Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 2 years ago I purchased an XDS Mod.2 .45. Nice little gun, fun to shoot and accurate, but not reliable as a carry weapon as one out every 10 or 20 rounds would jam. I played around with different ammo, some better than others hoping the gun would settle down. In the meantime I used my 100% reliable 9mm XDS Mod. 2 for carry. I finally sent the .45 back to SA for repairs. An easy process and I just got the gun back yesterday after 3 weeks. They said they recut the slide which seems to be a common repair with varying results. Anyway, I went to the range today and shot off 50 rounds using 4 different brands of ammo in HP and FMJ and so far the gun is running smooth. Maybe a little soon to celebrate, but I figure that is a good start. Thanks SA!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Which area of the slides are they cutting? Only area I can thing of would be the rail at the base of the breech. Got a pic of what they did?
Now that is a real good question. The first thing I did upon getting the gun back was disassemble and inspect it. I could not see anything other than to find one tiny shaving in the gun. Cut and reblued? Maybe just BS'ing me? I don't know. I'm up to over 100 rounds now but did have one FTF, nose up, in the last round of my six round magazine. Much better than it was but for 100% reliability I'm sticking with my XDS mod2 9mm and my XDM in .45. Never a problem with either one using several types of ammo. Too bad. That XDS mod2 is a nice little carry in .45. Next step is to do more extensive testing with the 5 and 6 round magazines to see if the failure follows the 6 round mag. Cost of ammo gets in the way of me doing my testing in an expedient manner.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Now that is a real good question. The first thing I did upon getting the gun back was disassemble and inspect it. I could not see anything other than to find one tiny shaving in the gun. Cut and reblued? Maybe just BS'ing me? I don't know. I'm up to over 100 rounds now but did have one FTF, nose up, in the last round of my six round magazine.

Nose up as in a live round stove-pipe, or another kind of jam?

Mine had the occasional 3-point jam with the nose wedged up against the barrel hood and caught on the extractor, but it was random. Sometimes it would happen early in the mag and sometimes near the end. I eliminated the issue by only using 230gn Sig V-crown or 230gn Speer Gold-Dot but I like to practice a lot and can't find either of those in reloading bullets. I've got tons of Hornady bullets but the 45 Mod2 isn't reliable with them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nose up as in a live round stove-pipe, or another kind of jam?

Mine had the occasional 3-point jam with the nose wedged up against the barrel hood and caught on the extractor, but it was random. Sometimes it would happen early in the mag and sometimes near the end. I eliminated the issue by only using 230gn Sig V-crown or 230gn Speer Gold-Dot but I like to practice a lot and can't find either of those in reloading bullets. I've got tons of Hornady bullets but the 45 Mod2 isn't reliable with them.
Thanks, same jam as you described, nose at the top of the hood, vs jammed at the bottom of the feed ramp. The "magic bullet" for my gun has been Winchester Elite Defender PDX1 HP. Never had a failure with that round, but as it is expensive and often hard to find I have not fired that many rounds of it and have not tested it since SA worked on the gun. I used to keep that in my carry magazine. Now that the gun has been worked on by SA I've ordered some Federal American Eagle 230gr FMJ to try as range ammo. We'll see. At the worst the ammo won't go to waste as the .45 XDM has never seen a round it won't shoot. For me, that long, somewhat unpredictable, trigger pull of the XDS Mod2 makes it a gun that requires more practice than others so I hope these rounds will work out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts