Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I know it's been asked before, but after searching and searching the forums, I thought I'd start a new topic on it since I need more specifics.

I'm looking to cc and have the option of purchasing an XD9sc or chopping my 45 service. If I choose to chop and go 45c, I'd have the extra cash for upgrades. I would imagine the 9sc to be shorter in height than a 45c thus, being easier to conceal, however I have not personally compared both side-by-side. Also, I'm 5'5 and would like to hear any personal experiences from those who are my height (or shorter :D.)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
.. at that height, I'd say you will want to get the XD9-SC. I'm 5'10", so I'm not that short, but I'm probably going to get the XD9-SC to carry.

·
Registered
815 Posts
i have a xd9sc and its an amazing weapon. very ez to conceal and very accurate for a subcomact! but form what ive heard the 45c isnt much harder to conceal and the shorter barrel of the sc offers no improvement in concealability. that said its really just ur preference. if u want a new gun go with the subby. if u want to save money chop it. with the election and prices on the rise id say buy as many guns as u can right now. i know nothing will probly happen but u cna never be to sure. plus u cant have too many guns.!

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...form what ive heard the 45c isnt much harder to conceal and the shorter barrel of the sc offers no improvement in concealability. that said its really just ur preference.
I'd very much prefer to carry the 45 instead of the 9, simply because it's what I mainly practice with. But, does anyone know the difference in height (top of slide to the bottom of the grip) of the 45c and 9sc?

Btw,
Never have too many guns? You can't be wrong there!

·
Registered
272 Posts
.45c is about a quarter inch longer than the subcompact

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
When it comes to concealing they both conceal well, but I would give the edge to the 9sc (my EDC). Also, there is a noticeable difference between carrying a loaded .45c and a loaded 9sc. The 9 is a lot lighter after a day on your hip. This is, of course, an individual thing. Some folks won't be concerned with the weight while others will.

Just another piece of the puzzel to keep in mind.

·
Premium Member
127,095 Posts
I carry the XD9SC, but I certainly wouldn't speak against the XD45 Compact. It's a matter of personal preference.

·
Premium Member
5,365 Posts
I carry the .45 Compact everyday, I usually wear a tee shirt and shorts. I wear it in a generic IWB holster. I do not wear a shirt that is two sizes two big. I am a medium and wear either a med or large shirt. I wear it on my right side of my hip. It does not print, would you prefer to have to power of a .45 or that of a 9 mm? Which if someone is high may make them laugh at you when you shoot them, I figure it like this, I have 10+1 ten for them and the last for me if they are still coming, to shoot myself so they don't have the joy of killing me. I don't figure that will ever happen. The only other thing I would consider is if you are going to shoot this a lot? The price of .45 is higher that the 9 mm. However I prefer the .45 ACP for knock down power.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
Thou I am not a 9mm fan, I would say 9 for your body size, may be easier to conceal.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I have the XD 9sc and carry with the 16+1 clip. I use a Blackhawk nylon IWB holster and wear what I want. The clip is loaded with Speer Gold Dots and I have no confidence problems with my choice of protection. Even with the larger clip, I don't have a weight problem, it's just a matter of getting used to the feeling of the firearm and placing it on your waist and finding the right spot.

JMHO...

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I carry the .45 Compact everyday, I usually wear a tee shirt and shorts. I wear it in a generic IWB holster. I do not wear a shirt that is two sizes two big. I am a medium and wear either a med or large shirt. I wear it on my right side of my hip. It does not print, would you prefer to have to power of a .45 or that of a 9 mm? Which if someone is high may make them laugh at you when you shoot them, I figure it like this, I have 10+1 ten for them and the last for me if they are still coming, to shoot myself so they don't have the joy of killing me. I don't figure that will ever happen. The only other thing I would consider is if you are going to shoot this a lot? The price of .45 is higher that the 9 mm. However I prefer the .45 ACP for knock down power.
... O rly? Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement. I can't say it enough. :shock:

·
Premium Member
4,843 Posts
I have both, the 9 definitely conceals easier, but not by much. The 45 is a 45 though. I decide on what I am wearing that day. The barrel length also makes a slight difference. Id say the majority of the time I carry the 9 and leave the 45 in the nightstand with my tac lite attached. You cant go wrong either way.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Thumper, I understand shot placement, however around here, with all the gangs, you need more fire power to stop the threat. I keep a second 16 round clip with Gold Dots as well. I practice clip change as much as I can in the range. It is different when the action slides back and locks instead of just dropping your empty clip on the bed and putting a new one in.

Training is the key, you can't wait until you are in a confrontation and then think you can change a clip or side step at a 45 degree angle if you have trained for it.

I'm going to a training class tonight, the class is hostage encounter, carjacking drills and shoot no shoot drills. 30 minutes of intense training with little to no reloading time and distractions to stress your senses.

·
Premium Member
3,470 Posts
Chop the 45. The XD45C is very easy to conceal.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I'm 5'6", and carry my 45 compact everyday under just a t-shirt. The difference in grip length between the Subcompact and the 45 compact is 1/4". I recommend the 45 compact. You won't regret it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah, thanks for all the replies, but I would still like a 9sc. I'm leaning towards chopping the service and still getting a 9sc. Can't go wrong there, wouldn't you all agree? :-D

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a XD9sc and it is a great CCW pistol. If Springfield made a 4 inch barrel sub-compact I think it would be superior to a three inch barrel. Therefore If you like the .45 caliber better it would be the 45c for me. I think the shorter grip and longer 4 inch barrel make an outstanding pistol. If 9-mm is a better round for you to shoot then consider the XD9sc. I have one and it is very accurate and points naturally. I also have an XD service model and have considered having a chop done on the grip. The XD is a great pistol. This is a very interesting subject. Sorry I tend to wander.

-- Richard

1 - 20 of 46 Posts