Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i wish to reload some 45 colt. i have a 200 gr. lrn slug and some vectan ba10 powder. i have their data but all they show using this powder is 250 grn slugs on up. anybody able to educate me a bit for a load for this lighter slug.
thanks,

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
i wish to reload some 45 colt. i have a 200 gr. lrn slug and some vectan ba10 powder. i have their data but all they show using this powder is 250 grn slugs on up. anybody able to educate me a bit for a load for this lighter slug.
thanks,
I haven't used vectan but you can always load a lighter bullet w/ heavy bullet data. So it would be safe to use the max 250gr data for the lighter 200gr bullet.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks for the reply. i'm new at this so bear with me. i may push a wrong button or two before i get all this stuff figured out. according to their data, they list 4 loads using a 250 grn, up to a 260 grn. all are .452 dia. i'll assume that i should probably use the data for the 250 grn since it's closest in weight to the 200 grn.these are just for fun so i'm not looking for anything real hot, but i will eventually be loading a slug of .454 dia. i just wonder what this will do to pressure. i've checked a couple of ratings on this BA10 powder and it's some pretty fast burning stuff. much faster than unique which i normally use. if i can get this to work however, the savings in cost will be substantial.
any thoughts appreciated. :cool:

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Again, it's hard to get into trouble using data from a heavier bullet w/ a lighter one. You are pushing less mass & a shorter bearing surface. Just make sure you do not try & get "close enough". There is no such thing when dealing w/ handloading. As to bullet diameter, if you are talking about .452/200gr vs .454/200gr, lead bullets I assume? There will be little diff. if you are not loading top end loads. If you use data for the 250gr loads & substitute 200gr bullets, you should be fine.

·
Registered
90 Posts
thanks for the reply. i'm new at this so bear with me. i may push a wrong button or two before i get all this stuff figured out. according to their data, they list 4 loads using a 250 grn, up to a 260 grn. all are .452 dia. i'll assume that i should probably use the data for the 250 grn since it's closest in weight to the 200 grn.these are just for fun so i'm not looking for anything real hot, but i will eventually be loading a slug of .454 dia. i just wonder what this will do to pressure. i've checked a couple of ratings on this BA10 powder and it's some pretty fast burning stuff. much faster than unique which i normally use. if i can get this to work however, the savings in cost will be substantial.
any thoughts appreciated. :cool:

Speers Reloading Manual #14 would be a great source of info on load data.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
these loads are going to be for an old colt new service. we've determined bore size is nominally .454. i just don't have a mold yet to cast that size, but i'd like to go "play" with it and i have a bunch of these 200 grn. .452's. eventually, i want to load the .454 dia., probably 255 grn. once i get a mold, i'll be alright with what the printed data is. for now on your suggestion, i'll use that suggested starting loads for that 250 grn. slug. you've all been a big help.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
got ya on the speer manual. my local gun dealer was low on manuals and most of mine are several years old. i'll round one up.
thanks,

1 - 7 of 7 Posts