that uses a 120 gr. SST at lower velocity for less recoil. I've asked them to release to handloaders as a component bullet, and hopefully they will in the future. The Custom Lite is one of very few factory hunting loads you'll find without a 139/140 gr. bullet.

And, welcome to the forum! ;)

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Recheck everything; scope bedding, action crews, muzzle crown. The 140gr is the bullet the 7-08 was designed around. Rifles are fickle bitches, it may take 4-5 diff ammo types to ind the right one.

·
Registered
2,473 Posts
Hi Jake... Just a hint when asking for help or opinions about something: "All over the place" is a bit on the ineffective side to describe a quantifiable result. It might be better to say something like "groups varied from 4"-6" at 100 yards" so we know what you are dealing with. Like 57K said and others have described, different bullets may well give other results. I am also with Fred in rechecking all the factors that can contribute to wandering accuracy. The hint about checking the barrel crown for dents, dings, or unevenness is a good one too. If the groups are all about the same spread that's one thing even if they are large. If they are various in spread and in different parts of the target for each group then it could be something else. So... the more information you give us when you post, the more accurate the answers may be. We just want to help.

And... welcome to the forum.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts