Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!

I've been poking around on the forums for a bit, and like what I see!

I'm looking at an XD as a possible Christmas present from the wife (wohoo!), and really like the 4" .45 Compact. The ability to have two different grip lengths and mag capacities is really attractive to me.

That said, I also like the idea of a manual safety. I know some folks have strong opinions for or against them, but it's just a matter of preference. I have a Kahr that has no manual safety and love it.

I've look around, and cannot find an answer one way or another: Does anyone know if Springfield is planning to make the 45 Compact with a manual safety?

·
Registered
787 Posts
I've not heard whether they're planning on making one or not. I have the 4" Compact and love it. I am not opposed to manual safeties, but I don't mind not having one at all on my XD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I don't HAVE to have it, but neither of my other handguns have a manual safety...I wouldn't mind having 1 with it when I want it.

So, as someone who has the compact, do you find the grip difference is helpful for CCW? (As opposed to just getting the plain 4").

·
Registered
725 Posts
I don't carry out and about because I cant. (Stupid NJ)

But from messing around in my house.. that extra 3/4 of an inch or so really seems to make a difference compared to an XD-9 Service when trying to conceal.

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
springer will cut your grip down to be a compact if you buy the full size with external safty.

·
Registered
787 Posts
Yeah, I don't HAVE to have it, but neither of my other handguns have a manual safety...I wouldn't mind having 1 with it when I want it.

So, as someone who has the compact, do you find the grip difference is helpful for CCW? (As opposed to just getting the plain 4").
Yes. It's noticeable. Any longer and I'd be printing something awful (I'm fairly narrow-waisted at 33-34" and 6'2" tall).

If you want the best of both worlds, do as rupert suggested. Just be prepared to pay for it. I find my grip safety to be more than enough "safety" for me.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I find my grip safety to be more than enough "safety" for me.
Absolutely agree!! When I first started carrying I stressed about not having a thumb safety and even considered buying a Service and having it cut down. After spending a lot of time disassembling the gun to understand how the safeties work as well as time on the range I'm perfectly happy without one.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I spoke to a friend with some connections in the industry earlier, and he was able to make a call. For the others who might be wondering, he said there are no current plans to produce the compact 4" .45 with a thumb safety.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts