Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
For zombies I like to use FMJ's. Cheap.

Against a person at close range (less than 100 yards) in a 1X9 barrel, I would use 50-55 grain SP.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Heavier is better unless you can do a 55 grain out of a 1/14 twist (highly destructive and anything will stop it so you don't kill your neighbors) I'd go heavier and the more frangible the better so it doesn't go through walls with as much mass and energy. So no FMJs if possible.

Unless you might be fighting cops, then FMJs obviously.

·
Registered
6,686 Posts
I keep my AR's mags loaded with fmjs. Keep AR in safe. Can't imagine an s.d. scenario where I'd have my AR handy, anyhow. Much prefer my daily carry G26 in my house.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
If I had to shoot an AR in self defense in an area littered with buildings and lots of people I would probably make available another alternative to use before the AR due to over-penetration, but if I have no other choice, jhp. I definitely practice clearing rooms every time I get a hold of an M16 on base though :p

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Over penetration of the 5.56 is over stated in most cases according to numerous tests conducted. In fact the 5.56 has less wounding potential after passing though one wall than all the common handgun calibers. This is not saying that it's not deadly after going though a wall but that the heavier pistol rounds will actually cause more damage to what ever they hit compared to the light weight .223 bullets.

If you can keep the velocity of the .223/5.56 FMJ over 2800FPS you are good to go with FMJ as over that velocity it pretty reliably fragments especially the 55grn M193 spec stuff.

One of the more popular choices in the HP/SP area is the 64grn Winchester power point which is made for light deer but seems to work good in testing. Winchester even makes a "Ranger" loading with longer scoring down the jacket for more reliable expansion. IIRC the CHP uses it.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
I keep a mag of Hornady TAP ammo on...tap. Don't really know why though. My HD gun is a 12 Ga and my SHTF gun is a converted Saiga with mags and mags full of cheap, deep-penetrating FMJs. If I'm going to that gun, I'm in a situation where I'm no longer worried about overpenetration.

·
Registered
582 Posts

I also have Hornady TAP in the rifle right now. I've heard from several articles/people that their TAP line of rifle rounds are significantly less prone to over-penetration, the powder is "low-flash" which could be useful in nighttime situations, and the cartridge design itself could improve reliability
Gunsandammomag.com said:
In the rifle and pistol ammunition, there's a highly noticeable feature that improves functional reliability to a marked degree. Hornady developed a special black nickel plating for use on all of the metallic cartridges in the TAP FPD line. It's different in appearance--sort of a shiny black color--but the real reason for using it is a greater smoothness. You can actually feel the difference when you compare it to conventional ammunition.

More smoothness simply means greater reliability. As much time as instructors spend teaching their students to clear malfunctions under stress, they would really prefer to have no malfunctions in the first place. This plating helps. It also means instant identification of your fighting ammo.
Whether this stuff is actually better than the average hollowpoint or softpoint for personal defense, I don't know.

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
I use M855 FMJ rounds only because the military designs these rounds to yaw and fragment when dramatically slowed in soft flesh due to its high velocity and overall design.

Find yourself some M855 or XM193.. Both are good. TAP is just TOO expensive.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
Do some checking into M855. The SS109 Bullet in it was designed by FN for the SAW initially and the military found out it could penetrate kevlar helmets and armor at longer ranges better than the M193 spec 55grn round could.

For terminal performance against softer targets with no or soft armor the 55grn M193 is a better choice if you want yaw and fragmenting as it's velocities are higher and it will be faster at a given distance than the M855 especially out of the shorter barrels of the 16 and 14.5 inch ARs out there.

I also believe that the Military went to the M855 across the board for all 5.56mm small arms to simplify the supply chain along with the armor penetrating abilites of the bullet. But how many folks are we shooting at now days that are packing high speed body armor?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts