Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How does the .45 GD short barrel stack up against the others in a 3.5 inch barrel?
I have been carrying CorBon DPX but, they are expensive to practice much. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
from what I've herd there no better then anything els. Just a sales ploy

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
the short barrel part is a sales ploy.

·
Banned
284 Posts
from what I've herd there no better then anything els. Just a sales ploy
:roll:
They're designed to expand at lower velocities from shorter barrels.
Speer uses softer lead, thinner plating of copper in the manufacturing process, and a larger diameter aperture. Short Barrel loads may not feed in all autoloaders.

Speer/ATK labs tests and tweaks their ammo to suit specific velocity requirements from shorter barrels, and to achieve 12" of penetration.

To say that it's a marketing ploy is laughable

1lowlife posted some really useful links

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
the short barrel part is a sales ploy.
Obviously you have not shot nor even seen the GDSB loads. I don't believe the plating or core are any diff. but, the GDSB has a larger mouth HP, quite large, designed to expand at lower vel. Nope, not a ploy, they actually do work as advertized.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
174 Posts
Obviously you have not shot nor even seen the GDSB loads. I don't believe the plating or core are any diff. but, the GDSB has a larger mouth HP, quite large, designed to expand at lower vel. Nope, not a ploy, they actually do work as advertized.:rolleyes:
The cavity is also shorter when compared to a normal gold dot.

My XD-45 seems to feed them just fine, something like a 1911 without a polished and throated barrel may have issues.

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I don't buy the whole idea that you need special cartridges for 3" or greater guns. If we were going below 3" then I'd say yes, those SB JHP's are nice. But 3" gives you enough velocity to have good expansion and penetration. The only benefit I see with them is the better powder for less flash.

If this were a .38 snub then I'd say do it. But either way Gold Dots are a great bullet, and I would not hesitate to carry them. MUCH cheaper then DPX, and really just as good.

·
Registered
623 Posts
I carry Gold Dot Short Barrel ammo in my XD40SC. I believe it would open up better in the 3" barrel than ammo designed for 5" barrels. I think I read somewhere it has a faster burning powder in addition to the other differences mentioned.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Well in a SB firearm like my springfield v10 .45 i have been using .185 grain bullets to make up for the lack of velocity. What intrigues me about the SB loads is that they can be .230 grains and still function reliably. I intend on getting some and running them through my Springfield for a function test.:D

·
Registered
1,088 Posts
I know this is an old post but it came up first when I searched for "Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel in Springfield XDs" using Bing.

See the link below for some new and interesting info on the short barrel gold dot versus regular gold dot in a 3" barrel. It is my personal opinion, based upon the link, that the short barrel gold dot is better than the regular gold dot in a short barrel. Check it out. It really shows the difference between the two gold dots.

mousegunaddict.blogspot.com/2012/09/gel-testing-speer-9mm-gold-dot-vs-gold.html

Mark

1 - 11 of 11 Posts