Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys I'm torn between the two. I know well placed shots should be as effective as the other right? Would it be best to just go 9mm?

·
Registered
240 Posts
9 mm is cheaper to practice with and is a plunty effective round ( some will disagree)but 45 is probley more effective with it's size ...post recall guns will have a small roll pin about midway on the grip safety..

·
Registered
5,804 Posts

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
The choice between .45acp and 9mm is really personal. Most experienced shooters will acknowledge that, shot for shot, the .45 is more effective but that depends on a lot of variables. Load selection, target, all can influence such effectiveness, and the 9mm version has more rounds available in the magazine as well. And with modern ammo, there is no doubt that 9mm has become a pretty effective defensive round also. So a lot of things can influence a choice. Recoil of the 9mm will be less, making hits possibly easier, especially follow up shots. Practice would certainly be less expensive, therefore more likely to practice more.

As for pre- versus post-recall, the new or upgraded pistols have a roll pin in the grip safety, as shown the pictures posted above. Older guns not upgraded would not have the roll pin.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
1st question depends on user preference because both are effective rounds

for 2nd question:

Is there an updated production version or does it look the same as the "fixed" ones? I guess what I'm asking is do all new versions have the visible roll pin or have they fixed it without that being visible?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Is there an updated production version or does it look the same as the "fixed" ones? I guess what I'm asking is do all new versions have the visible roll pin or have they fixed it without that being visible?
All new and upgraded/fixed guns have the same visible roll pin.

·
Registered
37 Posts
As others have said, it's pretty much personal preference. I already had a 9mm so I got my XDM in .45. Still just as fun to shoot and gives me some variety.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I'm a big fan of the 45 ACP cartridge, but in an XDs I'd rather have the 9mm. My reasoning is that the 5-round 45 ACP magazines are just too small - I want more rounds at my disposal that what I could get in a revolver.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm a big fan of the 45 ACP cartridge, but in an XDs I'd rather have the 9mm. My reasoning is that the 5-round 45 ACP magazines are just too small - I want more rounds at my disposal that what I could get in a revolver.
That's what I'm thinking

·
Registered
2,765 Posts
I really like my 9mm, accurate, holds more ammo, quick follow up, use gold dot short barrel for SD. Just about what others said above.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I love my 9mm xds glad I didn't go with it but if it handles the .45 like my xdm I could understand why people go with the .45. As stated more rounds. 1 more then their competitor the sheild

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have the 9mm 4.0 I really liked it. I was set on the 45acp but saw this and took it. Do not regret it. Being cheaper was a big thing for me.

I will keep the 45 acp for the 1911 :)

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I have the .45 and I could not be happier. I would choose the .45 acp every time. I started reloading so I could shoot more after I fell in love with the 1911. I am 100% obsessed with all things .45 acp and 100% biased. I make no apologies. As for round count, as I researched civilians self defense shootings I virtually never see a long drawn out Lethal Weapon scenario. I feel fine with the round count with either magazine I pick. With all of that said, 9mm ammo is most certainly cheaper especially if you buy in bulk when you run into the good deals. Recoil is a non-issue. Both calibers are pleasant to shoot with this gun.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I have the .45 and I could not be happier. I would choose the .45 acp every time. I started reloading so I could shoot more after I fell in love with the 1911. I am 100% obsessed with all things .45 acp and 100% biased. I make no apologies. As for round count, as I researched civilians self defense shootings I virtually never see a long drawn out Lethal Weapon scenario. I feel fine with the round count with either magazine I pick. With all of that said, 9mm ammo is most certainly cheaper especially if you buy in bulk when you run into the good deals. Recoil is a non-issue. Both calibers are pleasant to shoot with this gun.
Thanks

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe I should save up for both lol

1 - 20 of 28 Posts