Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at getting into reloading, these are the two presses that I am looking at and can't seem to decide.

I like the auto indexing of the LnL, but Dillon is right across town if I needed anything or had an issue.

I know the 550B has been around awhile, has a great reputation and great warranty.

But I believe the Hornady deserves a fair look at.

Calibers I'll be loarding are 9mm, .40, .45 acp, 5.56/.223, and .308/7.62x51.

I'm not in any rush to buy but I would like your opinions please.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Personally I like the 550b better. But if you want a case feeder, then the LNL deserves consideration. If you know that a case feeder is not something you need, then I'd get the 550b.

I wouldn't let the auto indexing play into your decision. Auto indexing doesn't really save that much time, a case feeder does though.

·
Registered
265 Posts
RL-550B. If you want a case feeder, you can buy one for it too. Dillon is the best.

·
Registered
786 Posts
very poor priming system on LNL so bad my son sizes and primes when runs 2nd time to drop powder and seat bullet. no way to chk primer during loading

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
RL-550B. If you want a case feeder, you can buy one for it too. Dillon is the best.
The case feeder for the 550b is not reliable. The best thing about the 550b is its simplicity. It was not designed for a case feeder like the LNL or 650.

Have you ever loaded on a 550b with a CF?

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
very poor priming system on LNL so bad my son sizes and primes when runs 2nd time to drop powder and seat bullet. no way to chk primer during loading
I can't believe he still loads on it. A progressive that doesn't prime is useless IMO. I've never run into this problem on the LNL's I've loaded on. Sounds like an isolated problem to me.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Both are good presses. There are several reasons why I like the LnL for me.

One is that it autoindexes. That speeds things up.

Two is that it has five stations, not four. This allows me, with the casemouth expander in the powder measure station (two in one functions), to open up the 3rd station for the RCBS lockout die.

The lockout die will lock the press if you have too much powder in a case or too little. Nominally it will identify and lock the press if there's a no-powder or a double-load situation, but it actually is more sensitive than that.

The point is that I don't have to rely on a powder check that requires me to constantly monitor it. I never understood the idea of a powder cop or anything similar that still required me to monitor it, and the RCBS die works whether I watch it or not.

I would not willingly go to another press that wouldn't allow me this failsafe. IMO, it's the best thing RCBS has produced, and they've produced a lot of great engineering. In fact, I have two lockout dies, one set up for 9mm, one for .45, so I don't have to reset them to switch calibers.

The 550b is a good press. The testimonials make that clear. But it doesn't have what I want.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Both are good presses. There are several reasons why I like the LnL for me.

One is that it autoindexes. That speeds things up.

Two is that it has five stations, not four. This allows me, with the casemouth expander in the powder measure station (two in one functions), to open up the 3rd station for the RCBS lockout die.

The lockout die will lock the press if you have too much powder in a case or too little. Nominally it will identify and lock the press if there's a no-powder or a double-load situation, but it actually is more sensitive than that.

The point is that I don't have to rely on a powder check that requires me to constantly monitor it. I never understood the idea of a powder cop or anything similar that still required me to monitor it, and the RCBS die works whether I watch it or not.

I would not willingly go to another press that wouldn't allow me this failsafe. IMO, it's the best thing RCBS has produced, and they've produced a lot of great engineering. In fact, I have two lockout dies, one set up for 9mm, one for .45, so I don't have to reset them to switch calibers.

The 550b is a good press. The testimonials make that clear. But it doesn't have what I want.
You don't visually check each case?

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
They have proven problematic on the 550 & frankly, it messes up the whole idea of the 550; a dead bang simple progressive. I agree w/ XdRox, if you must have a case feeder, go LNL, but the manual vs auto indexing is waaaay over blow. I run a 550 & a 650, the two machines w/o case feeder are about the same. I can do 450rds/hr sustained on the 550, the 650, maybe 500. You still have to place the bullet, so you can rotate the shell plate & place the bullet at the same time, or wait for the shell plate to auto rotate & then place the bullet, same amount of time. The case feeder though, on the 650 it works very, very well, the LNL, pretty good.
The price diff between a fully kitted LNL vs a 650 is only about $125. So if I wanted the case feeder, I would pony up & get the 650. The LNL is a good press though, but does have some quirks, the 650 does not, at least I haven't found one. Yes I have loaded quite a bit on a LNL w/ case feeder. Mongoose is correct, the add'l. stn allows a powder COP or lockout die. I don't find that useful for most handgun loads, I use a bulky enough powder to visually verify each charge, but for rifle it's nice. Then again, I reload 308 on my 550 & since you only use two dies, the #3 spot gets a COP die to check the powder drop, you can't see inside the case to see powder in most smaller bore rifle rounds.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A case feeder doesn't mean much to me, I guess I was over playing the need for an auto indexing press also, I'm thinking that the 550 may be a better route considering they (dillon) are so close and if I have an issue I can easily take the part in and have it replaced, the same goes for when i'm being retarded and can't figure out something.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
A case feeder doesn't mean much to me, I guess I was over playing the need for an auto indexing press also, I'm thinking that the 550 may be a better route considering they (dillon) are so close and if I have an issue I can easily take the part in and have it replaced, the same goes for when i'm being retarded and can't figure out something.
Before you make the progressive jump ... Consider this - Don't drink the blue Kool-Aid

·
Registered
265 Posts
Good info on the 550B case feeder. No, I have not used one, and now I know not to bother.

As far as the "don't drink the blue kool-aid" bit... that's pure opinion, and most of the reasons are ridiculous why the guy doesn't want to buy Dillon products. His first complaint is about the Blue Press? And even that complaint is wrong... the production DOES change with each issue... they have different articles and write ups mixed in between the catalog pages. It's not just the same catalog. Why that is a big deal with regards to the reloading machine I have no idea. Same thing for reason #2: Mike Dillon has enough machine guns??? Seriously? You're not going to buy a Dillon reloader because you don't want Mike Dillon to own any more machine guns? How retarded is that? That's like me saying I won't buy a Hornady reloading press, because Steve Hornady has taken enough safari trips to Africa. :rolleyes:

The rest is nit-picking. He doesn't like the style of the powder measure. He thinks it's extremely inconvenient to have to use an allen wrench to loosen a couple of screws to change the powder measure. He doesn't like that there's no indication of the powder charge. It's just opinionated nit-picking. The powder measure WORKS. Usually WAY better than the so-called better competitor measures. There's no indication of powder charge because there doesn't need to be. YOU SHOULD BE MEASURING YOUR POWDER CHARGES, NOT RELYING ON SOME GAUGE ON THE SIDE OF A MEASURE. Being required to measure your powder charge when you set up the measure makes any graduated "indication of powder charge" a moot point, and a possible HAZARD.

The fact remains that while I'm sure the Hornady LnL is a fine press and gets the job done... based on facts, reputation, support, and quality of ammo, my bench will always have a blue progressive mounted on it, regardless of how many machine guns Mike Dillon has, and, I'll sleep well at night knowing I have the best and I don't have to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
You don't visually check each case?
Sure I do. But as I'm sure everyone who's ever handloaded on a progressive can attest, it's easy to lose one's focus. I want the fail-safe of the lockout die. It actually will catch a bad load before I even get a chance to visually check it, but I look in the case anyway when I set the bullet.

Even so, it's not that easy, depending on the powder, to tell whether you have the right amount in the case.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Sure I do. But as I'm sure everyone who's ever handloaded on a progressive can attest, it's easy to lose one's focus. I want the fail-safe of the lockout die. It actually will catch a bad load before I even get a chance to visually check it, but I look in the case anyway when I set the bullet.

Even so, it's not that easy, depending on the powder, to tell whether you have the right amount in the case.
BUT, if you use the correct powder, you can easily verify no charge or double. That is really all the COP or lockout dies do & all I am looking to visually verify. They aren't sensative enough to catch a 0.2gr variation & in a lockout die, I wouldn't want that anyway. It would turn you progressive into a single stage real quick.:cry:

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
BUT, if you use the correct powder, you can easily verify no charge or double. That is really all the COP or lockout dies do & all I am looking to visually verify. They aren't sensative enough to catch a 0.2gr variation & in a lockout die, I wouldn't want that anyway. It would turn you progressive into a single stage real quick.:cry:
That's true, but at its core, reloading is boring. Repetitive, droll, dry, mundane, tedious, in a word, boring.

I find it difficult to prevent my mind from wandering. I do pay as close attention as I can, but I acknowledge that there may be times I'm distracted or unaware.

And who among us can claim they've never daydreamed as they're running rounds through a progressive?

Frankly, I have a hard time reloading for more than 30 minutes in a row. It's BORING. I like it at one level, it is relaxing and satisfying, but from a mental stimulation point of view, it's severely lacking. Usually I'll load a couple hundred primers-worth, and I have to go do something else.

The lockout die is my protection against that. I wouldn't load without it.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
That's true, but at its core, reloading is boring. Repetitive, droll, dry, mundane, tedious, in a word, boring.

I find it difficult to prevent my mind from wandering. I do pay as close attention as I can, but I acknowledge that there may be times I'm distracted or unaware.

And who among us can claim they've never daydreamed as they're running rounds through a progressive?

Frankly, I have a hard time reloading for more than 30 minutes in a row. It's BORING. I like it at one level, it is relaxing and satisfying, but from a mental stimulation point of view, it's severely lacking. Usually I'll load a couple hundred primers-worth, and I have to go do something else.

The lockout die is my protection against that. I wouldn't load without it.
All true, but it does need your complete attention. It is the one thing about the progerssive that is bad, it breeds that type of mind set. "How many rounds can I make in an hour"? One reason guys have accidents. Me personnaly, I rarely reload more than 30min of pulling the handle because it is tedious & does require you pay attention all the time. Still, on a 650, that is an easy 350rds.;)

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
All true, but it does need your complete attention. It is the one thing about the progerssive that is bad, it breeds that type of mind set. "How many rounds can I make in an hour"? One reason guys have accidents. Me personnaly, I rarely reload more than 30min of pulling the handle because it is tedious & does require you pay attention all the time. Still, on a 650, that is an easy 350rds.;)
When I first started, I was all about throughput. Gradually I moved toward quality, not quantity. Still cranking them out, but that throughput has fallen to perhaps 300 rounds per hour.

And that's enough.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have both presses in question. I really prefer the auto-index of the LNL. If you are making small amounts of match ammo, the manual index of the 550 isn't too bad, but I need volume! :twisted:

I am loading 300-400 rounds per week, so in the interest of speed, a case feeder and auto index is where it's at!

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Good info on the 550B case feeder. No, I have not used one, and now I know not to bother.

As far as the "don't drink the blue kool-aid" bit... that's pure opinion, and most of the reasons are ridiculous why the guy doesn't want to buy Dillon products. His first complaint is about the Blue Press? And even that complaint is wrong... the production DOES change with each issue... they have different articles and write ups mixed in between the catalog pages. It's not just the same catalog. Why that is a big deal with regards to the reloading machine I have no idea. Same thing for reason #2: Mike Dillon has enough machine guns??? Seriously? You're not going to buy a Dillon reloader because you don't want Mike Dillon to own any more machine guns? How retarded is that? That's like me saying I won't buy a Hornady reloading press, because Steve Hornady has taken enough safari trips to Africa. :rolleyes:

The rest is nit-picking. He doesn't like the style of the powder measure. He thinks it's extremely inconvenient to have to use an allen wrench to loosen a couple of screws to change the powder measure. He doesn't like that there's no indication of the powder charge. It's just opinionated nit-picking. The powder measure WORKS. Usually WAY better than the so-called better competitor measures. There's no indication of powder charge because there doesn't need to be. YOU SHOULD BE MEASURING YOUR POWDER CHARGES, NOT RELYING ON SOME GAUGE ON THE SIDE OF A MEASURE. Being required to measure your powder charge when you set up the measure makes any graduated "indication of powder charge" a moot point, and a possible HAZARD.

The fact remains that while I'm sure the Hornady LnL is a fine press and gets the job done... based on facts, reputation, support, and quality of ammo, my bench will always have a blue progressive mounted on it, regardless of how many machine guns Mike Dillon has, and, I'll sleep well at night knowing I have the best and I don't have to worry about it.
It's another option, and many are happy with red ... What flavor is blue :p

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
1 - 20 of 34 Posts