Springfield XD Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wonderign what everyones thoughts are for using a 45 ACP+P Corbon JHP for deer hunting within 25 yards. Its comming out of a XD Tactical with a storm lake 5.75 ported barrel. The reason I as is my dad is disabled and short on cash and cant afford to get a new pistol. However I have this pistol thats within guide lines for hunting and isnt to powerful where he cant handle it. Just wanted some input on using this for a deer gun for 25 yards or closer. He is very accurate with it already at 25 so I know he is capable of hitting the target Im just worried about the round itself..

Jeremy

·
Registered
111 Posts
I've taken deer with my 45 tac shooting gold dot ammo. The range I'm guessing was about 20 yd.it didn't go anywhere but down. The ammo is whatever you want to use except hardball and as far as range goes (in my eye) if I can see it I can kill it with a good shot.

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
Just wonderign what everyones thoughts are for using a 45 ACP+P Corbon JHP for deer hunting within 25 yards. Its comming out of a XD Tactical with a storm lake 5.75 ported barrel. The reason I as is my dad is disabled and short on cash and cant afford to get a new pistol. However I have this pistol thats within guide lines for hunting and isnt to powerful where he cant handle it. Just wanted some input on using this for a deer gun for 25 yards or closer. He is very accurate with it already at 25 so I know he is capable of hitting the target Im just worried about the round itself..

Jeremy
Check your state regulations as to legal handgun calibers; .45acp would not have been legal here in MN a couple of years ago, but is now...I don't know what WI's regs are.

As for the round...well, I don't know what weight, etc round you are referring to; but a friend of mine put two does down this fall with a Glock 21 and a hot-loaded Hornady 230gr XTP. Range was about 50 feet, so the caliber is capable.

·
Premium Member
7,895 Posts
Solids are normally the preferred bullet type when hunting. Penetration is EVERYTHING.

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
Solids are normally the preferred bullet type when hunting. Penetration is EVERYTHING.
Agianst heavy-skinned, dangerous game, I agree.

Against soft-skinned game such as deer, a JHP round that shows good expansion capabilites, as well as solid penetration (such as the DPX or XTP) will do just fine, assuming proper placement.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Just jump to 45Super for the low count of hunting rounds you will probably shoot. Either JHP or HP depending on your state laws. The XD Service and Tactical can both handle a reasonable amount of 45Super without any damage. If you have the tactical, a jump of 2 lb on the recoil spring would be advantageous but not required.

·
Registered
25 Posts
As long as you do your part the 45 is more than capable. I shot a deer a few year's ago with mine it did the job very well. Bullet placement and knowing your capabilities is key just as it is with archery or small caliber rifle.

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
I've got better options, so I'll just say that I'd not use a 45ACP to hunt anything IF I had the choice, and I have the choice.

Best of luck to your dad this hunting season.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts

Jeremy
Using a .45 to shoot deer at 25 yds? 1) How is he going to get that close? 2) Can he track a wounded deer for 500 yards? 3) Can he use a .243 or similar with a rest? 4) A .45 ACP is illegal to use on deer in my state of Kansas. 5) All this means is if he wants to hunt set him up with legal equipment of proper capacity to kill a deer. Borrow a rifle if necessary, and use it. disabled people can shoot a .243 without any problems when properly positioned for him even with only one arm.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Will a 45 ACP kill a deer............yes............after all it's been hauling away human garbage (thin skinned two legged bad guys) since the cartridge's creation in 1905 and then later with John Browning's M1911 designed pistol as it was adopted by the US military...........the history of the 45 ACP cartridge is rich, legendary, and successfully ongoing now for over a century.

The "If you can or can't" in reference to state laws I don't know as to your state, however to have the greatest amount of success on thin skinned animals such as deer with the lower velocities generated from the 45 ACP cartridge one will need to stay within 25 to 30 yards if using a HP bullet configuration. Distances beyond this will have effects on reliable expansion as velocities will start to slow past this distance and HP's expansion may not perform. Another possibility with distances beyond 25-30 yards is if the HP does still expand properly there will likely not be enough velocity to have good penetration.

The above scenario is probably the most optimal of choices for hunting with a 45 ACP and of course shot placement is also of high importance. A 22 LR can kill a deer hands down at the right distance and with the right shot placement. Would I choose to use either, well it would all depend on if those were my only options. Personally I use a revolver, but if I only had a 45 ACP I wouldn’t feel out gunned providing I confined myself to my own advice above.

·
Registered
4,449 Posts
Will a 45 ACP kill a deer............yes............after all it's been hauling away human garbage (thin skinned two legged bad guys) since the cartridge's creation in 1905 and then later with John Browning's M1911 designed pistol as it was adopted by the US military...........the history of the 45 ACP cartridge is rich, legendary, and successfully ongoing now for over a century.

The "If you can or can't" in reference to state laws I don't know as to your state, however to have the greatest amount of success on thin skinned animals such as deer with the lower velocities generated from the 45 ACP cartridge one will need to stay within 25 to 30 yards if using a HP bullet configuration. Distances beyond this will have effects on reliable expansion as velocities will start to slow past this distance and HP's expansion may not perform. Another possibility with distances beyond 25-30 yards is if the HP does still expand properly there will likely not be enough velocity to have good penetration.

The above scenario is probably the most optimal of choices for hunting with a 45 ACP and of course shot placement is also of high importance. A 22 LR can kill a deer hands down at the right distance and with the right shot placement. Would I choose to use either, well it would all depend on if those were my only options. Personally I use a revolver, but if I only had a 45 ACP I wouldn’t feel out gunned providing I confined myself to my own advice above.
I don't know where you are getting your info on .45 velocity but here is what remington lists for the .45 auto.

As you can see the 230 grain bullet only loses 30 fs at 50 yards. Expansion will not be affected at that range, large, heavy bullets maintain velocity better then light bullets.

Remington® Express™230835800767
muzzle=845fps 50yards=830fps 100yards=795
don

·
Registered
29,968 Posts
Using a .45 to shoot deer at 25 yds? 1) How is he going to get that close? 2) Can he track a wounded deer for 500 yards? 3) Can he use a .243 or similar with a rest? 4) A .45 ACP is illegal to use on deer in my state of Kansas. 5) All this means is if he wants to hunt set him up with legal equipment of proper capacity to kill a deer. Borrow a rifle if necessary, and use it. disabled people can shoot a .243 without any problems when properly positioned for him even with only one arm.
Once again, Ray is showing us his ignorance.

25 yards is nothing; ever hear of bowhunting? 25 yards would be slightly long shot...

I knocked down my last deer at 23 paces; a clout shot with a handgun, if one knows what they're doing. And it was DRT. I didn't use a .45, but I have no doubt that, given the same shot placement, it would have had the exact same effect: BANG...dead deer.

Just because you're not capable of doing something, Ray, don't assume the rest of us are as limited as you are.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't know where you are getting your info on .45 velocity but here is what remington lists for the .45 auto.

As you can see the 230 grain bullet only loses 30 fs at 50 yards. Expansion will not be affected at that range, large, heavy bullets maintain velocity better then light bullets.

Remington® Express™230835800767
muzzle=845fps 50yards=830fps 100yards=795
don
Thanks Don for stating that the make of every jacketed HP out there must be of equal design characteristics................... and that their reliability to do as they are suppose to at the stated velocities you mentioned for it sounds like you have researched everything thoroughly on the subject.................. By the way I've looked at the Remington Express 230 grain 45 auto bullets and even the Remington's site has the muzzle velocity at 835 fps and 800 fps at 50 yards.

http://www.remington.com/products/ammunition/handgun/pistol-and-revolver.aspx

Have you done any testing yourself? Have you shot a deer with a 230 grain HP from a 45 auto or similar application i.e. 45 colt at the same velocities with a 230 grain HP? I chronographed all my loads so I do know what is going on and use ballistic software. Here is a free ballistics calculator so you don't have to read a box:

http://www.handloads.com/calc/

I've shot 230 grain XTP reloads from a 45 colt traveling along at 900 fps at the muzzle (over 50 fps faster than the muzzle velocity of those Remington rounds) and at 50 yards my reload's projected velocity is right at 850 fps, and its expansion and penetration was acceptable on a doe I took. I will also note that if I would have continued to use this bullet I would have increased velocities to 950 to 1000 fps or so to have better performance at longer distances.

Now let's backtrack a bit, the first go with this Hornady bullet was of a lighter load for a friend's boy and the muzzle velocity was 840 fps, very similar to the standard Remington 230 grain 45 auto bullets. He also took a deer at around 50 yards with a Ruger 45 colt BH and yes you are right larger bullets do hold their velocities better but even at that this bullet traveling along at around 800 fps when it hit was less than desirable. Internal damage was not nearly as significant as the doe I shot. Proof is in the pudding! Approximately the same distance, the same bullet design and the only variable that changed was 50 fps difference in velocity which made all the difference in performance.

What I am trying to say here is that the modest 45 auto velocities of 800-850fps is the main crutch to the bullet design and hunting with this bullet from the 45 auto much past 25-30 yards due to the foreseen drawbacks which is something for one to consider. My suggestion to the original poster was merely stating to take closer shots to have better chances of him having greater success.

Now there is also the possibility of using Cor-bon, Buffalo Bore, Double Tap where their 45 ACP+P 230 grain loads run at 950 fps and even over 1000 fps with Double Tap. These highend loads will definately extend those hunting distances and due to the higher pressures a person may need to change recoil springs to keep the ammo from beating the heck out of their gun.

Wow..................... :shock:

·
Registered
364 Posts
Hunting deer with a handgun always presents challenges, many would disagree with the ability to harvest with a .45. I purchased double tap, 230 grain at 1010 fps. IMO it is a great round for deer at close range. I have not shot a deer with it yet, hopefully this year, but my brother shot a deer with a 230 jhp at 20 yards in south dakota, of course the deer died, but he didnt get the penetration he hoped for.. that being said i wasnt there to examine entry or what bone was hit. Thats why im going with full jacket. I too am a bow hunter, its all about shot placement. The .45 is capable, i personally use a rifle more often than not, but in thick brush, close quarters, still hunting i still like a handgun. I did shoot a doe last year with .44 mag 240 grain solids at 80 yards. She didnt run at all, complete pass thru right behing the shoulder. That gun was a TC 15inch barrel with a scope. More like a rifle. IF your comfortable with a handgun at 25 yards then go for it. Just wait for the right shot.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
230gr flat-nose hard cast or semi-jacketed (exposed flat lead nose) in 45acp is usually a good penetrating round. Makes a bit larger hole than a smooth round nose FMJ (more crush than push aside) and may give a bit of expansion. A lot depends on what the state hunting regulations allow or require. Bullet selection basis should match the known performance of that particular bullet type/weight normally obtained when fired at the velocity you are loading. Some HP's open well at low velocity but fragment at high velocity, others are specifically designed for a high velocity envelope.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Would the federal Hydra Shok ammo work also? I'm asking because with the little nipple in it the hide wouldn't plug the hollow point and it should give it full expandtion? Plus it states it has 900fps at muzzle and 882fps at 25yrds plus at 25yrds it states it has 397foot pounds. Or maybe the hornady 185 Critical Defense for the same reason as not letting it plug up with the hide?

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
Skip the hydro-shok. Expansion would be iffy in the case of any "plug". This 20 yr old tech does not expand reliably through cloth so I would not expect a heavy (more so than a human) skin plug to be much better. Probably just be a more expensive FMJ. In HP's get a modern bullet design.
For best balance of expansion and penetration, stay will a 230gr bullet if you can. A pistol velocities penetration is dependent on momentum, not initial velocity.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Skip the hydro-shok. Expansion would be iffy in the case of any "plug". This 20 yr old tech does not expand reliably through cloth so I would not expect a heavy (more so than a human) skin plug to be much better. Probably just be a more expensive FMJ. In HP's get a modern bullet design.
For best balance of expansion and penetration, stay will a 230gr bullet if you can. A pistol velocities penetration is dependent on momentum, not initial velocity.
Great! thanks for the info, still have 8-9 months til deer season so hope to get all the info anyone can give. I respect the deer so i want to give them the best bullet when i put them down.
Thanks!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.