Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I got interested in 200g .40s&w rounds, I thought I would ask if anyone has seen commercially available .45acp rounds that are heavier then the commonly available 230g?

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
yea but 250 seems to be about the max if you want a decent load. 300grains is really pushing it. you can use any of the 45 long colt bullets, and the 454 casull uses the same diameter bullet. so basicly anything that is .452" will work

how fast do you have your 200grain 40's up to?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still waiting on my order, but according to the manufacturer, this is what can be expected:

990fps 435 ft/lbs from a 3.5" barrel
1050fps 490 ft/lbs from a 4.0" barrel
1100fps 538 ft/lbs from a 4.5" barrel

I'm shooting a subcompact with a 3.0" barrel so I would expect a muzzle velocity in the mid 900's. The 200gr rounds have the same fps rating as my 180gr HST rounds.

With the back pressure associated with the XD tactical, I would expect a muzzle velocity around the 2150fps mark with a 5" barrel. That's supersonic with with 60fps to spare!

It's times like this that make me wish I had access to ballistics jell...

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
I'm still waiting on my order, but according to the manufacturer, this is what can be expected:

990fps 435 ft/lbs from a 3.5" barrel
1050fps 490 ft/lbs from a 4.0" barrel
1100fps 538 ft/lbs from a 4.5" barrel

I'm shooting a subcompact with a 3.0" barrel so I would expect a muzzle velocity in the mid 900's. The 200gr rounds have the same fps rating as my 180gr HST rounds.

With the back pressure associated with the XD tactical, I would expect a muzzle velocity around the 2150fps mark with a 5" barrel. That's supersonic with with 60fps to spare!

It's times like this that make me wish I had access to ballistics jell...
Your estimation of 2150 fps, hopefully, is a missprint!!! :)

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
WARNING 230 Gr is the maximan you can load into a .45 ACP. :roll:

Heavier bulets are only for 45 Long Colt for revolvers and 454 .Casual

Do not attempt to load anything heaver than 230 gr (.451 diameter)for .45 ACP

There are no factory 45 ACP loads heavier than 230 gr.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I've seen 300gr .45acp.

brad
Brad, There are no .45acp in 300 gr. You are missleading some new handloaders. You may have seen .454 casual loads in 300 gr but not .45 automatics heavier than 230 gr.:oops: Also .45 Colts are not loaded the same as .45 automatics, they can use a heavier bullet because some are used in carbines.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I have seen reloading data for 45ACP with bullets as heavy as 260gr. There pretty slow, 725-780fps.

There is very little chance of loading 300gr 45cal bullets in the 45ACP because once seated to standard OAL for 45 ACP the bullet would have been pressed down into the web of the case where the walls get thicker and likely bulged the case. There was a good thread on 300gr bullet in 45 ACP a few days ago.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/102828-300-gr-hornady-xtp-45acp.html

Rambling
mcb

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
I have seen reloading data for 45ACP with bullets as heavy as 260gr. There pretty slow, 725-780fps.

There is very little chance of loading 300gr 45cal bullets in the 45ACP because once seated to standard OAL for 45 ACP the bullet would have been pressed down into the web of the case where the walls get thicker and likely bulged the case. There was a good thread on 300gr bullet in 45 ACP a few days ago.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/ammo-can/102828-300-gr-hornady-xtp-45acp.html

Rambling (I have seen reloading data for 45 ACP with bullets as heave as 260 gr @ around 725 to 780 fps.)
mcb
If you are going to make a statement like the one above you need to back it up with proof. The thread you referred to has been discredited as far as loading .45 ACP with 300 gr bullets. Those 300 gr bullets were for .454 Casual not .45 ACP:confused::shock::oops:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
As folks like rayikeo2 have already pointed out...300gr bullets in a 45acp autoloader are NOT, repeat NOT, do-able.

The 300gr loads are so big, that you cannot load a 45acp with that bullet and achieve even close to tha maximum OAL for the cartridge without causing bulging of the case. Not to mention, putting even a modest powder charge in a 45acp case and compressing it with the 300gr bullet is NOT possible. NO 300gr BULLETS IN A 45ACP!!! PERIOD!!

Now...that said...

Speer and a few other companies do make 260gr JHP .451 diameter bullets that will load and fire in a .45acp autoloader, but may not feed reliably and may cause other feed/ejection issues. With a load of around 6gr of Unique, you can get them up to around 800fps as a MAX load, but I don't recommend it because you may get excessive pressure (>21,000psi) from those loads.

There are reasons that ammo mfgs do NOT make commercial loads heavier than 230gr for the .45acp!!!

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
If you are going to make a statement like the one above you need to back it up with proof. The thread you referred to has been discredited as far as loading .45 ACP with 300 gr bullets. Those 300 gr bullets were for .454 Casual not .45 ACP:confused::shock::oops:
First up I am the one of the poster in the last thread that said a 300gr is NOT possible in 45ACP. The 300gr XTP was designed for 45 Colt, 454 Casual and 460 S&W. I am the one the drew up and posted the picture showing a cross section of the 230gr FMJ and 300gr XTP in a 45 ACP case and why it would probably not work at least no while staying within the standard OAL.

But you can find reloading data for loads heavier than 230gr for 45 ACP. As I said I have found reloading data for bullets weights up to 260gr for 45ACP. The following link will take you to data for four different loads using 260gr bullets.

45 ACP Load Data - Handloads.Com

If you use the pull downs at the top you can see data for 255, 250, & 240 grain bullets in 45ACP also.

If you do some google searches for heavy weight 45ACP loads you will find other data too.

mcb

·
Registered
892 Posts
You based this drawing on a 1.256 OAL, when the max is 1.275. Not a big difference, but it just might keep the bullet from hitting the web of the case. Also consider some other 300 gr. bullets may be a little shorter.

While I still believe it is possible to build a 300 gr. .45ACP round, it is really pointless.

I don't think that anything over 230 is really worth while.

·
Registered
92 Posts
i almost made the mistake of loading 300 gr. bullets for my .45 acp until the wise users of this forum set me straight. let me also say that i have reached the conclusion that if your load manual don't list it then don't try it. after saying all that let me also mention that my lee manual has 260 gr. jacketed data and i have tried it. i tried 3 of the 4 loads listed in the manual with a speer 260gr. hollow point and had good accurate results with 2 of the loads listed at 15 yards with my fnp .45 off of sand bags. i had no high pressure signs on any of the cases. with 2 of the loads i was able to put 5 of 5 in a five inch circle in about a 3 inch group. these were not chronographed. the gun functioned fine with not fail to feed or fail to eject. this was the first 260 gr. loads i have tried and really didnt like them because of the group size but they are do-able but from what i saw its not worth the time to fool with them.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
You based this drawing on a 1.256 OAL, when the max is 1.275. Not a big difference, but it just might keep the bullet from hitting the web of the case. Also consider some other 300 gr. bullets may be a little shorter.

While I still believe it is possible to build a 300 gr. .45ACP round, it is really pointless.

I don't think that anything over 230 is really worth while.
The XTP is probably the wrong choice to build such a load, they tend to have long bearing surfaces. I have a 285grLSWC (HP version weighs 250gr) that easily fits into a 45acp case, I have loaded them in my M625 rev. I don't think another 15gr would be "impossible", but certainly wouldn't be practicle.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
WARNING 230 Gr is the maximan you can load into a .45 ACP. :roll:

Heavier bulets are only for 45 Long Colt for revolvers and 454 .Casual

Do not attempt to load anything heaver than 230 gr (.451 diameter)for .45 ACP
Sorry man, that is just not a true statement. As already stated, SPeer has had data for a 260grJHP for years. I have loaded 250grJHP for the 45colt w/ no problem. Recently loaded some 250grLSWCHP that are based off a LSWC weighing 285gr. They load & fire in the 45acp case. I shot them from a M625rev. because they feed poorly in a semiauto, & you can load them out a bit farther, no mag. They can be loaded to fit into a mag though, I did it to see if they would.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
18 Posts
250-260 gr. bullet loads in both lead SWC and jacketed have been around for years for the 45 acp.

John Taffon did some tests with heavy bullets in an XD a while back for AH magazine.
American Handgunner Taffin Tests

Tried and proven powders are:

Unique
Blue Dot
Acc. #7
WSF
Hodgdon UNIVERSAL clays

I would suspect that when bullet weights get over 270 gr. that you would reach the point of diminished returns with the oal limit and limited powder space available.

Hope this helps.

Doc.

·
Registered
6,612 Posts
250-260 gr. bullet loads in both lead SWC and jacketed have been around for years for the 45 acp.

John Taffon did some tests with heavy bullets in an XD a while back for AH magazine.
American Handgunner Taffin Tests

Tried and proven powders are:

Unique
Blue Dot
Acc. #7
WSF
Hodgdon UNIVERSAL clays

I would suspect that when bullet weights get over 270 gr. that you would reach the point of diminished returns with the oal limit and limited powder space available.

Hope this helps.

Doc.
GunDoc, Proof Accepted....:oops: This is the type of backing up proof we all need to supply when posting on The Ammo Can where misinformation can lead to serious injuries. Thank You for the Link........:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts