Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got all the parts for my Lock n load and am excited to get to reloading some 45 ACP for my XD 45 compact.
The only question I need some help on is what is the over all loaded case length everyone is reloading there's too?
Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
When I get new bullets I normally load them without powder and primer to near max oal and check it in the barrel. I suggest reading what the suggested oal is for the bullet and start at the max and work down to an oal that works. Too long of an oal may have chambering problems.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
When I get new bullets I normally load them without powder and primer to near max oal and check it in the barrel. I suggest reading what the suggested oal is for the bullet and start at the max and work down to an oal that works. Too long of an oal may have chambering problems.
OAL will vary quite a bit depending on the exact bullet loaded. A 230gr truncated cone will be shorter than a 230gr round nose, etc. YOU NEED A RELOADING MANUAL. Too many new reloaders want to short cut the reloading process. The internet is a great data source for everything, but not at your fingertips when reloading. Get at least one good manual, Speer, Hornady, Lee in that order for handgun. Then cross ref. w/ powder company data you have access to on the internet.
When working w/ a new bullet, I load as long as I can & still have functioning ammo. Loading too short can get you into trouble, especially if you are not working your loads up.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
OAL depends on the bullet weight, type and brand. You need to get a good reloading manual.

·
Premium Member
3,663 Posts
OAL will vary quite a bit depending on the exact bullet loaded. A 230gr truncated cone will be shorter than a 230gr round nose, etc. YOU NEED A RELOADING MANUAL. Too many new reloaders want to short cut the reloading process. The internet is a great data source for everything, but not at your fingertips when reloading. Get at least one good manual, Speer, Hornady, Lee in that order for handgun. Then cross ref. w/ powder company data you have access to on the internet.
When working w/ a new bullet, I load as long as I can & still have functioning ammo. Loading too short can get you into trouble, especially if you are not working your loads up.
Thats why I said read what the suggested oal is for that bullet. I do the same thing, start close to max oal and low powder and work the load up. Most of the time the first 20 rounds have too low powder and I get some stovepipes.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Thats why I said read what the suggested oal is for that bullet. I do the same thing, start close to max oal and low powder and work the load up. Most of the time the first 20 rounds have too low powder and I get some stovepipes.
It's one readon I don;t use starting load data, it's almost always going to cause FTF/FTE. I start w/ data in the middle, averaged from at least two sources. Alos, there are many, many bullets available that you will never find any loading data for. It's the reason I use the "load to longest OAL" rule, that provides for good function in your pistol, then work the load up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I'm glad I saw this thread. I have been reloading since 1970. I have not been able to use some of my favorite loads with the XD 45. If I load hot enough to have reliable function, my groups are all over the place with powders Unique and bullseye (these loads are not near max. just hot enough to get reasonable reliablilty.) I have not been able to shoot 200 gr cast bullets at all because of inaccuracy or loss of function.

I have settled on a 240 gr bullet that I cast and a little slower powder 7.5g of BLUE DOT. This load functions my pistol reliably most of the time and is fairly accurate.

I know lots of people do not like to share their load data because of possible liability. I have loaded for years and almost know what I'm doing.

I'm a died in the wool 1911 guy but I like this pistol and am trying to make this thing work for me. I would like to shoot the 200g slugs to conserve lead but will not give up the pistol if I can't.

My pistol is also finicky about what factory rounds it shoots. It likes the Winchester 230g HP Self Defense Load (2 inches at 12 yards.) It absolutely hates the TAURUS 185g Copper ammo (groups about 10 inches at 12 yards.) I usually shoot about 5 shot 2 inch groups at 12 yards without a rest.

Has anyone else experienced this?

·
Premium Member
600 Posts
I worked up a load for my tac with 230gr fmj over bullseye and a good long OAL. I tried running same load through my xd45c and I can't tell if it didn't like it or it was me... but it ate everything! Still getting used to the snap* of the compact. Plus i haven't reached the 500 rd count with it yet.
My SD round is the Taurus 185gr. Both my XDs LOVE those. I can neuter knats with that round!

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
I load the same ammo for my XDTAC as my 1911s. With the exception of the 200grLSWC, my Tac feeds everything else 100%. Accuracy w/ every powder/bullet combo has been good to exceptional, especially w/ Unique & lead bullets, just an accurate shooting rig.
dedbeet, if you are having accuracy problems w/ lead bullts, check your size. You want to shoot at least a 0.452" bullet, even a .453". Run them to 750fps min. & they should fly straight w/ just about anything.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts