Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, here's my take on the new XDM 5.25. So you know up front, I was not to thrilled about it when it was first announced. I had been looking for a 9mm to shoot IDPA with and had debated getting a XDM 4.5, XD Tactical or a Glock of some sort. I carry a XDMC 40 and I've been shooting the XDM 4.5 40 in IDPA so far. I wanted to stick with something similar to what I carry but I wanted to go with the 9mm. Then the 5.25 is announced.

At first I did not think I would be able to shoot the 5.25 in IDPA as it has cutout in the slide to save weight. In the IDPA rule book I noticed that it specifically forbids slide lightening so I assumed that the 5.25 would not be legal in IDPA competition. Not so fast. The rule book specifically states the Glock 34 is legal (and has a factory lightened slide), I guess that makes it okay then?

So I figured "what the heck" and went ahead and picked one up from Kyle's Gunshop. Once again, the customer service was outstanding and I got a good deal.

Unfortunately I had to wait a week to shoot it, but I finally took it out to the range today. Bottom line, it will do what I purchased it to do but I'm no where near as thrilled about it as I was the XDMC. The only thing I can identify as special on it is the factory fiber optic front sight, it could not be easier to find the front sight on this pistol. I was also happy about the recoil (or lack thereof) and follow up shots are very quick to line up. Main disappointment: the trigger is the regular XDM trigger, not a competition trigger. I'll probably fixing that at some point over the next year, but it's not at the top of my to do list right now.

Do I like the pistol? Yes. Will it perform well (with a cooperating operator) at competitions? Yes. Am I thrilled about it? Not really. Maybe it's because this is my third XDM or maybe it's because I expect a little more out of Springfield, but I'm just not as gung ho about this weapon as I was with my other XDMs. Maybe with time I'll become a little more pleased with it, but we'll just have to see how that turns out.

Apologies for the lack of pics, the range I was shooting at does not allow photography. On top of that, it's 2 AM and I might have rambled a bit so if you're annoyed with my post, hit that "back" button at the top left corner of your screen ;)

Take care and good shooting,
Brad

·
Registered
485 Posts
I am looking at picking this gun up myself but am worried that I will find that I feel the same way you do. The reason I think I will feel this way is because of a G34 purchase I made. I had high hopes for the G34 practical tactical because of all the good things I was hearing about the extra length in the barrel and the extended sight radius and better accuracy. So I buy the gun and take it to the range all excited to see how much more accurate this gun is going to be than my other guns because that is what I read on the web. Low and behold it is no more accurate than any of my other guns. In fact it is less accurate than my sub compact G26 which I will never get rid of by the way because I can't find a more accurate gun for me than this one. The only XD I have is an XD45 with PRP ultimate trigger and I still out shoot it with the G26. I do like to buy and try out new guns all the time and the 5.25 near the top of my list with a HK45C and FNP45. I just got a FNP9 a few weeks ago and shot it once and was very impressed. I like striker fired guns so I wasn't expecting much from the FNP so I went to the range with just the FNP and 1 box of ammo. I fired the first magazine and HOLY CRAP I shot it as well as the G26. I did not bring the G26 for a shootout between the two guns because this was just supposed to be a function test for the FNP before I carry it. Sorry I got off topic here for a moment. Anyhow I will have to do a lot more research or actualy fire a 5.25 before I lay down the green backs to get one.

A good video on youtube that explains one mans opinion on accuracy and I find to be true seing that I shoot all hand guns about the same no mater their size or calliber is by HICKOK45. Look him up and watch his videos (he has many) they are very entertaining and informative.

·
Registered
82 Posts
The only thing I can identify as special on it is the factory fiber optic front sight, it could not be easier to find the front sight on this pistol. I was also happy about the recoil (or lack thereof) and follow up shots are very quick to line up. Main disappointment: the trigger is the regular XDM trigger, not a competition trigger. I'll probably fixing that at some point over the next year, but it's not at the top of my to do list right now.
It sounds to me like you do like it, you just don't know it yet!

Being new to shooting, wouldn't the trigger be something you could possibly never please everyone with? Could they have assumed no matter what they did, it would get redone whereas they could make people happy with what you seem to be happy with?

Although I was hoping for a SStack, and was quickly discouraged by the 5.25. Since then, I have been thinking of trying some competition shooting and the three underlined items would appeal most to me, that and I have only owned my XDm :)

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Here is my thought on guns for competition. You want to go with a gun that will give you the best chance of winning, with all of the mods that will increase your chance of winning, while within the rules of the game. Many will say that is it the (no disrespect towards of Native American brethren) Indian and not the bow or arrow that makes a great hunter. Well, I can tell you that a XD or XDm with better sights and a trigger job will make an average shooter place better in matches. The better you can see the sights and the lesser muzzle movement equals better hits.

To me, the XDM 5.25 is your best setup for IDPA today and Springer Precision is offering some sweet deals on the 5.25 model at this time.

OS

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I don't take back anything I said previously, but my 5.25 performed well today at an IDPA shoot. It'll probably grow on me as time goes by but bottom line, it does what I bought it to do. We only shot 3 stages and I was please with my performance on the first 2. The third one stage went all right but that was due to operator headspace. Any way. I do recommend it, and it you buy one, try Kyle's gunshop.

Take care and good shooting
Brad

·
Premium Member
127,140 Posts
Here is my thought on guns for competition. You want to go with a gun ...

that you carry.

Although I have a "tricked out" XD9 Tactical that was set up for IDPA, lately I have been competing with my XD45 Service (CDP) and my XD9SC (ESP) since those are the guns that I carry. I think is important to train with what you carry on a daily basis. Do I win all my matches? Not quite, but I feel I am getting more benefit from the experience than most of my fellow shooters.

·
Registered
839 Posts
Consider me another that simply does not get the 5.25. So far, I have shot the 3.8, my own 4.5 and my friend's 5.25. He picked it up two weeks ago and I had time to run some rounds through it last week.

Funny enough, I couldn't care less about the rear sights...for some reason the fact that they are adjustable does not do a thing for me. At <25yds I never have the need for fully adjustable rear sights on a pistol...at least not yet.

The weight is good but it feels exactly like my 4.5...the balance is the same...but the extra barrel again doesn't do anything for me. I don't see the need for it over the 4.5.

The only thing I really like about it is the front sight but I can simply buy one of those for my 4.5. The trigger is 100% the same and out of the box...its pretty lame. After 2000+ rounds my XDm has smoothed out a bit but it is in no way great (I plan to replace it soon).

I guess I just don't get it. I know little of competition shooting so possibly the barrel length is crucial but for $749...I'd rather just pay the $599 you can get a 4.5 for and mod it.

One last thing...I actually like the 3.8 the best in terms of balance. For some reason it feels more balanced in my hands.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts