Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was recently out at the range and had an issues with my XD 45 gap. There will be times when i am shooting and i will have bullets in the magizine but the pistol witll hold the slide back like I emptied. Could it just be the magiznes have weak springs? Not sure.

Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
2,244 Posts
There are two primary sources of this type of malfunction.

First your thumb may be hitting the slide lock during recoil causing the slide to lock back before the magazine is empty. This is easily tested for on your next trip to the range.

The other cause is a round in the magazine can sometimes rub the end of the post on the slide lock. The magazine follower is suppose to lift this post when the magazine is empty, however if a round hit this post it can engage the slide lock prematurely. I think if you search this forum there is a really good post with picture of an XD-40 were the round would hit that post and how to fix it if this is your problem.

Hope that helps
mcb

·
Registered
2,738 Posts
You could always call Springfield about it.

But before you do, try different brands of ammo. Springfield always asks you if the problem occurs with only one brand.

Tom

·
Registered
889 Posts
I think that the thread that mcb posted about the bullets hitting the slide stop is more then likely the problem. I have had this happen with 1911s before, and taking a little off the slide stop with at file, or if you are realy brave, a Dremel tool. Just watch so you don't take too much off, then the slide won't lock back at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts