Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I read online alot about it but just wanted some real life experience input. Decided to get an xdm but just not sure if i want 9mm or 45. I like having 19 rounds but i like the stopping power of the 45. Never shot a 45 before are they harder to control than a 9mm? What caliber do you guys prefer?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I shoot both. In an XDM I shoot the 9mm. My .45s are in the 1911 platform. The extra heft of the all steel guns helps with recoil. I don't think I've ever shot .45 through a full size polymer gun. I used to have an XDS and while not painful not nearly as pleasant as my 3" 1911.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
Plant Flower Petal Drawing Metal

Your choice 13+1 or 19+1.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
When in doubt about caliber, get the cheaper of the two. Unless you just WANT a .45. if no preference go 9mm. Half the cost for just as many rounds. And yes 9mm will be easier to control than a .45 in a gun of the same size.

At this point in time, we are in a "golden age" of firearms and ammunition technology. Its pretty much all preference (as long as you stick to proven and tested items. Stay away from brand new and experimental stuff)

Unless you are going sub 9mm it doesn't matter . Heck even .380 is up there now.

Just keep in mind ALL handguns SUCK at "stopping power" when compared to rifles and shotguns.

Trust in you skill not in a caliber's stopping power.

In short. Get what you WANT. If you don't care which one you have, then get the 9mm. And this is coming from someone who carries a .45, cause i just wanted it.(and the gun was on clearance)

Ignore all "this one is better" posts

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
Oh boy. The age old question! I'll play.

Well I'm no wound ballistics expert, but I know a thing or two. The first thing I should say is that as you probbly know, area, or frontal area in the case of a bullet, does not increase at the same rate as the increase of caliber. A caliber doubled results in an increase of frontal area by a factor of four. So if 9mm is a .355 inch bullet, and the .45 is a .450 inch bullet, the slight increase in caliber results in a modest increase in bullet frontal area.

Some basic history of rounds, which you may or may not know. If you do, then read on.
The .45 was our nations military round from 1911-1985. Some military units use it today. FBI HRT uses it too FWIW. The .45 developed a reparation for good stopping power early, when pretty much the only thing available was ball ammunition, and it was a world better than the .38 round it replaced for the military. At this point, .45 was clearly superior to the 9mm. I believe both ball military loadings penetrate somewhere around 25 inches in ballistic gel.

Next comes jacketed hollow points. This bullet design expands, destroying more tissue, and creating both a bigger permanent and temporary wound cavity. Not all of the early hollow points were particularly reliable, and would often get their cavities clogged in clothing, failing to expand and behaving like ball ammo.

The age of über reliable self defense hollow points are upon us, and the margin of superiority has become very small. Using modern rounds, the gel tests for 9mm, .40, and .45 all look remarkably similar, although the .45's track tends to be wider. Some people say all of the common service rounds are "the same" in stopping power now, but I disagree. I believe the .45 is still ever so slightly more effective than the 9mm.

The bottom line is now, using premium rounds such as the HST's, Ranger T's, or Gold Dots (if you're not, you should be using these for self defense), both 9mm and .45 are both very effective, with the .45 being perhaps slightly more effective. According to some, and I agree to an extent, neither round is as effective as the classic 125 grain .357 magnum load that made the round famous as a people stopper, the 125 grain JHP at 1450 out of a 4 inch revolver bbl, for almost 600 ft lbs of energy; Even more out of a 6 inch bbl.

Hope this helps, but remember, asking which round is better is like asking is coke or Pepsi is better. Opinions are like ani, everyone has one. If I were you I would read some articles on terminal ballistics on the web from reliable sources, and soak up information.

A link to the most effective loads, and a short explanation on ballistics: Best Choices for Self Defense Ammo

The picture below is some perspective on perfectly expanded bullets, the HST from
Federal, which is the top performer right now. It's what's in my nightstand two feet away from me right now in .45.

Attachments

·
Registered
17,808 Posts

.45 is beddah :D

·
Registered
166 Posts
Do like I did - get BOTH.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I have XDm 4.5's in both 9 and 45 and I can barely tell the difference in recoil. They are both two of the best most reliable handguns that I have ever shot.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
Stopping power? Lol :)

Go with what you shoot best. Felt recoil is subjective.

I started out shooting 357 Magnum, then 40 s&w, then 45 acp. I carry both 45 acp and 9 mm right now. Due to the fact just about everyone leans toward 9mm, the availability is up and down. Which is causing me to he hesitant about fully commiting to it.

9mm
45acp
40S&w
357/38 sp

are all adequate rounds for sd. Practice with each and figure out which you shoot best.
The best way I've found to do this is timing my splits. Fire 5 shots at 5 yards as fast and accurate as possible. This means reacquiring sights before next shot. The one with the most consistent group at the shortest split is your caliber to fly with.

·
Registered
408 Posts
I agree with NathanXD. But I want to add that extra capacity in the 9mm is nice. 9mm is cheaper than 45 so more practice for same money. And finally, which do you shoot better? All things being equal, 9mm will have less recoil than a 45. But 45's aren't unmanageable. My wife shoots my 1911. After all, it's not like you are shooting a .44 mag out of a 2" barrel. I like both.

You can't really go wrong here. Which do you want more?

·
Registered
54 Posts
I love my 4.5" 9mm. I haven't shot a .45, but I don't have a reason to.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I choose a .45; mainly for the platform (1911), but also because, well...

There's a reason they keep trying to make little bullets act like big bullets; I've yet to see them try to make a big bullet act like a little bullet.

·
Registered
4,353 Posts
I choose a .45; mainly for the platform (1911), but also because, well...

There's a reason they keep trying to make little bullets act like big bullets; I've yet to see them try to make a big bullet act like a little bullet.
Excellent point.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
Guns are for shooting. Cheaper ammo = more shooting = more fun. Get the 9mm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not so much.

More shooting for less money, yes; but if you're willing to spend a bit more...just as much shooting.

Start reloading and more shooting for less money.;)

·
Super Moderator
46,418 Posts
shot placement>caliber.......

1 - 20 of 95 Posts