Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 45 XD Service Mod 1 that I dearly love. I have owned it for 16 years and it shoots so good. I can practically drive nails with it within 20 feet. But, it is really hard to conceal. Can anyone help me with some advice on holstering it and concealing it better?? Thanks in advance for all your advice.

· Registered
308 Posts
Welcome to the Forum, From SE Arizona. As far as CC'n the 45, not many ways to do that. Considerations are; Time of year (cold v hot) weather. Manner of clothes you mostly wear. But you do have options, being IWB, OWB or a shoulder holster. It's just your gun is of a size that presents trade offs. Your choice, good luck.

· Registered
115 Posts
Alas, when I discovered my first XD(m) wasn't convenient to conceal, I decided to buy a new pistol (XDs w/3.3 inch barrel). Sneaky Pete makes a holster for the XDs, but not for wider models. Probably not what you wanted to hear. Sorry.

· Registered
1,874 Posts
I carry a P07 .40 S&W concealed most of the time when I'm off my property. I used an IWB (inside the waist band) on my right side. Works great. Much easier to conceal than and outside the waist band holster. Even something like the old Roger's pancake holster I used for years with my Colt Combat Commander.

Lots of IWB holsters (and magazine pouches) out there. Holsters is one of those things you buy, try, don't quite like for one reason or another and end up buying/trying more than a couple before you find one that fits what you wanted.

I've got 4 or 5 for the P07 before settling on the one I use now. A LAG Tactical holster that's kydex with a couple mods I did for the red dot and to keep the hammer from eating on my spare tire above the belt.

· Premium Member
1,209 Posts
Well, there are a ton of holster makes out there, but I like Cook's for Kydex IWB, single-point wide clip. It is harder to find a comfortable position with a larger pistol, you probably will find a good spot. In Leather I like DeSantis in a cross draw, I was thinking of their 'Sky Cop' but they don't have one for your model.

It would be nice if you could wear a 'Safari' type vest with either choice, to hide the grip or the entire holster.

· Registered
123 Posts
It can be done; just remember you have to dress around the gun. I carry m XD45 in an Alien Gear belt holster between 3 and 4 o'clock generally with a hoody or other cover garment. I also carry using a large Bianchi X15 shoulder holster. When the XDm10mm gets home, I'll probably carry using the same holsters, although I have been looking at the holsters from Victory.

This is one of the Bianchi's with a Glock in it, but I can carry the XD in it as well. Under a light jacket or a loose open shirt, it is very comfortable. The Miami Classic is another very good shoulder rig and allows for the carry of two spare mags. The Miami also gives you the option of a vertical or horizontal holster as some folks don't feel comfortable having the muzzle pointing behind you when carrying or drawing and the potential to sweep a bystander during the draw. Just know if you go with a shoulder holster, there is a technique to drawing from one and it requires some practice to do it correctly and safely. Good luck with your search.

Jeans Hand Watch Neck Sleeve

· Registered
1,874 Posts
What I've found (and most of us that carry know) is that the length of the grip frame is a big thing to concealability. The shorter the grip frame, the less chance of seeing the gun under the shirt/jacket.

The length of the barrel/slide is easier to hide standing but can cause issues sitting. Longer barrel/slide can actually result in the end of it pushing against what ever you're sitting on and pushing the gun/holster up enough to gouge your side or pop the holster off the belt. Of course, sometimes that's also affected by how wide you are.

My spare/back up mags. are longer than the mag in my carry pistol. The longer mag. is easy to conceal IWB and I figure if I run the mag in the pistol empty I'll appreciate a few extra rounds in the mag. that replaces it.

· Registered
2,502 Posts
I used to carry mine in a Galco Summer Comfort (SUM440B) @ 6 o’clock or small of the back. Very comfortable and easy to conceal with a longer loose jacket. I had to quit using it in that position because of a bad rotator cuff and an awakening one time that I slipped on the ice, went full horizontal and landed on my back. I’m glad I wasn’t carrying it that day or probably would’ve damaged my spine. It can be worn pretty much anywhere around your belt that will fit. I wear one for my Hellcat @ 4 o’clock position now. I also like the shoulder holsters especially for heavy guns. Carried my P90 Ruger for many years in a Bianchi but those are getting kinda spendy. There’s lots more variety out there now compared to what there used to be.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
I have a 45 XD Service Mod 1 that I dearly love. I have owned it for 16 years and it shoots so good. I can practically drive nails with it within 20 feet. But, it is really hard to conceal. Can anyone help me with some advice on holstering it and concealing it better?? Thanks in advance for all your advice.
Easy chop it to compact size and buy a compact magazine use the full size for reloading - problem solved

· Registered
22 Posts
I have a 45 XD Service Mod 1 that I dearly love. I have owned it for 16 years and it shoots so good. I can practically drive nails with it within 20 feet. But, it is to conceal. Can anyone help me with some advice on holstering it and concealing it better?? Thanks in advance for all your advice.
How awesome! I have had a 4" XD-45 Service Model First Edition (Mod 1) since July 2008. I truly love that gun too! As you probably know, it is a full-size platform that was originally created for the Croatia military and law enforcement who carry theirs OWB. I too have trouble concealing mine. It's not too difficult when wearing cold weather attire but can still cumbersome. I carry mine in cold weather months under coats/jackets, or OWB when appropriate. Eventually, I broke down and purchased summer weather carries and rotate them. My warm weather carries are the Hellcat, Hellcat Pro and a personal favorite, an XDS-45 Mod 2 that I can carry IWB or in a pocket holster. The XDS is a single stack, so I am able to conceal carry one or two spare magazines at the same time.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
I got the chance to shoot a XDS45 I loved that thing. I remember thinking hold on but it actually wasn't that bad. The XD45 is a big gun for CC. As of today if I could CC it would be my XDSC9 with clipdraw. Keep in mind I'm in California.

· Registered
XDm 45 3.8 Compact, ex Alaska State Police, no markings
38 Posts
Easy chop it to compact size and buy a compact magazine use the full size for reloading - problem solved
No, please don’t. There are thousands of compact 3.8s and 4.0s out there, even a few compact 5.0s! I purchased an XDm3.8c and an XD4.0c used for $300 over the last 5 years. Full-size mags fit either. Your beloved gun could semi-retire protecting your home.

· Registered
1,193 Posts
No, please don’t. There are thousands of compact 3.8s and 4.0s out there, even a few compact 5.0s! I purchased an XDm3.8c and an XD4.0c used for $300 over the last 5 years. Full-size mags fit either. Your beloved gun could semi-retire protecting your home.
There's nuthing special about a SFA XD 45. There still in production. The XDM is a newer generation XD. The XD 45 compact was never a desirable gun. That's why it was constantly on sale for $379-$399. Me personally I wouldn't chop it either I would buy a XD subcompact before I'd chop the 45. Where did this Mod 1 name come from? It's a XD 45. The used market in California right is pretty good (with the exception of all the damn cops selling off roster guns for 250%-350% of MSRP), with all the Californians leaving Cali they are selling everything they own knowing they are moving to free states. I just got a smoking deal from a guy who's leaving the state.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
There's nuthing special about a SFA XD 45. There still in production. The XDM is a newer generation XD. The XD 45 compact was never a desirable gun. That's why it was constantly on sale for $379-$399. Me personally I wouldn't chop it either I would buy a XD subcompact before I'd chop the 45. Where did this Mod 1 name come from? It's a XD 45. The used market in California right is pretty good (with the exception of all the damn cops selling off roster guns for 250%-350% of MSRP), with all the Californians leaving Cali they are selling everything they own knowing they are moving to free states. I just got a smoking deal from a guy who's leaving the state.
The Mod 1 came from the fact that the newer XD45 is on the market and I have seen the newer ones referred to as Mod 2.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts