Something to share with those who think you're off your rocker.
6 reasons Why Even Skeptics Should Prepare
For every prepper out there, there are dozens more who are skeptics. Some of these people raise an eyebrow when they hear about storing food or packing Bug Out Bags, while others are loud in their ridicule.
A Special Contribution by Lisa Bedford, TheSurvivalMom.com
Here are 6 irrefutable reasons
1. Unemployment can happen to anyone. Incredibly, the weekly number of new applications for unemployment hasnt dipped below 400,000 in months. Anyone with a pair of eyes can look around and see restaurants and businesses that have closed down, and you can check your own states unemployment rate here. Now, the average length of time a person will be out of work is more than nine months. Very few people are completely immune to long-term unemployment and the economic devastation it brings. It just makes sense to have a few weeks worth of groceries and some extra supplies on hand.
2. More and more financial experts are predicting an unavoidable economic Armageddon. Okay, so Gerald Celente can sound a little bit hysterical at times, but the chorus of doomsayers is getting louder and harder to ignore. Regardless of what you may think of Timothy Geithner, when the Secretary of the Treasury says of our future, Its going to feel very hard, harder than anything theyve experienced in their lifetime now, for a long time to come, thats hard to ignore. Why not take a few hundred dollars, if you have them, and buy silver coins? Why not do everything you can to get out of debt and making saving money a priority? The healthier you are, financially, the less of a hit youll take if all these experts prove to be true.
3. The number and size of natural disasters seems to be increasing. At first, I thought it was my imagination, but the number of natural disasters has been increasing. Its crazy to not assess your own vulnerability and take some precautions, just in case.
4. Think about your loved ones and those who depend on you. Okay, so maybe youre embarrassed at the thought of neighbors seeing boxes of freeze-dried food arriving at your house. But unless youre an orphaned, never-married virgin hermit, there are people who love you and, likely, some who depend on you to make smart decisions that will keep them safe and cared for.
5. Youre not sixteen anymore. There was a time when living by the seat of your pants was the only way to live. You could always find enough spare change under the seats of your 72 Mustang to pay for a burger and fries or a few gallons of gas. Life has changed, and its time to take a hard look at the future, your future. If youre counting on Social Security to see you through your golden years, youre already screwed. Inflation has arrived here in America, prices of food are rising each month. If youre ignoring the signs around you, well, maybe you still have the judgment of a sixteen year-old. Sad, really.
6. Dont worry. You wont look stupid. Todays preparedness is nothing like the crazy days of Y2K. Todays preppers take a longer view of the future. We could experience a long slide downward, one day realizing, I dont live in a first-world country anymore, or a collapse could come suddenly and violently, days or years from now. If youre prepared for those scenarios, and others, youll look like a genius when you pull out that bag of pre-1965 dimes and quarters and your family has a years worth of food stored, along with a thriving garden in the backyard.
Video Watch how Lisa Bedford, The Survival Mom prepares her family (click here starts around 2:25)