Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 202 Posts

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would like to find a .45 acp to carry. While I own a few 1911's they are just too heavy for me to carry all the time, which is why I often find myself with the LCP in my pocket. So while I am aware that I am asking for something that may not exist, I am wide open to suggestions that may come close. I would like it to be a .45 acp that:

• is relatively easy to conceal so probably single stack.
  • doesn't way a 5 pounds.
  • is not so punishing on recoil that I don't want to shoot it.
In regards to recoil, I don't need it to be a range gun that allows me to throw 400 rounds down range at a time. But I generally shoot at least a few mags through my carry gun every time I go shoot. Maybe the XDs is it, but I have shied away after all the recall stuff/stories. I am open to suggestions, even if it is a Glock. ( I just threw up a little in my mouth. ) :grin:

·
Registered
3,655 Posts
im anti glock also....but i was anti AR in the past, now im wanting one.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
We are similar in thought. I am also starting to be interested in the AR.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
I have shot the XDS .45 and I have to say it wasn't overly snappy. But with a proper grip/technique any recoil can be mitigated.

Rent some different pistols and see what you like :)

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have shot the XDS .45 and I have to say it wasn't overly snappy. But with a proper grip/technique any recoil can be mitigated.

Rent some different pistols and see what you like :)
Agreed. That is my plan but putting together a shopping/renting list.

·
Registered
2,250 Posts
XDs 4.0 .45
XDs 3.3 .45
Glock 30s...

I seem to hear a lot of good things about these three guns. I have shot the XDs 3.3 .45 and it was not as bad as I thought it was going to be. I think my XDsc .40 kicks about the same or maybe more with the snappiness of the .40 round. I chose the XDs 3.3 9mm for 2 more rounds and to have a pistol my wife would shoot... I have not had a failure of any kind with my XDs...

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
you pretty much summed up a XDS .45.. now you just need to decide 3.3 or 4.0

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Kahr CM45. It's *almost* small enough to be a pocket gun, and it's an inexpensive investment, so if you're not happy with it it's no big loss.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,218 Posts
IMHO, I think there is better control over a full sized .45 shooting 165g to 185g than there is with a mini Glock26 9mm using 115g/124g. It's going to come down to your hand size and experience in the long run. Conceal capability relates to clothing choices.

·
Premium Member
4,323 Posts
I bought an XDS .45 right after they were introduced. It was easy to conceal and I loved carrying it.

That was until I bought a 30s. I like the 30s so much that I traded my XDS. For me, the 30s is easy to conceal, and I like having 10/11 rounds of .45 ACP. I can take the 30s to the range & just shoot it until I'm out of ammo lol.

I would rent both if you could & do a side by side comparison. If you lived close to me you could shoot the 30s ;)

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
UJ, since I traded for the G30s I have to say its a very good carry gun. It's not much more to carry than my XDs and I've got 11 rounds of 45 plus a spare mag with 10 rounds I haven't touched the trigger and I can keep all shots in coffee saucer circle firing pretty rapidly. Recoil is nothing to worry about but it does need new sights (I went with XS express).

The M&P 45 would be another good choice.

·
Premium Member
127,996 Posts
I am very pleased with my EDC...a Colt Defender.

·
Super Moderator
46,414 Posts
Glock 30S.....

·
Registered
29,836 Posts
Colt New Agent. Weighs only 2oz more than an XDs, carries two more rounds with a flush magazine, has a much better trigger, and is nice and slim.

·
Registered
3,422 Posts
Thompson :)

·
Registered
782 Posts
My vote for XDS 3.3 .45. Mine is a carry gun not a range toy. 25 rounds is good for my range trip. Good luck on your choice.

Sent from my two-story outhouse.

1 - 20 of 202 Posts