Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finally got out to do some live firing. I just got my Walther p22ca up and running, I was a little excited about shooting it today. I wanted to compare the Walther p22ca vs my Advantage arms 22 conversion kit vs the Phoenix Arms hp22 馃槅. I also brought 1 of my xdsc 9mm and a xd 4" 9mm.

So today's ammo was remington thunderbolt 22lr and federal auto match. The thunderbolts definitely have a little more spice to them then the federals. Along with the spice comes case failures.

These are only a few of the case failures I kept and photographed. There was well over a dozen. You can definitely notice when the failures would happen on the xd22 it felt like a squib load, so I found myself having to check the barrel for obstructions, on the p22ca the very little recoil would almost dissappear and I would have to help the pistol return to battery using my thumb, on my hp22 the pistol would not chamber the next round.

This was the first 40 rounds fired from the hp22, the target was a free sticker left on my target I believe its a 2". My hp22 shoots pretty high 4-5" @ 7 yards. This little pistol is super awesome, the only failures I had with it were ammo related. It has a amazing trigger far superior to the p22ca and XD22.

This was the first 30 rounds with my XD22 if you rule the 9mm holes its not a bad group. These were quick shots. Shooting this kit is super fun and you get actual XD trigger time. For the price it's hard to beat but it's not perfect.

Here's a little chunk of something that broke off. I have to look in to it, I'm just to lazy right now. The kit continued to run with out any hiccups.

This was the first 30 rounds thru the Walther p22ca. If you rule out the 9mm holes its not the worst group in the world again these shots were taken quick. The Walther started acting funny after a couple hundred rounds (keeping in mind this is with a brand new slide I got a little lube on her and a quick wipe and bam back in action).

I did slow down and tried for 1" circles. I quickly realized that this gun is awkward in my fat large hands. It's difficult for me to punch holes in the 1" targets. The same go's for the hp22. All the 1" targets were shot with my XD22. If I had been using 1 of my ruger mk pistols there's no doubt I can do it with 2 shots per target.

As for my XDsc go's it was shooting left and Iv decided I'm going back to standard sights. I did really well on the pistol steel side I wasn't able to get any video but I was very happy with my modified xd 4" 9mm. I ran 150 rounds between my 2 xd's. Winchester steel cased ammo yuk!, but it all went bang.

Registered
.22's can be very picky about the ammo they function with and/or shoot good groups with.

.22 conversion kits aren't always known for their accuracy either.

I used to think about getting a .22 conversion kit for one of the pistols but just never got around to it. One of the guys on the CZ Forum shoots bullseye with his CZ Kadet kit on a CZ75B frame. I just can't talk myself into spending $400 on a .22 conversion kit. Like you, I've got a Ruger. Mine's a Mk1 5.5" bull barrel and while not "like" anything else I shoot the groups are great.

Those split cases...that's not good at all. The only time I've seen a .22 do that (when it wasn't an out of battery firing issue) was on an old Savage pump .22 that had a badly eroded chamber. Makes me wonder if the chamber in the barrel that was doing that is miscut/oversized.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
.22's can be very picky about the ammo they function with and/or shoot good groups with.

.22 conversion kits aren't always known for their accuracy either.

I used to think about getting a .22 conversion kit for one of the pistols but just never got around to it. One of the guys on the CZ Forum shoots bullseye with his CZ Kadet kit on a CZ75B frame. I just can't talk myself into spending $400 on a .22 conversion kit. Like you, I've got a Ruger. Mine's a Mk1 5.5" bull barrel and while not "like" anything else I shoot the groups are great.

Those split cases...that's not good at all. The only time I've seen a .22 do that (when it wasn't an out of battery firing issue) was on an old Savage pump .22 that had a badly eroded chamber. Makes me wonder if the chamber in the barrel that was doing that is miscut/oversized.
The split cases came from all 3 pistols. The what I call xd22 and p22ca both are @ under 2k rounds and have clean cut chambers . It was definitely the ammo. The Advantage Arms kit I got for $250 and spare mags were under $20. Still not an amazing deal but it gives me trigger time on my xd frames. It's a ton of fun to shot. The p22ca was purchased for my son. The hp22 is a must have @ $100.

Registered
Hi @Mike51392,

Fun stuff! I'm glad you made it out to the range for some practice. Your range is about an hour from me (on a good day).

The way you describe your split cases, it makes me think I had that happen with my P22 last Saturday. I thought it sounded like a squib load too. I didn't check the case but I'll bet that's what happened. The gun was smoking out of the chamber until I dropped the magazine and cleared it. I ran a zip tie through the barrel to make sure it wasn't obstructed. Then I loaded'er up and kept shooting. ;)

I've been wanting one of the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits too. They were supposed to be back in stock this past March but the website always says 'Out Of Stock' for the XD9 model. Drat. I'll keep checking back. Maybe I'll get lucky.

That bit that fell off your gun, have you looked at it yet? Does it look like it broke from here? The edge looks similar. Is this the conversion kit slide? I hope you get it sorted.

Thanks for sharing your fun! I hope to do the same very soon. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi @Mike51392,

Fun stuff! I'm glad you made it out to the range for some practice. Your range is about an hour from me (on a good day).

The way you describe your split cases, it makes me think I had that happen with my P22 last Saturday. I thought it sounded like a squib load too. I didn't check the case but I'll bet that's what happened. The gun was smoking out of the chamber until I dropped the magazine and cleared it. I ran a zip tie through the barrel to make sure it wasn't obstructed. Then I loaded'er up and kept shooting. ;)

I've been wanting one of the Advantage Arms .22 conversion kits too. They were supposed to be back in stock this past March but the website always says 'Out Of Stock' for the XD9 model. Drat. I'll keep checking back. Maybe I'll get lucky.

That bit that fell off your gun, have you looked at it yet? Does it look like it broke from here? The edge looks similar. Is this the conversion kit slide? I hope you get it sorted.

View attachment 841267

Thanks for sharing your fun! I hope to do the same very soon. ;)

BassCliff
That's exactly where it broke from il inspect it today after work

Premium Member
Finally got out to do some live firing. I just got my Walther p22ca up and running, I was a little excited about shooting it today. I wanted to compare the Walther p22ca vs my Advantage arms 22 conversion kit vs the Phoenix Arms hp22 馃槅. I also brought 1 of my xdsc 9mm and a xd 4" 9mm.
A lot of great information. Thanks for posting.

Registered
Hey Mike!

That's exactly where it broke from il inspect it today after work
What's the story with that broken bit off your slide? Is that the Advantage Arms conversion slide?

BassCliff

Registered
Mike--

How does the "XD22" feel when firing? Does the 22 round successfully cycle the slide?

Thank you in advance!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mike!

What's the story with that broken bit off your slide? Is that the Advantage Arms conversion slide?

BassCliff
Sorry for the late reply, yes the piece that broke is part of the slide. Fortunately the part is replaceable, unfortunately I can't find the replacement part on there website. So I sent an email and im waiting for a response. The slide did come with a 1 year warranty but it's over now. If I continue shooting the slide it will eventually brake as its aluminum. The last round mag catch part that broke is steel.

Mike--

How does the "XD22" feel when firing? Does the 22 round successfully cycle the slide?

Thank you in advance!
With good ammo the slide cycles 100% of the time. When the cases would split, the slide wouldn't cycle the next round and it felt like a squib load. So much so that I would clear check the barrel for obstructions. I have to give it to the p22ca on this 1 as when the cases would split the gun would still cycle the next round.

Registered
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply, yes the piece that broke is part of the slide. Fortunately the part is replaceable, unfortunately I can't find the replacement part on there website. So I sent an email and im waiting for a response. The slide did come with a 1 year warranty but it's over now. If I continue shooting the slide it will eventually brake as its aluminum. The last round mag catch part that broke is steel.
View attachment 842034
View attachment 842032
View attachment 842033

With good ammo the slide cycles 100% of the time. When the cases would split, the slide wouldn't cycle the next round and it felt like a squib load. So much so that I would clear check the barrel for obstructions. I have to give it to the p22ca on this 1 as when the cases would split the gun would still cycle the next round.
Thanks for letting us know what's going on. I still want one of these conversion kits but the website says they are still sold out. I hope they have parts for you. My little P22CA gets the job done but if I could train more, and more cheaply, with "my" pistol I certainly would enjoy practicing even more and maybe even progress faster. ;)

Since I put the Tandemkross captive spring on my P22CA it's running better, even with cheap ammo, now that it's getting broken in a little bit.

Good luck to you, sir. I hope Advantage Arms can service your slide.

BassCliff

Registered
If you are within 2 years of purchase and you paid with a credit card, it may be covered by an extended warranty if offered by your CC company.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts