Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can i cut the spring to lighted up the magazine so i can load it easier?? will it still work?? what can i use for an easier loader?? i was at the range this weekend with my new xd in 45gap and cut my thumb open trying to load the magazine.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
To make sure that it feeds right? Or maybe so you can go longer before the spring wears out. If you're having that hard a time loading the mag, maybe you could try a mag speedloader like Old School sells. I've heard they're worth the money.

·
Registered
93 Posts
BTW, that mag *IS* hella tight. When I load 9 rounds on a closed slide, the mag is so tight that it can't be released with one hand. I have to use both hands to really punch in the mag release before the mag will budge. when it does budge, it comes flying out!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i have the same problem with my mags being tight. my mag release isnt quite that bad i can use my thumb and it comes flying out but it sure is tight. anyone know why????

·
Registered
93 Posts
Because a certain spring poundage is required to reliably feed the last round, and 9 is the number of .45 GAP cartridges that fit in a 9mm double stack magazine. The two values have no relationship to each other designwise, so you're stuck with what you get from an engineering standpoint. My guess is you could get a reduced 9mm or .40 spring from Wolff and it would work ok, but it might also cause problems. Better just to buy a magloader, and leave them loaded for a little while.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
after contemplating cutting the springs or not. i went ahead and cut them and i have had no problems what so ever with the gun feeding or jamming. the mag is easier to load and i dont run the risk of cutting off my finger with that piece that sticks up.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts