45GAP How do you ike it?

• Love it

• Like it

• Wont last

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
I like if from a package size and ballistics but I'm not sure I would buy one. I have big hands and don't mind the larger grip of a 1911 and 45 ACP ammo is so much cheaper and plentiful. I think the cartridge is here to stay given that companies other than Glock are making guns for it but I fear it will also never make it real big because it will always be stuck in the shadow of the venerable 45 ACP

On a slightly related topic had anyone tried shooting a 45GAP in a 45ACP? Maybe not in a semi-auto but in a revolver. I meet a guy at a USPSA match earlier this year that was shooting 40S&W in a 10mm revolver. He said as long as he used moon clips it worked fine like shooting 38 special in a 357 Magnum. Doesn’t make any sense in this case as 45GAP are more expensive and very similar in ballistic but I was just wondering.

mcb

·
Registered
93 Posts
I love the .45 GAP. Which is why I'm worried it won't last. I got a bunch cheap off a guy who said he couldn't sell it. Which is good for me, but bad for .45 GAP shooters. I think it will stay since Glock is behind it, but it will never reach the popularity of .45 ACP or .40S&W.

To my mind, it will be the counterpart to .357 SIG.

BTW, there is not a single factory .45 ACP semi-auto that fits my hand. Not one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have had a Glock 37 (45 GAP) for a little over a year now and I'm in no rush to go out get an XD GAP. It’s OK, I just don't see a significant advantage or benefit however, getting handguns to fit my hand has not been a big issue for me - so I can’t speak to that dilemma or even if there is that much difference in grip size.

·
Registered
119 Posts
hmmm........let's see, bought an XD-40, then a Glock 21 .45 ACP, then a Springfield 1911 double stack .45 ACP and just yesterday I bought a Colt combat commander 70 series .45 ACP.

Don't see any Gap in my future. Although I'm afraid I might lose the Colt to my wife if I'm not careful.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I am thinking the GAP is here to stay......why modify a great round, the .45ACP, to fit a GLOCK?
Then they sell it and make new guns to shoot it? :roll:

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
ForGreatJustice said:
To my mind, it will be the counterpart to .357 SIG.

BTW, there is not a single factory .45 ACP semi-auto that fits my hand. Not one.
I don't get this statement about the .357 Sig. It must be a regional thing, because it is a ver popular round in TX. It is even the issue caliber for our state police Sig pistols. I can't believe that not one .45 acp won't fit your hand. The beauty of the 1911 design is that you can modify to fit anybody.

ranburr

·
Registered
93 Posts
Let me explain what I mean by "counterpart". The 9mm frame is, ergonomically, historically, mechanically, the standard for handgun design. As such, we're kind of seeing efforts to fit all kinds of ballistics capabilities into the 9mm sized frame. .357 SIG puts fast and light ballistics into that frame. .45GAP puts slow and heavy ballistics into it. Someday, somehow, someone is going to fit .223 ballistics into it (the Saab Bofors round is one attempt..). Fast and light, slow and heavy. That's what I meant by "counterpart".

I can't reach the mag release on a 1911 to my satisfaction. I'll admit that it takes only a little shift of the hand to bring the release under my thumb, but I hate making that shift. I like my guns to fit me better than most. And it isn't the width of any given .45 ACP that's the problem, it's the length. A standard flat mainspring housing doesn't quite cut it.. I haven't tried the super-flat almost non-existent custom mainspring housings. But I'd have to buy a 1911 and modify it just to *try* that.

You notice I said "FACTORY .45". I don't want to drop hundreds of dollars on a gun and then hack it to fit me. I want to buy a gun that works to my satisfaction out of the box. Maybe I'm asking too much in that I want mag release, trigger, and grip to all fit perfectly without requiring any shifting to operate. But if I ask "too much" and the XD45 delivers it, well, isn't that good?

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
If the XD delivers it that is good. Just out of curiousity, have you tried a 1911 with the extra slim grips, flat MSH, short trigger, and an extended mag release? Sorry if I am pushing the issue, but I have never found anyone that I couldn't make a 1911 fit them like a glove.

ranburr

·
Registered
31 Posts
I think it will last for a few years, unless the ammo becomes more readily available. More people will buy it if this happens. I know that if I get a 45 it will be ACP for the simple fact its easier to find ammo. I love the XD and I will be buying another one in a year or two. Probably a 9mmSC. If I want a 45 it will be a 1911 for sure.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Actually, and extended mag release would probably do the trick for the 1911. I've just had bad experiences with them. When I used on on my Glock 23,
the mag would inadvertetly get released over the course of the day. And I'm sure flat grips and zero-profile mainspring housing would help. Its something I might do if I ever come across enough toy money to build a decent 1911 (unlikely).

But setting up for carry is a pain in the butt as it is. I don't have a lot of time and money to mess around.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts