Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So has SA imported any more 45 GAP? Virtually no one has them except for used or customized. The new ones are new "old" stock.

I have sent emails to SA about if they continue to support the line with any newly manufactured pistols and I never get an answer....

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
I want a 5" XD GAP real bad. I found one at a small shop barely used for $360.00. I went home to get the cash and when I came back it was gone!! I would even get one if I could find it in 4".

I have a G37 and I am soooo glad I got the gun. Keep in mind most GAP ammo is loaded to ACP +P specs. 230s are down loaded and a joy to shoot. 185 Silvertips are also down loaded to ACP regular pressure and are a joy to shoot. Hydrashoks, Gold dots and all 200 and 185 ball out there hit real hard compared to ACP regular spec. I can notice a difference. I like carrying 10 230 grain JHPs in a 9mm frame gun and I dont get all the snap and jump a G22 has with that compromise caliber

·
Registered
29,621 Posts
Boris, if you're really looking for one, a local shop has both a 5" and a 4", and has had them for a while--I know they were on the shelf when I stopped by last week, and have been there since sometime last year.

PM me if you want the info.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Boris, if you're really looking for one, a local shop has both a 5" and a 4", and has had them for a while--I know they were on the shelf when I stopped by last week, and have been there since sometime last year.

PM me if you want the info.

I just spent a bunch of money on ammo to keep me shooting through the summer and ordered parts to get the harley back on the road. Darn bikes are just too easy to work on and they eat alot of my money.

Thanks for the looking out. Maybe the OP would like the info. That way I can spread the GAP love lol....

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don't think I would be interested in buying a pistol or a cartridge that may not be around any longer. It does appear that SA is abandoning the GAP. Only Glock is making "new" ones. Yes?

·
Registered
282 Posts
As long as they make 45 GAP ammo I'm keeping my XD. It's the 5 inch version and shoots like a dream. I first shot one at the range the same day I broke in my G22. I shot the XD GAP much better than the G22 right off the bat. I bought that XD GAP two weeks later. Then I sold my G22 which never fit me well at all.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Do a search for 45 gap in semi-auto pistols. Several there
Saw that but it doesn't answer the question - IS SA still making these? Seems to be an answer that SA doesn't seem to be able to address.

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Call customer service and speak to a warm body.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I got an email response...the .45 GAP is dead at Springfield Armory...

Sent: Tuesday, May 31, 2011 9:47 AM

I am sorry to say that no, we are no longer producing the .45 GAP caliber firearms.

Have a great day!
Dawn Oleson
Range Program Coordinator/
Dealer Assistance & Response Team
Springfield, Inc.
[email protected]

·
Premium Member
127,272 Posts
May I respectfully ask why you want one?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Overall - the GAP was just a diversion - I have all the major pistol calibers, never shot one/had one in .45 GAP and probably won't now.

I have a couple of Glocks in 9mm and .40 - no Springfields at all. I think I will focus on a .40 Tactical SA XD as a potential next purchase in a Pistol. The GAP is off my list though....I don't want another Glock and certainly not one in a Caliber that only one Pistol Manufacturer makes now. Too diverse in my interests/tastes...

Thanks for replies...

·
Registered
70 Posts
just curious, what's the thing about having a cartridge that is only 1/8" shorter than a 45acp and between 50-80 fps faster? is that little difference in speed worth the scarcity of finding ammo when you want it? with the 45acp you will be able to find ammo more readily.

from Arizona

·
Registered
92 Posts
just curious, what's the thing about having a cartridge that is only 1/8" shorter than a 45acp and between 50-80 fps faster? is that little difference in speed worth the scarcity of finding ammo when you want it? with the 45acp you will be able to find ammo more readily.

from Arizona
The thing is (if I recall correctly) that the GAP chamberings did not require frames and slides different than the smaller chamberings that were already being made (9mm, .40, 357sig). And as you noted, you get similar ballistics from a smaller package. Then SA did some magic and made a .45ACP pistol only slightly different in dimensions to the smaller calibers. .45ACP is soooo much more popular and readily available....GAP popularity fades...

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
GAP .45 because Glock owners have small..... hands.

·
Registered
282 Posts

from Arizona

For me, personally, I just love my XD 45 GAP. It's a great gun and shoots like a dream for me. And I have no problem finding ammo for it. That doesn't mean I don't want a 45acp some day. But I think the 45 GAP is underrated. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts