Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello, I am a recently retired university professor. Years ago, I grew up shooting .22s and shotguns with my Dad in New Mexico. I have real respect for our 2nd Amendment rights and have become more and more concerned about the conditions of our country and the over-reaching Federal Government.

Two incidents recently brought me up short.

First was a break-in where all of my clothes, billfold, car keys, credit cards, etc. were stolen out of my gym locker by a young drug addict punk. I, fortunately, stayed on the police and remarkably, they caught the guy and actually recovered most of my items. He is now in jail. By my being really persistent, the police went around and immediately got pictures from the places he used my credit cards. The police were great and were happy to help me.

Second happened last week, where I was confronted in a downtown parking lot by a pretty rough looking man who demanded that I give him some money. I was close enough to my car that I jumped in, locked the doors, and drove away. I realized how badly the situation could have turned out. There was no one around to help me and I had no way to defend myself.

I have resolved to buy a handgun, take classes, and get a CHP so I will never again be that vulnerable. I may be retired but I do not plan to be a patsy.

I love retirement and at the age of 68 learned a whole new skill of shaving with a straight razor just for the fun of it. Now I am going to learn how to properly shoot a handgun and defend myself. Wish me luck.

I am considering a Springfield XD40 sub compact for my first handgun.

·
Premium Member
127,161 Posts
Hello, I am a recently retired university professor.

Welcome to the forum! I am a university professor only a few years younger than you.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Welcome to the forums from WA state, and cogratulations on choosing to NOT be a victim.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Welcome to the forum from Louisiana. I'm not a university professor, but I'm almost your age. 63 this month.

·
Premium Member
21,366 Posts
hello there

·
Registered
2,483 Posts
Welcome from Washington State! You sound like an active person, but shaving with a straight edge razor? Now that's living on the edge!

·
Registered
676 Posts
Welcome form the north side of Dallas!

·
Premium Member
4,479 Posts
Welcome from Wonderful Wyoming.

·
Registered
256 Posts
welcome for iowa and good for you more people your age should have your positave attitude about protecting them selfs and great choice on the xd40 i love mine:cool:

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
Welcome from Iowa

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Welcome from Austin. As strange as it gets now days, I have to agree that a concealed weapons permit is a necessity in Texas. While the cops do a fair job, in the best of circumstances they are too many away in a bad situation.

A recent story about a nut case in California beating a elderly man to death in in Walmart for no reason is reason enough to carry practically everywhere. When I went to the book fair recently in downtown Austin, there were police everywhere on the capitol grounds but none in downtown parking garages.

As a former Armored Cav Guy, and a combat vet, I usually assess my environment really everywhere. One simply never knows where it is safe and where it isn't.

Glad to have you onboard.

·
Registered
481 Posts
Welcome prof. from East TX........you only have me by 4 yrs.
Get that TX CHL....I have to renew mine in 5 months and I carry every time I leave the house.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Welcome from Wisconsin.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for the warm welcome and encouragement!!!

I have been reading the stickies and posts and have already learned a lot. This website really demystifies a lot about learning how to use a pistol, how to buy a first hand gun, gun safety, getting a CHL, and the DPS regulations. Thanks for all the help. I look forward to participating on XDTalk.

I figure if I can learn to safely use a straight razor at the age of 68, I can also learn to safely use a handgun. Last night, I was describing the CHL class to my wife and she said, "Perhaps it would be wise for me to also take the class and learn to shoot a handgun." I had to smile because I thought, "THAT IS A GREAT IDEA!" Frankly, I will feel a lot better knowing my wife can protect herself if she needs to. Of course, she will need to get "her own gun" because I plan on keeping mine with me all the time. I have a feeling I know what both of us will be getting for Christmas this year.

Haven't even started and already have a convert!

:D

1 - 20 of 34 Posts