Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so at the gun shop i see a 6.8 SPC in a bolt action, i just could not think of a situation that this would be a good choice, the reason for the 6.8 is to fit in the magazine and action of an ar-15. so with the bolt action you arent limited to the same size. its usually short action or long action and you can fit a pretty big cartridge in a short action so why limit yourself to the 6.8 SPC

·
Registered
189 Posts
Because with improved chambers and a slower twist rate (slower than 1:10), you can nearly acheive 270 winchester performance with lighter bullets. For instance, in my 6.8 AR, I can get over 2700 fps out of my 18 inch upper. Thats with 110 grain accubond. I have read where people are getting over 3000 fps out of 16 inch barrels using 85 grain bullets. So, with a 24 inch barrel bolt action you could really start to see more velocity. If you reload you can get some increadible results out of that small cartridge. So...great performance with little recoil.

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
I want a 6.8 AR so bad........think I might sell/trade off a couple of my .223 lowers so I can get a 6.8 and begin the build.

·
Registered
189 Posts
you may have seen my posts in the AR section, but it is my favorite rifle. Taken 3 deer and a fox with it so far!

I am curious as to which chamber the remington 700's in 6.8spc are using. I will look it up. Does anyone else make a 6.8 bolt action?

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
I just know the .270 is my favorite caliber and if I'm correct the 6.8 crosses over to a like .277 so pretty dam close.

·
Registered
189 Posts
It uses a .277 calibre bullet. Same bullet as 270win. It is basically a 270 short.

Rem 700 in 6.8 says it has a 9" twist (1:9). That seems a bit fast to me. Not sure on the chamber, though I am sure it is standard saami chamber.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Well, it seems that Remington has several configurations for the 700's in 6.8. They have barrels in lengths of 26", 22", and 20". They have two different twists, 1:9, and 1:10. They only have the standard saami chambers though. Until they improve their chambers to SPCII, or DMR I would not get a 6.8 bolt action rifle. Even then you need a 1:11 or 1:12 twist to really start getting the performance I mentioned above. SO.....I would wait and see if they come out with these improvements. But....like you said, is there a need for 6.8 in bolt action? Maybe, but as long as I am getting sub MOA groups out of my AR I sure wont need one.

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Newbie question here, what exactly does the twist do? And whats the major difference between have more or less of a twist?

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Also what kind of groups you getting out of your 6.8? What scope you using? Cause mine will be my elk/deer rifle.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Newbie question here, what exactly does the twist do? And whats the major difference between have more or less of a twist?
the faster the twist the heavier bullet you can use. the heavier bullets have a higher BC and will penetrate deeper and will drop less and be less affected by wind

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
the faster the twist the heavier bullet you can use. the heavier bullets have a higher BC and will penetrate deeper and will drop less and be less affected by wind
So I definitly want a faster twist then on my 6.8 upper seeing as I wanna be able to do 500-600yrd shots, not that I do them often if at all but if I'm spotting a monster bull at that distance I dam well wanna be able to reach out and touch him. So what would be a good twist then?

·
Registered
189 Posts
For example: 1:9 twist is 1 rotation every 9 inches. Its all about bullet stabilization and pressure. In 6.8spc, a 1:11 twist is a good all around twist rate. It will allow you to stabalize 85 grains up to the 130 grain bullets. The 1:10 and 1:9 twist barrels are probably better for sticking to the 115 grain and 130 grain bullets. Much like twist rates in 5.56, the faster the twist the heavier the bullet it will stabilize. For example in 5.56 a 1:7 twist is recommended for shooting bullets 55grn and above. 1:8 or 1:9 are better for stabilizing 55grn and under bullets. I am not sure as to how the twist rate affects pressure, but I have read that twist rates in 6.8 affect pressure more than in any other calibre. It seems that the slower twist barrels (1:11 and 1:12) positively affect pressure in this round.

Hope this makes sense....sometimes I even get confused!:-(

·
Registered
189 Posts
So I definitly want a faster twist then on my 6.8 upper seeing as I wanna be able to do 500-600yrd shots, not that I do them often if at all but if I'm spotting a monster bull at that distance I dam well wanna be able to reach out and touch him. So what would be a good twist then?
Not necessarily! Go too fast of a twist with too heavy of a bullet, you will lose a lot of velocity. I like 110 grain bullets out of the 6.8, so I would go with 1:11 twist. 1:10 is readily available in 6.8 uppers, I would get a better barrel that has the 1:11 twist and improved chamber. Or you wont get near the results I have posted.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Also what kind of groups you getting out of your 6.8? What scope you using? Cause mine will be my elk/deer rifle.
I am getting .6" groups at 100yards with 110 grain accubond with a muzzle velocity of about 2710 fps. I am using a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x50 with larue mount.

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Cool thanks for the info, I will make sure I remember 1:11 twist when it comes time for a 6.8 upper. In my .270 I tend to stick to 115gr so that should work out nicely I'm hoping.

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Got any photos of your rifle? And always if you don't mind me asking what was rough cost for your rifle? Not including optics. And I'm guessing you built it yourself or did you buy complete?

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
Dam all this talk is making me wanna sell my DPMS AP4 in .308 and just use all that and start this 6.8 build now!

·
Registered
189 Posts
I LOVE the accubonds in 110.....excellent deer round. The Barnes X bullets are even better...they offer them in 85, and 110's. I cant remember what bullets are available in the 115 weight. If you reload you will have a blast with this round. Price.....I think my upper was close to $900 before optics. That was everything including free floating hand guard and BCG. Total cost was probably more than $2,000, but....I put a UBR on mine, single stage match trigger, larue mounts, and a pretty nice scope. I did build this one myself....every single part. Not as hard as you think, saved some money too.
I have one picture but it didnt turn out too well. I am going to post more pictures soon....but here is the one I have. I will try to add a new picture tonight.

·
Premium Member
9,204 Posts
So you're saying $2k including scope price or that gun parts only?

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
I know this is kinda off topic, so for that I apologize. But I gotta say, if you are planning on hunting elk, use a bigger cartridge than a 6.8 spc. ESPECIALLY if your wanting to make 400-500 yard shots on one, like you talked about.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts