Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know S&W makes an AR in this caliber but does anyone know if this is available as an upper? I read that this caliber is harder hitting than 5.56 and the price of surplus makes it attractive. I also read that there are no reloading components available.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
I read that this caliber is harder hitting than 5.56 and the price of surplus makes it attractive.
What surplus there is, is here now.

The USSR has dissolved and most of the countries that used the AK74 have transitioned to 5.56x45 or back to 7.62x39 for their service rifles.

Something to consider before you plunk down cash for an upper in that caliber.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
on the same forum I read about the quality of the round, the author said he thought that since S&W had put out the rifle that American ammo manufacturers might step as they did w/7.62X39.
be that as it may I think I'll dust off the 223 dies and get busy.
agsin thank you very much for the insight since i'm apparently short sighted!

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
There are a lot of AK74 owners out there and with Smith making a complete rifle, the MP15R and the avail upper only along with uppers in 5.45 made by other manufactures it's only a matter of time for US ammo manufactures to begin producing the round. Add the fact that the run on guns has driven up the number of 5.45 rifles in the hands of shooters helps to push demand up for the round and ammo makers know this. With enough demand do you really think that one or several of the big ammo companies is going to ignore demand and the ability to make more money by offering the round? Another fact to consider is (and I would bet money on this) Smith & Wesson is sharing sales figures to the big ammo makers showing how many of their 5.45 rifles have been manufactured and sold. It's even possible that Smith was in talks with the ammo manufactures prior to the rifle being on the market basically saying...."hey..were going to be making an AR in this caliber....there's going to be a market now for US manufactured 5.45 because as you know...AR shooters can be picking about what ammo they shoot out of their ARs". I'd almost venture to guess that companies like Savage will begin producing a bolt rifle in 5.45 in the very near future as well.

To summarize, I don't think this caliber will fade into obscurity with the number of rifles is the hands of American shooters.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I went out to breakfast w/my girls after puting(sp?) this thing to bed; now i'm all ficked up again!

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
does anyone have any experience w/this round they'd like to share, since it looks like I'll be ordering one?

·
Registered
144 Posts
The truly inexepensive ammo is corrosive -the AR is not the best platform for trying to clean out corrosive material. If you stick to good ammo, it would be a fun gun to have. Personally I'd stick to an AK in this chambering.

·
Premium Member
4,402 Posts
Sportsman's Guide is selling 5.45 non corrosive right now for 40 for 300 rounds, something like 75 for 600 and 1080 rounf tins for 137.00.

I have have the M&P 15R is this caliber and shoot often with the non corrosive ammo while my .223s and 7.62s are left behind in the safe more and more because ammo costs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts