Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a box of Rainier .40 s&w 155gr FP bullets at Cabelas the other day and plan on loading them with 6.5 grains of Unique. This is 10% less than the beginning load for a 155 gr FMJ in my Speer manual. The Rainier website recommends backing your load 10% from regular FMJ. Think I'm safe? Anyone else shooting this load? Thanks!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I picked up a box of Rainier .40 s&w 155gr FP bullets at Cabelas the other day and plan on loading them with 6.5 grains of Unique. This is 10% less than the beginning load for a 155 gr FMJ in my Speer manual. The Rainier website recommends backing your load 10% from regular FMJ. Think I'm safe? Anyone else shooting this load? Thanks!
Ranier recommends loading 10% off jacketed data, NOT 10% below starting data. They will shoot, but you may have functioning issues. The other way to go is use lead data. Usually, starting jacketed data works fine w/ a lead or plated bullet.
Lyman has lead data for 150gr bullets. You can always use heavier bullet data for lighter bullets. So if you can't find 155gr lead data, using 170gr lead data will work. It isn't go to blow the gun up.

·
Registered
22 Posts
This may be a bit off topic but what is the advantage of plated bullets? Why use plated instead of jacketed?
Plated bullets have a good place in regards to many things. They represent a middle ground in price between Jacketed and Lead. They dont offer the health negitives that Lead do. Also, every indoor range i go to do not allow Lead bullets, but fully allow Plated, so you can still shoot a little cheaper than jacketed. I shoot almost exclusively plated bullets since I dont shoot lead. With most Plated, you cant go over 1200FPS, and that means in most guns you can push them equally as fast as plated just with a little less powder. I shoot plated 9mm, 40SW, 38Spec, 45ACP and some 357. Berrys Bullets have always worked great for me.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ranier recommends loading 10% off jacketed data, NOT 10% below starting data. They will shoot, but you may have functioning issues. The other way to go is use lead data. Usually, starting jacketed data works fine w/ a lead or plated bullet.
Lyman has lead data for 150gr bullets. You can always use heavier bullet data for lighter bullets. So if you can't find 155gr lead data, using 170gr lead data will work. It isn't go to blow the gun up.
Wouldn't 10% off of a beginning jacketed load be correct then? As far as being safe then working up from there. Thanks!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Plated bullets have a good place in regards to many things. They represent a middle ground in price between Jacketed and Lead. They dont offer the health negitives that Lead do. Also, every indoor range i go to do not allow Lead bullets, but fully allow Plated, so you can still shoot a little cheaper than jacketed. I shoot almost exclusively plated bullets since I dont shoot lead. With most Plated, you cant go over 1200FPS, and that means in most guns you can push them equally as fast as plated just with a little less powder. I shoot plated 9mm, 40SW, 38Spec, 45ACP and some 357. Berrys Bullets have always worked great for me.
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Wouldn't 10% off of a beginning jacketed load be correct then? As far as being safe then working up from there. Thanks!
Not STARTING jacketed though. Starting data rarely yields functional loads, 10% off starting, I a, betting it doesn't function, but maybe. Load no more than 10rds regardless, saves you having to shoot them single shot.
They represent a middle ground in price between Jacketed and Lead.
Not really true today. You can buy Precision Delta jacketed fo rless than Berry's or Ranier or X-treme. So in todays pricing, plated offers no real advantage at all to jacketed bullets w/ a negative like being finicky to over crimping.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts