Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back I bought a large quantity of "7.65 Argentine" rifle ammo under the assumption that my grandfather was correct in telling me that the rifle I was holding was an argie.

low and behold it was not.

so then i went and got one rather than try and re- sell the ammo :)

so in researching the weapon i found that the argentine round should be 7.65x53. The ammo i got is head stamped 7.65x54.

the rifle is a model 1891

this is a long way to go about asking if anyone has any experience with surplus ammo that is marked this way in an 1891 argie bolt gun?

·
Premium Member
1,684 Posts
My understanding is that 7.65 Argentine, 7.65x53 and 7.65x54 are three names for the same cartridge.

I did a Google search and found a number of web pages on the issue, but at least take a look at the third paragraph here:
Mauser Bolt Rifle FAQ

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
No, the Argentine round is not rimmed like the 54R.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
32 Posts
I wish you would'a posted that ammo in the classifieds here! That stuff is expensive!
I just shot my 1891 7.65 argentine last week, and I forgot how awesome the gun is.

I'm not certain about your question, but my grandpa used to cut down old 30-06 brass for reloading. I have about 150 rounds that he left for me when he died, which I use for target ammo.
A few years ago I went to buy some ammo and I paid nearly $40 for 20 rounds, and I had to drive over an hour one way to get it lol.

You got any pics of your rifle to post?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts