Springfield XD Forum banner

141 - 156 of 156 Posts

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
Does using small primers change thing much. I guess if you use a fast burning powder like Bullseye it would be ok. Is there any change in accuracy or point of impact?
No accuracy or POI issues, but if you are running minor or starting loads, you can lose about 25fps with faster powders like BE. This could compromise reliability. So I bump 1/10gr for such powders if using sp.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
If I had to use them I wonder if Magnum Primers would make a difference.
Yes, with most powders you'll get back that 20-25fps you lost by going sp.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Plated load between a lead bullet @ jacketed bullet. As long as you are not going into max data, you are fine using jacketed data. Start at avg midrange @ work up. Do NOT use max jacketed data unless you are working up to it & even then, at your own risk.
Fred, I'm just now getting ready to load some xtreme 230gr plated 45, because up until now, I've been stocked up or finding very favorable pricing on Hornady Jacketed projectiles [or cashing in on cheap bullets every time I start in on a new caliber with their promo].

Anyway, I'm seeing some conflicting data here on the "load between lead and jacketed data". Some places I'm seeing claims that the best performance with this particular plated brand is to treat them like FMJ, and others saying to treat them like Berry's and split the middle between jacketed and lead loadings.

I can confirm with some bench testing that the Xtreme's are significantly harder with thicker plating than Berry's, but to muddy the waters further, I'm using up the last of my IMR SR-4756. My Hornady 230gr FMJ load is 7.4gr, which the Hornady 9th Ed shows a max load of 7.6, and the Lyman 50th shows a max of 7.0 for a Speer TMJ 230, then the Lyman book shows a max of 7.5 for a 225gr LRN, where the Hornady book shows identical or nearly so spreads with the same min-maxs for a 230gr LRN as they do for their 230gr FMJ for the powders they list for both loads [with published speeds all being within 50fps for the given charges as well], but no SR-4756 load for the LRN.

So with all that, for the powder I'm using, splitting the difference would be to use my normal load?

I'm feeding 7 semi-auto pistols, so hot-ish without maxing or going nuts is kinda where my FMJ development has brought me, and these plated bullets are mainly to return my brass stash back to my ammo stash. Even being sorta near the top, I do get some unburnt powder flecks with some pistols indicating that this particular powder still wants to be loaded heavier, but obviously I don't want to jump way over with these plated bullets.

·
Registered
12,197 Posts
The issue with hornady is rhey are not giving you vel for each bullet type, just a range. There is no way diff bullet types will ever yield the same vel. So my exp, your plated loads will be a bit faster than jacketd. So i would drop my load 2/10gr & run ot over the chrono to check. All things being equal, a drop in vel is a srop in pressurss & vise/versa.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Understood.

Xtreme recommends keeping their plated bullets under 1500fps, which shouldn't be a problem in 45 :-o.

Bullet/Load Info

I was hoping to minimize the futzing around, but there's no free lunch. Thanks for keeping me honest.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
In case anyone was wondering, load Xtreme brand plated bullets to mid-high jacketed data you're already comfortable with and you'll be fine. I tried some starting loads and had my first pistol reloading squib ever, no damage, just annoying.

All worked in now, 6.6gr of CFE-pistol was very nice for me accuracy wise and very middle of the road on recoil. Also tested IMR SR-4756 because that is/was my previous powder, and 7.3gr was the sweet spot, 0.1gr less than my Hornady Jacketed 230gr loads, though 7.4gr was the same accuracy, just noticably more recoil.

I don't think this will translate to other brands of plated bullets such as Berry's, but I am confirming that Xtreme uses a thick plating that prefers to be driven fairly hard.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
QUESTION FOR ALL: I have some 45 185 gr copper plated bullets I'm reloading 45s right now. The website has info for 180 grain and 200 grain. My Lee Reloading book shows the same. Both weights (180 & 200) say 3.5 start 5.0 max. I was going to throw 4.0 in it but was wondering if anyone would think this was a bad idea.

What say you? :)

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
QUESTION FOR ALL: I have some 45 185 gr copper plated bullets I'm reloading 45s right now. The website has info for 180 grain and 200 grain. My Lee Reloading book shows the same. Both weights (180 & 200) say 3.5 start 5.0 max. I was going to throw 4.0 in it but was wondering if anyone would think this was a bad idea.

What say you? :)
What powder? What bullet brand?

Can't speak for all brands, but for xtreme and berry's, I'm at the same charge loads as jacketed bullets in 45acp for my powders. Too low and I had squibs, at the high end was a lot of recoil with no accuracy improvement.

If your sources don't have 185gr listed, sounds like a good excuse to pick up a Hornady or Lyman manual.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
What powder? What bullet brand?

Can't speak for all brands, but for xtreme and berry's, I'm at the same charge loads as jacketed bullets in 45acp for my powders. Too low and I had squibs, at the high end was a lot of recoil with no accuracy improvement.

If your sources don't have 185gr listed, sounds like a good excuse to pick up a Hornady or Lyman manual.
Sorry... I didn't realize I forgot to mention the powder. I am using trail boss. I know it's not great for 45 ACP, but I have extra and just want it for plinking anyways.

Anyways, I think I have it worked out. I started out with 4.0 grains and out of 8 shoots, 3 stove piped and 5 dropped right beside the ejection port. So I'm moving up to 4.4 and will continue from there. My biggest concern was over-pressurizing... not too concerned about that now. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
Wad cutter profiles don't play nice with the XD very often.

·
Registered
13 Posts
What's a ball park cost to start reloading? What's an average amount of time it takes to reload 100 bullets? How much does it cost to reload 100 bullets?

Thank you. Aaron.
To get started, I would look into a RCBS, Hornady or Lyman single stage press, and a set of carbide dies (I always liked RCBS or Redding, but Lyman and Hornady make good stuff). Realistically, it'll take you about 30 to 45 minutes on a single stage press to reload 100 rounds.
If you buy your components right, you can load ammo for quite a bit less than you pay for it. Keep that brass! It will last for quite a long time.
My favorite .45 ACP load - 185 gr. SWC lead bullet, 5.2 grains of Winchester 231. Pick your brass, I like CCI or Federal large pistol primers. This is a not a hot load, but a great load for general target shooting and plinking.
Hope you get started and never look back. It's a great addition to the hobby.

·
Registered
13 Posts
To get started, I would look into a RCBS, Hornady or Lyman single stage press, and a set of carbide dies (I always liked RCBS or Redding, but Lyman and Hornady make good stuff). Realistically, it'll take you about 30 to 45 minutes on a single stage press to reload 100 rounds.
If you buy your components right, you can load ammo for quite a bit less than you pay for it. Keep that brass! It will last for quite a long time.
My favorite .45 ACP load - 185 gr. SWC lead bullet, 5.2 grains of Winchester 231. Pick your brass, I like CCI or Federal large pistol primers. This is a not a hot load, but a great load for general target shooting and plinking.
Hope you get started and never look back. It's a great addition to the hobby.
Whoops - "quite a bit less than you pay for factory ammo". Sorry!!

141 - 156 of 156 Posts