Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With handguns, I'm familiar with how a JHP differs from a FMJ both in terms of expansion and penetration. However, since I just got my first zombie gun (a Romanian AKM) I'm curious as to what's the difference between two rounds of similar weight (Wolf 122grain) but different construction.

Does the JHP expand and create a larger wound cavity like they do with handgun ammo? Will a FMJ tend to overpenetrate a subject (possibly useful in the case of a zombie apocalypse).

What would be an ideal defense round for SHTF situations in this caliber?

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
With handguns, I'm familiar with how a JHP differs from a FMJ both in terms of expansion and penetration. However, since I just got my first zombie gun (a Romanian AKM) I'm curious as to what's the difference between two rounds of similar weight (Wolf 122grain) but different construction.

Does the JHP expand and create a larger wound cavity like they do with handgun ammo?
yes
Will a FMJ tend to overpenetrate a subject (possibly useful in the case of a zombie apocalypse).
depends how much pentration you need. dont want the bullet to just ball up under the hide.
What would be an ideal defense round for SHTF situations in this caliber?
12 gauge 0 buck

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
depends how much pentration you need. dont want the bullet to just ball up under the hide.
what do you mean "ball up under the hide."?

Now, I know that 00 buck is the way to go in most SHTF situations. But of the 7.62x39 rounds, which would be better for defense?

·
Premium Member
13,498 Posts
what do you mean "ball up under the hide."?

Now, I know that 00 buck is the way to go in most SHTF situations. But of the 7.62x39 rounds, which would be better for defense?
I have to believe the HP to be better for SD applications both for expansion after penetration and the fact that HP will tend to stop in the target and FMJ would tend to go right through, creating more of a hazard in a home environment.

·
Registered
29,809 Posts
Actually, the common 7.62x39 Wolf/Golden Tiger/Russkie "Hollow Points" don't expand much at all, if at all. The critters I've seen shot with them tend to have a similar exit wound as FMJ rounds.

Premium US-made rounds will probably expand properly.

In the mythical, unicorn-riding SHTF scenario, any ammo will do just fine.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Soft lead nose is typical for hunting with 7.62x39. Wolf makes plenty of that. It seems to me that if it is o.k. for killing deer then it should work well for what goes creep in the night.

·
Registered
1,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Now you know why so many people are obsessed with SHTF!

She rides a unicorn and she's hot!

If this is what happens when SHTF then turn it on 'High' and I'll be the monkey!

·
Registered
15,712 Posts
the JHP's don't do anything much different then the FMJ's. i can still punch holes in 1/4 inch steel at 100 yard with a JHP.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
I'll take either:D

Although....tracer rounds would work better!

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Red or green?

I have a few red ones....have never tried them out.

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
Isn't the tip painted red or green?

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
BWAHAHA...

yellow, really...that would be a neat tracer round. Mine are red.

Like your neck!!!!

·
Registered
7,622 Posts
1 - 20 of 21 Posts