Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some LRNBB bullets that measure .451. Are these good to go with my SA 45 ACP compact?
Most of the lead RN bullets that I have seen measure .452 and the plated ones measure .451.

One other quick question. Do I reload these bullets with the same data as the .452?

thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
Use the same data. Each barrel maunfacturer's dimensions are different, and your barrel may be bigger or smaller than "standard". The bullet needs to be gripped tight enough to control it and spin it properly, but not so tight that it produces excessive pressure and leading. You can test your barrel by slugging it. Push a bullet through the barrel from the chamber to muzzle and mesure the indentation of the lands to see how tight the bullet is in your barrel. If you do this, use something that will not damage the barrel like a hard wooden stick, piece of nylon, etc. I've had bullets that were bigger in diameter than was stated on the box and honestly, probably shot just as well as they would have if they were the proper size which was .002 smaller.

Better yet, load a few and shoot them. If the accuracy is good, buy some more.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I agree with the above except it's the groove diameter you want to match +.001, not the distance between the lands. If you push a bullet through the bore (not easy unless it's undersize or very soft) you should see that it contacted the barrel at the bottom of the grooves.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Load them and see how they do. 45acp is pretty forgiving as far as leading goes. You may be ok. Load them just like the .452 stuff.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts