Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a glock 34, I'm a previous XDS owner and love springfields. I picked the 34 up since I get the LE discount. I am having issues with either the angle of the grip or grip size. I tried searching the nets but can't find if the grip of the xdm 5.25 is as thick as the glock 34. I have to move my right hand to engage the magazine release(already have the extended)

I'm asking because I have a guy who has a same condition XDM 5.25 and we are looking at straight swapping. I only have $535 into my G34 with the discount. Problem is I won't have the time to fondle a XDM 5.25 and we both have to drive an hour to meet. He's been my only bite since I posted a trade about 8 weeks ago on the armslist and local gun forums. I know that springfield will honor the warranty even though i'm second owner(don't think he registered it). Basically, is there a big thickness difference between the two? Would you trade if you had the chance?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would trade. The backstrap on the XDM can be swapped out changing the grip size. I also prefer the grip angle and trigger of the XDM over the Glock.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
gen 4 glocks have backstraps. Without a backstrap the grip just feels to awkward/big. I think i'm going to trade. Glocks are the thing around here and springfields don't sell as well but don't plan on dumping it once i get it.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have shot both. The glock shot fine but I prefer my Springer. Reason being is that it feels less plastic while shooting. When I shot the glock it felt cheap. Then again it shot fine so it's probably just me

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I carry a Sig P938. When I go to the range and I shoot the sig first then pick up the glock...the only way to describe it is "it feels ghetto." It doesn't feel like a gun at all...but then I hit on target. Only thing that concerns me is that I have to adjust my grip to release the magazine. This is my first full size handgun so I don't know if that's a semi normal thing.

well I'm going to trade. watching videos it seems im not the only one that has trouble with the magazine release. I have a feeling i'll have an easier time with the XDM's release and nicer grip angle.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I have a glock 34, I'm a previous XDS owner and love springfields. I picked the 34 up since I get the LE discount. I am having issues with either the angle of the grip or grip size. I tried searching the nets but can't find if the grip of the xdm 5.25 is as thick as the glock 34. I have to move my right hand to engage the magazine release(already have the extended)

I'm asking because I have a guy who has a same condition XDM 5.25 and we are looking at straight swapping. I only have $535 into my G34 with the discount. Problem is I won't have the time to fondle a XDM 5.25 and we both have to drive an hour to meet. He's been my only bite since I posted a trade about 8 weeks ago on the armslist and local gun forums. I know that springfield will honor the warranty even though i'm second owner(don't think he registered it). Basically, is there a big thickness difference between the two? Would you trade if you had the chance?
They are the same thickness, but the XDM is more rounded so it feels less bulky. Plus you can change the back straps, as mentioned above.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm tossed. I might just hold on to it. I got burned pretty hard on a Sig P938 that I bought used so buying used really has me on the fritz. I shoot the gun well I just have to change these awful sites out. I really think I might just shoot ESP instead of SSP and have fun. The 34's duty is strictly IDPA/fun. Never thought i'd pass a springfield for a glock..guess all the glock love finally got to me.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts

Trade ya a mp 4.25 IMO better gun than the xdm. 3 mags mag pouch and vg2

I like Glock once you take the finger grooves off. BTW what's your hand size?

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
236 Posts
See if the guy with the 5.25 will either borrow it to you for a IDPA match or come and shoot a club match using each others gun....

He may decide at the end that he want to keep the 5.25 but you will both know what worked or didn't work for you.

Also ask around at your IDPA club if anyone has a XDM they could barrow you for a match. I have done this for a couple people.

·
Premium Member
17,523 Posts
The XDM trigger will require a PRP kit to make it acceptable.
Stock XD triggers are full of spongy slop.

I've sold 5 XD pistols and now have 8 Glocks...

If you shoot the Glock well, I'd keep it.....:mrgreen:
This is my first full size handgun so I don't know if that's a semi normal thing.
I'd give it more time..
The Glock grip angle is easily adaptable with practice...

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm more appealed to the Glock side because a Glock 19 is 440 OTD as well as the 26. The P938 will never get replaced as my summer carry but I might fit a 26 or a 30S into the mix. The availability of parts, magazines between models, and obviously the cheap LE price makes it hard to not try. He lives in N. Alabama and we were going to meet so no chance to shoot. Alabama Holster had a XDM 4.5 in there so I'll hold it when I go pickup a holster. The big thing that kills me on the glock is man the sights blow..

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I'm more appealed to the Glock side because a Glock 19 is 440 OTD as well as the 26. The P938 will never get replaced as my summer carry but I might fit a 26 or a 30S into the mix. The availability of parts, magazines between models, and obviously the cheap LE price makes it hard to not try. He lives in N. Alabama and we were going to meet so no chance to shoot. Alabama Holster had a XDM 4.5 in there so I'll hold it when I go pickup a holster. The big thing that kills me on the glock is man the sights blow..
No comment on whether or note to trade, it's how they feel to you. Both good guns.

But the Glock sights are easy to change. I put a set of these in my G30S

XS 24/7 Express Night Sight Set Glock 17 19 22 23 24 26 27 31 32 33 34

They send you all you need to make the change, a pusher and a tool for the front sight, in the kit. They are super fast to pick up, tritium night sights, and are vastly better than the Glock sights.

I went with the small dot on my Glock, I use the big dot on my SP101. I've had real good luck with XS sights.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
held the XDM. It honestly felt worse than the glock. I remember the first time holding the glock I thought that it didn't feel as bad as the glock haters talked about. I do feel like i'm going to trade since I told him that we could trade and I like to keep my word.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
That's kinda silly. BUT you can always get another with the blue line discount!

I'd like to have a 34 in the future. It's on the list. I think a 41 will be next though.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
held the XDM. It honestly felt worse than the glock. I remember the first time holding the glock I thought that it didn't feel as bad as the glock haters talked about. I do feel like i'm going to trade since I told him that we could trade and I like to keep my word.
If the guns worthless to you why bother. Sent you a pm about the mp totally serious call me

Safety is a momentary choice. Prior performance and certification are completely irrelevant.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Me - I tried the Glock and XDM 5.25 at my LGS, 50 rounds each. The Glock just did not work for me but the 5.25 was a dream. I did add the PRP trigger later but the sights are fine. Yes you have to move your grip for the mag release if using right thumb (but XDM allows for right finger release from the other side) but that is true for me on any semi-auto. YMMV

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I like the XD better in every way except the trigger. If I ever get another XD it'll require a trigger job and I've never owned/kept a gun that needed a trigger modification. If it needs a trigger job for me to enjoy it, I won't likely keep it.

·
Registered
804 Posts
So you don't really like the Glock and the XDm is even worse after holding one. It's time to open up your search pattern to other platforms. Your "word" about trading isn't really an issue. Tell the XDm owner (before he makes the trip) that you have held the Springer and it's not what you hoped. You had never handled one and now you know. Well, maybe. Handling a gun in a gun store and actually shooting it can be two, different experiences.

You also talk about shooting the Glock well except for the sights. Maybe swap those out and you'll be good to go? Otherwise, keep looking.

There is no replacement for actually trying a gun before you buy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts