Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm interested in converting an XD45 to shoot 45 Super. The XD has a fully supported chamber and it's slide is pretty heavy so I think it might be a candidate for 45 Super. Has anyone done this with success? If so, whose barrel did you use and what rate recoil spring? I read on a web board that some knucklehead ran a couple hundred rounds of full-house 45 Super through a stock XD45 and it/he lived. :shock: That does not mean it was a smart thing to do so don't try this at home kids!

My intent with this thread is NOT to open a debate as to:
Whether 45 Super was a bad idea to begin with and should be left to die.
How .45ACP cannot be improved and should not be altered as it's perfect exactly the way it is.
Why I don't just buy a 10mm Block.
Why I think a .45 packing 800 ft. lbs. of energy might be useful.

Thank you!

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
There's an old thread that addressed this very subject. Somebody called Springfield and the woman who answered the phone had never heard of .45 Super, so I don't think the issue was resolved.

I'd think that an XD with a heavy recoil spring (heaviest you can find) would handle .45 Super o.k., since a Glock 21 with only a recoil spring change handles .45 Super o.k. I've fired some .45 Super and .450 SMC through my G21, using a threaded, compensated barrel. I personally have no use for the .45 Super, but I'm the kind of guy who feels well-armed with my 9mm G26. :)

I'd think that .45 Super would make a pretty decent whitetail hunting round at ranges out to about 50 yds.

In addition to a stronger recoil spring, it'd probably be a good idea to use a stronger mag spring, as well.

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
Why not just buy a 10mm CBOB?

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
Nice pic, but a non sequitur to this thread! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I have read the thread that Mercmar referred you to as well as several other threads about converting .45acp pistols over to shooting the .45 Super round. I have not personally done this with any of my pistols, but I have shot several hundred rounds out of a Kimber/Ace Custom 1911 in .45 Super that a buddy of mine owns. It is a good cartridge, but if I were you, I'd check with Ace Custom about this issue since they are one of the premier sources for info on the .45 Super and conversions to that caliber.

·
Premium Member
600 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
XD45 Super. That would be sweeeeeetttt. I'm thinking of converting one of my 1911's to that. What would be even better is taking an XD45 Tactical and throwing on a 6" 45 super barrel. :cool:

·
Registered
306 Posts
I've had no problems shooting .45 Super in my XD. George Arms now calls it only +P, but what I purchased was marked "45 Super." It does buck and snort and it does cost, but I much prefer it for my truck gun.

There are numerous manufacturers of .45 Super, and "Buffalo Bore" is one that readily available.

http://http://georgia-arms.com/new45acp230grgolddothollowpointp1000pk.aspx
were they actually loaded .45 Super, or loaded +P in a .45 Super head stamped case??

it would be an option to use a Super case for a +P loading..

·
Registered
306 Posts
Check out the link to it from good old Wikipedia! It mentions XDs by name saying that they will fire the .45 super. (Wiki warns against it though...:-(.45 Super - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
"Only one manufacturer, Heckler & Koch, offers models (the USP and HK45) rated to fire .45 Super ‘out of the box’.[1] Springfield Armory offers the XD that fire +P ammunition without any changes. Although they will chamber, the firing of .45 Super rounds in non-rated standard .45 ACP automatics is not recommended, as doing so risks a case failure in the unsupported chamber and at the very least would batter the slide and almost certainly shorten the life of the pistol."

i'm not sure why there was the inclusion of the XD in that statement.. +P is not .45 Super.. from what i've recently read, there is about a 5000 CUP difference between +P and Super..

although Springfield has the V-16 long slide .45 Super 1911.. i guess SA was the first to offer a production .45 Super..

i wonder if the XD can actually fire the Super, or not.. i have a .45ACP Service.. i guess until i find a way to have a heavier spring, i can't shoot it.. from what i've read, you need a 25lb+ spring..

but i suppose with a Tactical, you could possibly use the Super in it with a spring change.. that is if the stock barrel can take it..

i wonder if Bar-Sto barrels can take the extra pressure, or not..

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I sent an email to Bar-Sto a few days ago but haven't heard back yet. It looks like the guy from Ace Custom 45s is slowing down. He is now only offering conversions on 1911-type pistols and is no longer selling conversion kits or complete guns. At one point he was selling Block conversion kits, parts, complete guns, full-custom 1911s, etc. but now he wants to spend more time hunting and fishing.... I can't say that I blame him! :) I will send him an email and see what he has to say. I will post anything I find out to this thread.

·
Registered
536 Posts
check w/SA. there was a thread a few years ago that said it can be done but not 500 rounds a week!
BTW, i have a super(V16); great gun!
the original guns from SA were stamped "45SUPER" but I think it was Ace had copyrighted that so they had to drop it from the gun and eventually dropped the verbage from their selling pieces(brochures) and website.
I have a Shotgun News that gives recipes for ammo for 45 Super which I use. also, the reloading magazine, I can't remember the name of it but it's on sale at wallyworld has a load for super as well.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
I doubt if there's any problem with the barrel taking the additional pressure of the .45 Super. The problem would be that of frame battering. In my humble opinion, .45 Super, while perhaps suitable for hunting whitetails, etc., at close range, is worthless as a s.d. round. I'd much rather have the plenty-lethal, but less-recoiling .45ACP or +p.

Other than having something to post about on forums like this, I just don't see the attaction to dumping a few more grains of powder into a reinforced .45ACP case. (FWIW, Starline tells me that their +p .45 ACP brass is stronger than their .45 Super brass.)

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
if it was possible, i would like to try .45 Super in my XD.. just to try it..

It's certainly possible, as the .45 Super has exactly the same external dimensions as the standard or +p 45 ACP.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
yeah, but i don't want a KB.. ;)
Jestly, you sure!? XDs don't KB, only Glocks. :cool: It's not going to KB, but you're not going to be happy with the recoil and muzzle flip.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
All guns can KB - not just Glocks.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts