Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a 47D the other day for my new Ruger SR1911. If you insert a full magazine (8 rounds) on an open slide, there's no problem. But if you insert a full magazine into a weapon that's in battery (closed slide), the magazine will not fully seat. Neither my 7 or 8-round Ruger factory magazines have this problem.

Wilson Combat advertises their magazines as "legendary." I found them not to be so. In fact, I find them useless if they won't even lock into place and a waste of $34.

Anyone else have this issue? Is this common to the 47D?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Does it seat if you only load it to 7 or if there are no rounds loaded? Some folks have issues when the mag springs are new but are fine when the springs wear a little so sometimes you have to slap it in there when the mags are new.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
It'll work just fine, that black plastic thing on the bottom is a slam pad. Smack that thing home with the heel of your hand. Mine work great in all my 1911's

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Does it seat if you only load it to 7 or if there are no rounds loaded? Some folks have issues when the mag springs are new but are fine when the springs wear a little so sometimes you have to slap it in there when the mags are new.
Yes, it seats if I have 7 or less rounds in the mag. It only won't seat if I have the full 8 rounds in the mag.

It'll work just fine, that black plastic thing on the bottom is a slam pad. Smack that thing home with the heel of your hand. Mine work great in all my 1911's
No amount of force will get that thing to lock in. Trust me, I've tried.

And before anyone asks ... no, it's not an ammo problem. I've tried three different brands of ammo and none made a difference.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I've got 5 wilson mags I'm not sure I want to use. They were breaking my ejectors.

I've also had the won't lock in with a full mag issue.

They size their mags specific to Springfield and Colt.

·
Registered
942 Posts
sell it and try some other brand mags.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Looks like the 47D just isn't good in the SR1911. I've read in other forums of this problem, as well. What a waste....

·
Registered
588 Posts
I have been using Wilson's for 30 years with zero problems. I just tried a loaded 8 rounder in three different 1911s with the slides in battery, and it locked up in all three.

And you paid too much.

CX

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have been using Wilson's for 30 years with zero problems. I just tried a loaded 8 rounder in three different 1911s with the slides in battery, and it locked up in all three.

And you paid too much.

CX
Yeah ... retail price. Never again. Weird. Maybe I got a weird one. Who knows. Maybe it will work after a while, once it's not so new.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Yeah ... retail price. Never again. Weird. Maybe I got a weird one. Who knows. Maybe it will work after a while, once it's not so new.
Send me a PM if you want to dump it. Like Charley, I bought my first 47 almost 25 years ago.

I've got 5 wilson mags I'm not sure I want to use. They were breaking my ejectors.
Sounds like the wrong mag or the wrong baseplate. The front edge of the baseplate is supposed to hit the frame and prevent the mag from going too deep into the magwell. If the mag is hitting your ejector then it's definitely going up too high. Easy to check if you remove the slide.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Wilson Combat advertises their magazines as "legendary." I found them not to be so. In fact, I find them useless if they won't even lock into place and a waste of $34.
They got their "legendary" status from the thousands of users that have them and run them flawlessly.

I find it odd that you are so quick to jump to a conclusion that the best regarded magazine (hard to dispute it, just search) is crap because it doesn't work correctly in your one and only 1911, which happens to be one of the first batch made by a company that has never made a 1911 before.

I would think it is entirely more likely that your mag and or gun are slightly out of spec that it doesn't play nice. To say that all 47D's are crap because of your limited exposure is a little premature IMHO

·
Registered
968 Posts
They got their "legendary" status from the thousands of users that have them and run them flawlessly.

I find it odd that you are so quick to jump to a conclusion that the best regarded magazine (hard to dispute it, just search) is crap because it doesn't work correctly in your one and only 1911, which happens to be one of the first batch made by a company that has never made a 1911 before.

I would think it is entirely more likely that your mag and or gun are slightly out of spec that it doesn't play nice. To say that all 47D's are crap because of your limited exposure is a little premature IMHO
Better do some research. Ruger has been making 1911 castings for numerous companies for many years.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

All I know is I bought the magazine and it doesn't work. I searched this problem in other forums and I found a few other people who have had the exact same problem with other 1911s. So it is not exclusive to the Ruger. I would say it's not a common problem, but it does exist.

I'm of the mindset that the best magazines for a pistol are factory magazines because they were designed specifically for that gun and tested extensively in that gun.

I am sure the Wilson mags work great in Wilson guns and most other 1911s. But 1911s can have slight variances and I seem to have run into one. No big deal.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
I disagree as the Kimber factory mags blow lol.

·
Registered
778 Posts
Better do some research. Ruger has been making 1911 castings for numerous companies for many years.
Castings are one thing, finished guns are another. If you want to be picky about it, The SR1911 is the first complete 1911 that Ruger has produced.

To say that because they have been casting slides for some time equates to long history of making an entire 1911 down to fit, finish and reliable operation is not accurate.

I'm not trying to start a war over "X" brand vs "Y" just that any mfg venturing into a new market typically has a few bumps in the road before perfecting the product.

Regardless, yes not all after market parts play well with all manufacturers guns. I would suggest trying another 47D to see if it is a design issue that prevents operation in your SR1911, or if you got a dud from the factory.

·
Registered
911 Posts
Castings are one thing, finished guns are another.
Not really. Would they still be in use if everything they ever made was out of spec?

I find it odd that you are so quick to jump to a conclusion that the best regarded magazine is crap because it doesn't work correctly in your one and only 1911
If its his only 1911 and a 47d wont work in his gun it doesn't really matter how many other people use them. Calling the whole product line garbage isn't necessarily accurate. But he is experiencing an issue that is not "rare" with these mags so he should move on to something else.

He wanted to relate his experience, and it has been noted. And while I understand it could be an issue for me one day, it would not hesitate to use them if needed. But if I were ever to buy a SR1911 the 47d would for sure move to the bottom of the list of mag choices for me.

His experience may allow others to save money and make better informed decisions for their own purchases. Nothing wrong with that if you ask me.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I own probably 6 47Ds for my 4 1911s.

They work 100% in all guns....two older Colts, a Springer GI and the Kimber TLE II.

The only mags I have had trouble with were some no name gunshow cheapies and a very worn out Colt mag that came with my 1973 Combat Commander.

Try a McCormick mag instead.

It bothers me that they don't work in a Ruger...because I was planning on buying one. I might re-think it and go back to my original intention of buying a Series 70 re-make Colt.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
778 Posts
Not really. Would they still be in use if everything they ever made was out of spec?

#1 I never said that everything that Ruger, more precisely Pine Tree Castings, made was out of spec. I simply questioned if the OP's gun may slightly our of spec.

#2 Many times castings get machined by their respective buyer, to that buyers specs. You don't cast the part and then slap it on the frame with no further work.

#3 I never said this problem was caused by the slide. maybe the extractor was fitted slightly out of spec or some other part. I simply said that Ruger is new to the production of complete 1911's.

I am not a Ruger hater by any means, they make some great guns, but you guys are all refusing to admit that it could have a slightly out of spec part. Why is it so hard to believe that a piece of machinery (gun) could have a slight defect that prevents a 3rd party part (magazine) from working properly?

it could be the mag, could be the gun. I am just saying that based on the limited sample size used for the OP's evaluation (1 mag, and 1 gun) it is tough to say anything for certain.

·
Registered
821 Posts
I would suggest that you try out the CMC magazines. I have a number of 47D's and one 1911 (Springfield Loaded) that they will not lock the slide back on consistently. I also get occasional feed issues with them in that pistol. CMC's have worked for me in every pistol.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If the SR1911 does not work with 47D mags....that might be a deal-killer for those of us that have tons of 47D mags, already.

Sad...but I was looking forward to a Ruger 1911, but if they are no go with 6 mags i already own and work perfectly with the other 1911s I own....no Ruger 1911 for me, sorry.

- brickboy240

1 - 20 of 27 Posts