Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody familiar with the 7.62x25 Tokarev round? My grandfather had an old CZ 27 that he got in WWII that shoots this. The gun is old and not in shooting condition, but i'm sure can be fixed up.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
I have a CZ 52 Pistol chambered in 7.62 x 25. It is a relatively long, bottlenecked cartridge (looks kinda like a .38 Special Bottlenecked down to .32). There is a wide range of loadings for this round, some as low as 1200 fps, and as high as 1650 fps for pistols. There is also Submachine Gun (SMG) ammo that is dimensionally the same but loaded significantly hotter, and not supposed to be fired in pistols. Some say the CZ 52, which is built like a Tank can handle it but I don't think I'd push my luck. Also available is East Bloc Military Surplus Ammo, from various former Soviet Countries in varying degrees of quality, power and reliability. Almost all ammo available is hardball, but they sell JHP's on Makarov.com

·
Banned
3,861 Posts
My neighbor has a Tok, it's a helluva pistol to shoot. Ugly as all get out though. From my understanding the 7.62 x 25 was developed to penetrate the heavy winter clothing worn in Soviet Bloc countries. It's like a .357 on meth. I can always tell when he's shooting it.

bd

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
Not much else to add, but I'd like to reiterate willbond's comment about SMG ammo: it is considered unsafe to fire SMG ammo in a Tokarev or CZ52. They're just too hot. If you're lookin to get one, it'd serve you well to research the difference between the two ammo types (I don't remember off hand...sorry.)

Also, the CZ52 has a decocker that shouldn't be used; the mechanism, over time, has become unreliable, and it's use is a good way to get an AD.

(And don't try fire a CZ52....you'll break the firing pin.)

Despite all of the previously listed warning, i'll be getting 2 CZ52's here in the next few months. :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Yeah, bd, some of those East Bloc weapons are kinda ugly, and I thought my CZ52 was goofy looking too, at first.

Mr0w1 is exactly right about the decocker on the CZ52, and I wouldn't use it to decock the pistol with a round chambered. Also, I have a machined aftermarket firing pin.

I'm really becoming interested in these Soviet Era Pistols. A Makarov is next on my list, and one of these days I might get a Tokarev TT-33. These are some of the best values in Pistols today, with lots of accessories available (especially the Makarov), and you know what? If I somehow mess up my CZ52, I'll be pissed, but not like I would if I messed up my XD. :D

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
M said:
What is a fair price for a used tokarev that is in fair condition?

$80-$200 depending on your region and where the pistol is from (collector or commercial) like a chinese with the safety or a Tula pre or post war, no safety. And if you get a CZ52 also spring for some firing pins. And don't forget the 9mm conversion barrel. Some develop a small "crack" on the slide but it is in debate on being from stress or for designed for expansion, these things were used/issued to survive some harsh climates.

http://www.germansales.com a bunch of us at gunboards bought some of these TT-33s

·
Registered
539 Posts
Some guy on gunbroker is selling TT-33's for 500 bucks. I have no idea whether or not his are worth it. They are pretty cool looking (in a goofy Worker's Paradise/Gulag kinda way). :D

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
willbond said:
Some guy on gunbroker is selling TT-33's for 500 bucks. I have no idea whether or not his are worth it. They are pretty cool looking (in a goofy Worker's Paradise/Gulag kinda way). :D

maybe some of the GSP imports that came over. War dated Tula nad Ishevsk made. BATF just shut them down pending some problems with either the no "safety" milspec or maybe an importation violation. The latter cannot come from Russia, and if Russian made must have been stored in another country for 5+ years. They were selling them for $250 in VG+ with an extra mag. It was a killer deal. I think www.empirearms.com still has some left, slightly higher price of course.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The decocker is only unsafe with an old well used pistol, or if you tinker with the firing pin...

I have used my decocker often and safely. My reccomendation is to test the decocker when you are at the range and the pistol is pointed in a safe direction.

it's a firebreather...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts